Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Days Ago
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
To Sail or to Sit

The last couple of years I have left my boat in Florida so as to be able to visit folks and to sail in warmer climes. What I have found is that I am doing a lot LESS actual sailing down there. It seems like there are hundreds of really big, really expensive sailboats covered in canvas and plastic that never hoist a sail. Along the eastern coast of S. Florida, in and around the ICW, it seems there are not that many places to put the sails up and go. Inshore waters are very shallow and most of the inlets from the ocean are far from wherever the boat is. Most are shallow and nasty except for the few class A inlets. Even if you can get to the ocean for a sail, The Gulf Stream hems you in for weeks at a time from getting offshore if there is any sort of north wind. I am really missing the NE, with its abundant sailing waters and short season.
Old 4 Days Ago

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: To Sail or to Sit

An hour out, an hour back makes a 2 hour sail a bit of a pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 4 Days Ago

donjuanluis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to donjuanluis

In my opinion bigger boats require more crew, and much more effort to move and stop for a short day sail. At the same time, every where may be different, but is more common to see people busy in a lot of non sense stuff...for instance wasting time in social media. Somebody could say I'm wasting time right now, may be true, but I'm sick, so need to be at home reclusion.
Just can't wait to get to the boat, hoist the main, unfurl the jib and splash the waves!!! I did a lot of sailing last winter up here (Rio de la Plata), but also enjoy sitting in the boat at mooring, watching the move in the marina, with some Caipiroska at my hand.
Cheers...
Old 4 Days Ago

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

You mean, your boat is in FL year round and you do not have one in the Northeast, but you live in NY?

I've known several who have tried that and given up eventually. I would have been tempted, if not for seeing it universally fail. Our boat is in the water from Apr 1 to Nov 1 each year, then goes on the hard. We find it substantailly less expensive to just charter a bareboat for a week in the winter, which is about all the time we have to get away anyway. Even two weeks chartering would be less expensive that putting ours down there for the season. Beyond that is a dream of having time to get away anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 4 Days Ago

Tempest is on a distinguished road

I have contemplated the Snowbird thing for awhile now. I have come to the conclusion that Sailing in the Northeast ( from the Chesapeake north) provides the most enjoyable sailing for me. My thoughts when I pull the plug on work (for the second time), is to sell the house stay on the boat and cruise up here "in season", and find a warm hidyhole for the few months of winter.
I will probably rent, until I determine I like a location enough to buy something.
Old 4 Days Ago

rbyham is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a tough situation. I would not have guessed South Florida less than ideal for sailing but hearing your story I get it. Seems the solution is either match the water to the boat or match the boat to the water. If day sailing is your thing maybe something smaller and shallow draft than an Albert 35. I would never suggest a cat to an Albert owner but for myself it would be a "whatever it takes" kind of thing. gotta sail. So either a different boat or different water. Maybe move closer to Keys. I got a nice shoal draft classic I'd trade even for the A35 :-)
Old 4 Days Ago

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

Not sure whether you are limited only to the ICW in SE FL, but there are other places in FL that have better sailing...I would suggest the Ft. Myers or Tampa/St. Pete area...or in the panhandle from Carrabelle over to Pensacola...not to mention the keys...
The Following User Says Thank You to nolesailor For This Useful Post:
smurphny (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road

west coast of fla--the forgotten coast--is most nice and not as crowded as is the east coast of fla.

formosa 41, cruising tropics

The Following User Says Thank You to zeehag For This Useful Post:
smurphny (4 Days Ago)
Old 4 Days Ago
Over Hill Sailing Club

Thanks for those replies. I will definitely have to check out the west coast of Florida next time down there. Maybe I'll see how much mud I can stir up going through the Okeechobee Waterway:-) I have heard that Texas, around Aransas is pretty nice too, less developed than Florida.
Old 4 Days Ago
Over Hill Sailing Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
You mean, your boat is in FL year round and you do not have one in the Northeast, but you live in NY?

I've known several who have tried that and given up eventually. I would have been tempted, if not for seeing it universally fail. Our boat is in the water from Apr 1 to Nov 1 each year, then goes on the hard. We find it substantailly less expensive to just charter a bareboat for a week in the winter, which is about all the time we have to get away anyway. Even two weeks chartering would be less expensive that putting ours down there for the season. Beyond that is a dream of having time to get away anyway.
Yes. Thought I'd try keeping her down there so I could escape winter occasionally when I felt like it. I did not anticipate the lack of actual sailing that went along with the idea. It is really nice to visit down there but it seems I have given up sailing in exchange for a floating vacation home:-) I'm retired and have lots of time but get tired of being aboard after a couple of months, especially when the sailing is so limited. My boats have always been in the NY area, either on Champlain or on LI and I have, for many years, cruised the NE, from NYC to Maine. The cost of keeping the boat down that way is a bit more expensive than up here but not by enough to make a real difference. Another thing I miss is being able to work on the boat at any time. I don't like the idea of only working on the boat when it gets moved to the "work area." That seems to be the custom down there. It results in having to squeeze any work into a limited amount of time.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.