Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6 Days Ago

roper99 is on a distinguished road
Safe clearance from overhead high V lines?

Safe clearance from overhear high v. lines?
corrected to:
Safe clearance from overhead high v. lines?

My mast reaches 40' from the waterline. Can I pass under High Tension Lines that are 50' above the water, assuming calm water, no surges or wakes?

Specifically, NSTAR has a cable height of no less than 50 feet at mean high tide, across the Weweantic River from Marion to Wareham near Briarwood Point.
Reference navigational chart 13236.

Is ten foot a safe clearance, in summer, dry air ?

Last edited by roper99; 6 Days Ago at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 6 Days Ago

Group9 is on a distinguished road
re: Safe clearance from overhead high V lines?

I worked for a company that constructs high power lines between high school and college. Here is the problem. You have a lot of variables.

One, the voltage. Those transmission lines can carry 7,000 110,000 or as as much as 750,000 volts depending on where they are. Obviously, the more voltage, the more chance of an arc.

Two, the humidity in the air makes a huge difference in conductivity.

One of the biggest scares I had working there was picking up a dead cable laying on the ground, under a 110,000 volt transmission line, and getting knocked on my ass, just from the static electricity that passed through the air to that cable on the ground.

The answer is, no one can tell you the answer for certain, but after seeing these lines arc a lot of times, to things near them, I would say let extreme caution be your guide.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
Old 6 Days Ago

knuterikt is on a distinguished road
re: Safe clearance from overhead high V lines?

Not so difficult I think

Find the reference used in your chart - Norwegian charts use HAT, read more here

My charts give the safe clearance at HAT
This is from a raster chart

This from vector of same area

It won't make sense that each navigator should know how to calculate safe distance.

Around here we need to look out for storm and spring-tide that can go high above HAT.
This is data from 1987 - the black line is the calculated level - the blue i real data during as storm that stuffed data into the fjord.
Old 6 Days Ago
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Safe clearance from overhead high V lines?

there's a set of high wires over the Delaware River near the Burlington Bristol Bridge and they SCARE me! I know they are high up there, but I just have this fear and don't touch any metal when going under! ( like that would save me ) LOL

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 Days Ago

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

The clearance on charts is typically at the low point of the cable at high tide. If water depth is sufficient pass under the cable closer to the tower where the cable clearance is greater. I have felt the hair on the back of my neck standing up as I pass with plenty of clearance under overhead power lines in high humidity.
Old 6 Days Ago
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

gotta wonder why or if wires power companies are not responsible for the problem more or equal to the mistake boaters make when going under.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 Days Ago

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

roper-
You might ask the USCG, or the local electric company. Whoever owns those lines will know how many volts are running through them, and what the safe air gap distance is. I've seen videos of the huge circuit breakers at transformer stations, they need an air gap of several feet to break the connection.
Old 6 Days Ago

k7el is on a distinguished road

As has been mentioned, there are a lot of variables including line voltage, temperature, conductor loading, etc. But in the US, power lines crossing navigable waters where sailboats are permitted have higher clearance requirements above ground.

The goal of the standards is to avoid the need for every boater to have to attempt to calculate the safe clearance. I would not be overly concerned with a 40 foot mast if there are routinely sailboats passing under the line.
Old 6 Days Ago

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

Would the insurance company consider knowingly violating minimum safe clearance and intentional act? They could easily not cover that.
Old 6 Days Ago
Load Bearing Member

CarbonSink62 is on a distinguished road

I have worked with high voltage equipment in the past. The rule of thumb was one inch for every 10,000 volts. This was DC voltage, the overhead wires are AC. I don't know if that makes a difference.

Using that rule, a 120kV line needs an air gap of only 12 inches. As Group9 has also seen, the HV can create a static electric charge in objects much further away. I saw a set of metal shelves (on rubber wheels) charge up and arc to one of the building's steel trusses. The shelves were 6-8 feet away from the HV source and a few inches from the truss.

1978 Bristol 29.9 #122

Testing a mother's love since 1962

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.