Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2006

jayar is on a distinguished road
Baltimore to Upper Hudson River

I've got a 26 foot columbia MKII and I'm moving from Baltimore to the Hyde Park area in new york.

I'd like to sail my boat there instead of having her put on a trailer. How much time would be a safe bet to leave for the trip? I'll have one or two people crewing but would still like to find a marina each night on the way up. Any help or insight it much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Well, it's a tough sail up to that part of the world. If you go North you can anchor at the Sassafras River but then you have the Delaware Bay which can be brutal. You want to try to time the tides because the current is quite strong. Once you get out of the Delaware Bay, you really only have Cape May and Atlantic City. Both of these inlets are very difficult if not impossible to enter at night without Radar. Believe or not, its easier just to do your trip in one shot. Depending upon wind, tide and weather, figure 3 days for that trip.
Old 07-10-2006

eau-de-vie is on a distinguished road
It is all about the currents. You need to time it so you have the currents with you in the C&D as well as the Delaware River and Delaware Bay. I would try to make Engineers Cove on the C&D canal on Night one and anchor. A marina in the Canal would be Summit North. From there you would try to make Cape May, but the current in the Delaware needs to be with you. Be careful if you want to take a slip at South Jersey Marina becuase they have a current near the dock as well. I tend to anchor behind the Coast Guard Station - Shallow but doable. Heading up you have some questionable inlets - Look for Atlantic City or Point Pleasant. As the best. If you get Stuck for a place to anchor beyond that you would could drop the hook behind Sandy Hook (no pun intended). If you are looking for a marina - check out Liberty Landing on the Jersey side. When I went via the EAST River not the Hudson. Keep in mind that the Hudson is tidal and has currents too... Dave

Last edited by eau-de-vie; 07-13-2006 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2006
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Let me try to pin it down a bit:

1st day to C&D canal and marina.
2nd day LONG day...up at dawn and down to Cape May marina.
3rd day Atlantic City...Trumps Expensive Marina
4th day Manaquan Inlet Marina
5th Day Sandy Hook Marina
6th day Arrive Hudson River...maybe Haverstraw Marina.
Given a weeks worth of travel on a small boat, I'd allow two weeks for the trip and maybe a bit more.
Suggest WATERWAY GUIDE NORTHERN EDITION for good info on harbors and marinas and the Maptech Chartkits for navigaiton.
Old 07-10-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember that the New Jersey coast line is pretty hostile in bad weather, and few of the harbors are actually safe to enter in bad conditions.

I would also avoid sailing on a fixed schedule, as there are often things that will crop up on a longer voyage that will make it far wiser to delay that to push on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2006

Dave A is on a distinguished road
Myself and a friend just completed the trip from Rock Hall to Marlborough NY, 7 mi. N of Newburgh N.Y. Day 1; Rock Hall to Engineers cut on the C&D canal, anchor out (the only day we anchored) Day 2; leave early, 6AM and made Utches(sp) marina in Cape May by 6PM with the wind on the nose using the iron jib and 2 to 3 ft seas. Day 3; Cape May to Atlantic City, left CM on a falling tide had favorable wind also using the iron jib, by 10 AM we had 4 to 5 ft seas and 25 knot winds a rough ride but a fast one, arrived at AC riding in on the end of the rising tide stayed at Kammermans ($2.00/ft + $5.00 for electric). Day 4 inside on the intercoastal, I draw 4' with the CB up left on a rising tide had an interesting trip, we wanted to see the bays and estuaries stopped at Pier One Resturant & Marina it's located on the north side of the bridge across the bay to Tom's River. If you eat in the resturant the slip is free including electric, the food was good. Day 5; out Manisquan inlet, very narrow with a lot of traffic, went out on the falling tide, very swift current. Favorable wind calm seas made Coney Island by 6 PM stayed at Marine Bay Marina $2/ft + $5 electric, not much in the way of accomadations but a sheltered place close to the Narrows Bridge. Day 6; NY harbor and up the Hudson River to Terrytown. The trip through the harbor will keep you busy but it was worth it up the Hudson past Manhatten was very interesting. We hit the falling tide in the morning and did our site seeing at 3.5 MPH untill about noon, the Hudson River tidal current is a force to be reconned with, however it was a pleasent day. The Terrytown Boat Club & Resturant was a great place to stay, we got there at about 5:30 PM, people were very nice and the resturant has great food. Day 7; short hop to Malborough arrived at noon.

As far as the inlets go, Atlantic City (Abscone) and Cape May are wide and easy to handle on the proper tide or slack tide, Manisquam is narrow and should be taken at slack tide as you also have lift bridges to contend with along with the Point Pleasent Cannel which is also narrow.

All in all a very interesting and enjoyable trip. We had planned to take a week and we did. I hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did.

Last edited by Dave A; 07-11-2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-12-2006

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Buy copy of ELDRIDGE you will find the entire route well documented including a lot of tide and current information for planning the trip. If the wx is rough, you'll need to stay inshore but if the wx is good, by all means head out and enjoy the ride.

The warning about the Jersey shore should be taken seriously--I knew someone who was lost and presumed drowned within sight of the shore, the shoals run much further out than you would think and opposing wind and water can make for some nasty waves and slams on the shoals.

But given good wx, this can be a beautiful passage. Coming into NY harbor at night from the sea is a beautiful sight. Just beware the commercial traffic--some don't keep any watch, others can't manuever because of channel restrictions.
Old 07-12-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Dude: Trust me when I tell you Atlantic City is very difficult to enter at night. It's backlit with 1000 times more light than Edison could have ever imagined. If there is any kind of wind or swell you will never get in there without Radar. I think the advice that the other posters are giving is solid...just time it so you are not negotiating New Jersey Ports at night.
Old 07-13-2006

SoOkay is on a distinguished road
I think you have recieved really good advice. Most important is to remember to stay flexible.

We sailed from Annapolis to Sandy Hook. Our first night was in the C&D Canal and we planned to spend second night in Cape May. We were making good time and staying ahead of a front so we bypassed Cape May and decided to sail straight thru. If the weather changed, we assessed our options as turn bak to Cape May, head for AC, or sail thru what came our way.

So the weather turned and in rough sea at night we entered Absecon for the first time ever. Here is what I learned:
1. My 3 month old (and updated) charts did not jive with what I saw
2. Buoys were hard to make out against Atlantic City lights.
3. Upon enetering the channel there are Jettys to port and shoaling to starboard. The shoaling is marked by unlit buoys.
4. Once you make a turn to port, motor past the coast guard, the Marina has plenty of room to maneouver.

A smaller boat was following us in (I don't think they had radar) and they ran aground.

I would make the trip in one shot after coming out of the canal if I could, and anchor for a "recoup" night inside Sandy Hook (or stop at Sandy Hook Bay Marina or Atlantic highlands Marina) before heading up river. As bailout options I would consider Cape may and Absecon, but would try and avoid manesquan.

If you still want to stay at marinas:
1 st night in the Canal
2 nd night in Cape May (short day)
3 rd night Atlantic City (Don't loose all your cash, you'll need fuel soon)
4 th night Atlantic Highlands (fuel) or Sandy Hook Bay Marina (no fuel)
5th night in new home

If you've found this helpfull and want to pick my brain feel free to do so.

Harry
Old 10-16-2013

Fish-the-5th is on a distinguished road
Re: Baltimore to Upper Hudson River

Most of these responses are larger boats than yours and will have higher hulls speeds and larger engines to motorsail if needed. To be safe, you may need as much as 2X the time they took and with the currents involved and your lower hull speed, you may need to anchor and wait for both favorable tides, currents, and wind conditions. Just a reality check from a small boat owner.

Alston Davis