SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   looking for advice on a boat purchase (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/17860-looking-advice-boat-purchase.html)

rireefguy 07-02-2006 11:20 PM

looking for advice on a boat purchase

Any suggestions in the 5-10k range? I live on Narragansett bay and would like to spend some weekends on it with my wife. I would also like to hang out on it at the marina. One boat that is on my radar is a Columbia 26 mkII. I crew on a 34 Peterson and I really enjoy the racing. So basically I am looking for a big cheap boat that sails really well and is perfect to have drinks on. Oh yea, make sure that it has an enclosed head =) =) =) Just trolling for some ideas.

chuck711 07-04-2006 07:46 AM

big cheap boat that sails really well and is perfect to have drinks in the 5-10 K range ........... No Problem The next time a hurricane hits Grenada or if it hits Trinidad run down there really Quick. Thats when the best bargains are to be found. When Ivan hit Grenada I saw a 51 ' Shannon
that was fairly new go for 30K .

Hawkeye25 07-04-2006 10:23 AM

Just like Charley Brown

Years ago, in a Charley Brown comic strip, Charley says to Linus, "Sometimes I dream about being in the bleachers in the outfield, and a home run is hit, and I catch it, and a coach says 'Sign that kid up!' Do you think any other kids have that dream?" And Linus replies, "Only every other kid in the world."

But, hey, what the heck? Keep your glove on: it could happen.

wlcoxe 07-04-2006 10:52 AM

Nice sailing "Big" boat

I have a 1979 28' ODay, with an enclosed head, with sails about 3 years old, that I could probably negotiate down around your price range. If interested, and I know I am, cotact me via Private Messaging and I'll send you the particulars.

Bill

[post edited by the SailNet Administrator to remove an email address]

sailingdog 07-04-2006 11:49 AM

Whatever boat you decide to get... get a survey done, by a surveyor you hire, and preferably not one recommended by either the seller, broker, marina, involved with selling the boat.

rireefguy 07-04-2006 08:41 PM

I know I know... I am asking a lot. I am just trying to generate some ideas that I may not have thought about. Life is all about compromises, right? LOL... As for the survey, I have a huge edge. I am friends with an excellent surveyor who will tell me the truth.

infonote 07-06-2006 07:22 AM

Follow these few basic steps, as well as from other members from this forum.

1) Make a survey - Compulsary
2) Check Engine, keel, sails etc by going on a test drive.
3) IMP - check for Osmosis.
4) Get all relevant documents of previous owner:

When last surveyed, last engine maintenance, any problems encountered with boat etc.

administrator 07-06-2006 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlcoxe
I have a 1979 28' ODay, with an enclosed head, with sails about 3 years old, that I could probably negotiate down around your price range. If interested, and I know I am, email me at xxxxx@hotmail.com and I'll send you the particulars.

Bill

as a note: it is not a good idea to divulge your email address in posts. This is because there are automated page "scrapers" written by spammers that search websites for email addresses to target for spam.

Do not post your email address inside messages on the forum. Instruct other forum members to contact you via the "PM" Private Messaging feature of the forum if you wish to be contated.

regards,

Jeff
SailNet Community Administrator

sailingdog 07-06-2006 04:18 PM

Very good point Jeff... but I'd also point out that Hotmail accounts tend to get spammed a good deal anyways... :D