Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Johnniegee is on a distinguished road
Camp stove on a boat

I am thinking of using a Optiums hiker stove runs on white gas, kerosene, diesel and jet fuel.
Have a tiny boat and like hot oatmeal for bf + would like to fry some fish -- thoughts?
TQA and christian.hess like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 4 Weeks Ago

RichH will become famous soon enough
Re: Camp stove on a boat

All the backpacker stoves are easily knocked over, especially when loaded with a fry pan and contents ... especially prone to falling over on a boat that can 'rock'.

A better choice would be a flat table-top Butane stove - IMO
Amazon.com : Camp Chef Butane 1 Burner Stove with Camping Case : Indoor Camp Stove : Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com : Camp Chef Butane 1 Burner Stove with Camping Case : Indoor Camp Stove : Sports & Outdoors

BubbleheadMd and travlineasy like this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
islander bahama 24

newhaul is on a distinguished road

Or build a base like a couple pieces of plywood about a foot sq with hole in middle fro stove to sit in to stabilize it YMMV the important thing is to make sure it is stable and won't fall over when lit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

celenoglu is on a distinguished road

In my opinion Optimus should not even be used in a camp area.
jwing likes this.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
"Nubile Southern Sailor"

christian.hess is on a distinguished road

look up james baldwin gimballed mountaineering kerosene stove

its about the best solution to this question

while not propane its kerosene and does very well

fwiw I cruised on my boat on a gimballed stainless 1 potter using mostly coleman propane and or torch propane bottles found all over the world in hardware stores

very $$ friendly and not as complicated as a full propane system on bigger boats however there is a degree of filth and care needed for the small propane tanks as they RUST and leak every once in a while...

we had to leave them outside always and as you know this causes issues like moistrure and rust etc.

so back to the kerosene gimballed solution you just have one external filler jerry can and prime and pressure as you go

peace
harmonic likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

I might consider finding a space for it and adding some 1/2 sq battens to act as fiddles just in case somebody wakes you.

For the same reason wire fiddles to retain the pot are a good idea. A couple of wire coat hangers are a good start.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)

mad_machine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichH View Post
All the backpacker stoves are easily knocked over, especially when loaded with a fry pan and contents ... especially prone to falling over on a boat that can 'rock'.

A better choice would be a flat table-top Butane stove - IMO
Amazon.com : Camp Chef Butane 1 Burner Stove with Camping Case : Indoor Camp Stove : Sports & Outdoors
ever read some of the horror stories with those butane stoves? I know they are supposed to back the cylinder out when they get too hot, but in many of the cases I have read, they don't and makes a huge fireball when the cylinder explodes.

In the end all that matters is how fully you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things that did not belong to you -Buddha

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Summmitfun is on a distinguished road

John,
I've used Optimus & MSR stoves while mountaineering. While Optimus has a little more stability, I would not suggest either. The cartrige stoves have a high center of gravity & will tip over if a large pot/skillet is off center. The external white gas models require priming & the fuel spills easily out of the cup; I almost had my tent burned up, with me inside, from someone with an MSR next to me on Denali. MAYBE a Coleman portable, but that comes with ventilation worries & a way to secure it.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

I bought a Forespar mini-galley a few years ago. Forespar Mini-Galley Hot-SpotAll I can say is that it works marginally in moderate conditions but can send stuff flying if it's rough. Ask me how I know this:-) It also is not hot enough if used up on deck to make coffee (why I bought it) if the wind is blowing a bit. I would not want to rely on one of them. You need something well attached whether gimbaled or not.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian.hess View Post
look up james baldwin gimballed mountaineering kerosene stove

its about the best solution to this question

while not propane its kerosene and does very well

fwiw I cruised on my boat on a gimballed stainless 1 potter using mostly coleman propane and or torch propane bottles found all over the world in hardware stores

very $$ friendly and not as complicated as a full propane system on bigger boats however there is a degree of filth and care needed for the small propane tanks as they RUST and leak every once in a while...

we had to leave them outside always and as you know this causes issues like moistrure and rust etc.

so back to the kerosene gimballed solution you just have one external filler jerry can and prime and pressure as you go

peace
Classic! Christian I've seen a few of these over the years

My boat is for sale.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.