Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Surfnrg- Ahh...that makes much more sense.

One problem I see with the Colligon swivel is that you can't really adjust the scope if you have a problem.

Is the mud firm or loose...in a firm mud bottom, both will hold fairly well, but in a looser mud bottom I think the fluke anchors will hold better..especially if they bury.

The link that Rick posted clearly shows using the shallow draft of a multihull to best advantage, as well as the triangular anchor arrangement that some of my friends have used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2006
Anchorsmith

Craig Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfnrg
Was looking for advice on the best way to anchor a 35 ft. Wildcat Sailing Catamaran. Beam is 21.5 feet. She weighs 11,000 lbs but has high freeboard. Is it best to use a bridle and if so where can I purchase one or learn how to make one? I've been running a single line (3/4 inch 3 strand nylon) through the anchor roller and securing to the windlass using chafing of course near the anchor roller. Also, was wondering how effective it would be to use a three point anchoring if a hurricane rolls through. thinking of using two danforths 180 degrees apart (a 15 lb. FX-23 Fortress along with a 20 lb steel Danforth) then with a 35 lb. CQR up the middle with longer scope as my primary. The bottom here in Central East Coast Florida is mud and sand mix. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
One thing: why are you favoring this set-up? It is designed to prevent the boat from sailing around and can only be used when the wind/tide is going to be from the one direction with little variation. The Danforths will provide much reduced holding power for the direction you care about if set 60 degrees away from the main rode like that.

Furthermore a 35lb CQR is completely inadequate for your boat, especially in mud (if it's soft) and most especially for storm anchoring. You need to trade up to a bigger and/or better anchor if you're going to rely on a single hook as a primary.

For storm anchoring, you should probably be looking at tandem anchoring, although you can't do it properly with the anchors you have, and you also haven't discussed your rode in detail.

As far as attaching it all to the boat, yes a bridle is probably best, although it depends to some extent on your particular boat. Find out if other owners use bridles. Is the boat well set-up for it?

Bridles can be made up for you by most chain and rope suppliers. Costs are usually reasonable. Find someone that seems to know what they're talking about.

Sailnet Disclosure: Craig is the son of the designer of Rocna and has a financial interest in its success.
Old 07-19-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
Craig

Have you ever set up a Catamaran for storm anchoring?

Rick in Florida
Old 07-20-2006

surfnrg is on a distinguished road
Just received the Colligo Eng. swivel in the mail. Looks pretty darn heavy duty. Pretty clever device containing Six Large 5/8" shackles - three on each side of the swivel - this one made specifically for a multihull.

Here's what I'm thinking as of today for a hurricane anchoring setup: This is based on what I have in my inventory or will have soon on hand.

Boat, LOA, Beam, Weight: My boat is a 2001 35 ft Wildcat Catamaran with 21.5 ft beam and 11,000 lb displacement that draws 3.5 feet.

Depth and Bottom Conditions: Five to Six feet of water in a predominately mud/sand mix bottom. I'll anchoring in a semi protected area that's a little more exposed to the SW than other angles.

Anchoring Setup: 3 Anchors set at 0 degress, 120 and 240 degress from each other.

Rode #1 Fortress FX-37 with 40 ft. of all chain rode (3/8" HT) to the middle shackle of the Colligo swivel. This anchor will be placed in the direction of where the forecasted predominant wind will be coming from.

Rode #2 Fortress FX-23 with 50 ft. of all chain rode (5/16" Proof Coil) placed in the direction of where the wind my be forecasted to begin to shift towards.

Rode #3 Delta 35 or 44 lb fixed plough with either (A) chain rode combo consisting of 25 ft of 3/8" Proof Coil with 35 ft of 3/4" 3 strand nylon (60 ft total length) or (B) 60 feet of all chain rode (5/16" Proof Coil). Which do you think is best, A or B?

I have a 35lb CQR but not sure if I should use this in a storm.., I hear claims that the fixed shank Delta will hold better than the swiveling CQR in this type of mud/sand bottom.

You'll notice that my scope from the swivel (which will be just alittle above top of the water) increases 7.1 with 40 feet for Rode #1, to 8.2 with 50 feet for Rode #2, to 10.1 with 60 feet for Rode #3. This is based on approx 6 feet of depth. My thoughts on this multiple lenghts is if for some reason there is an anchor drag problem at least the rodes will be at different lengths - hopefully avoiding any sort of tangling.

From the swivel, which like I say will be just above the water line - I'll run three 3/4 inch 3 strand nylon lines approx 20 or so feet that'll each be spliced to thimbles that'll go to the three seperate shackles (5/8") on the Colligo swivel setup. One line through a chauk to the port cleat, middle line through the anchor roller clove hitched to the windlass, and the other line through a chauk to the starboard cleat.

Question, do you think 3/4" inch 3 strand will allow ample enough stretch? I have 200 feet (plus or minus) of this line which I recently purchased so.., Not sure if I went too big.

Chafing gear - although I have plenty of old fireman hose I could cut up I'm concerned about the heating problem due to the friction of the line on the rubber inner coating of this hose. Sailingdog is recommending canvas or denim.., and will I want to sew this into the line or somehow tie this onto the cleats and anchor roller?

And then of course, five Hail Mary's and five Our Fathers..,

Interested in hearing opinions on this anchoring setup.

It's amazing how may different ideas there are. Just curious to hear some educated thoughts.

Thanks again, Kevin S/V Blade Runner.

P.S. Rich, Let me know if you wanna check out this Colligo swivel in case you haven't ordered yours as yet.
Old 07-20-2006
Banned

Rickm505 is on a distinguished road
Kevin, I'm out of town this week, returning Sat nite. I'll probably give you a call on Sunday

Rick in Florida

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.