Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By manatee

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Boat buying book

I have seen people here recommend books on buying a used sailboat. I did a search, but can't find the recommendations. So can anyone recommend a book that might be helpful in my search for a used sailboat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 3 Weeks Ago

manatee is on a distinguished road
Re: Boat buying book

Are you looking for a *what boat to buy* book, or a *how to buy a boat* book?

I'll see what I can find for you (I'm interested too), but you might start here:

sailingdog's "Boat Inspection Tips" thread
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by manatee; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:28 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by manatee View Post
Are you looking for a *what boat to buy* book, or a *how to buy a boat* book?

I'll see what I can find for you (I'm interested too), but you might start here:

sailingdog's "Boat Inspection Tips" thread

Thanks Manatee. How to buy. I am interested in things like "whether boats have a shelf life" and where older boats might fail. I know there are many variables involved, but are there some fiberglass boat from the 70's that you still might get 10 or 15 years more use from? I know components will need to be replaced or upgraded, but will the hull, keel and mast etc. withstand the passing of time?

Also what construction qualities withstand the test of time and what boats have proven themselves over time. I have my eye on a couple of Cal 39's from the late 70's that are fairly close to me.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

manatee is on a distinguished road

These should get you started. Good Luck! Happy Hunting!
...and

Interesting series of articles:

How to Buy a Used Sailboat in Five Steps - Messing About In Sailboats

...PDF of the series:
http://messingaboutinboats.typepad.c...five-steps.pdf

Don Casey's books are highly recommended:

Inspecting the Aging Sailboat (The International Marine Sailboat Library):Amazon:Books Inspecting the Aging Sailboat (The International Marine Sailboat Library):Amazon:Books

Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo:Amazon:Books Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo:Amazon:Books

Slayer likes this.
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to manatee For This Useful Post:
Slayer (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough

Here are a few ideas as well:

Practical Sailor's Boat Guide

Surveying Fibreglass Sailboats ...

These will give you some good knowledge.

Rik
Old 3 Weeks Ago

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I know components will need to be replaced or upgraded, but will the hull, keel and mast etc. withstand the passing of time?
There's no shortage of opinion on what constitutes the "best" old boat; but the question really is "what's the best boat for me?". Don Casey does a good job of describing how to figure out what your best boat is in This Old Boat (another good book of his).

In a 70's vintage boat the mast, keel and hull are generally not the things that will fail. This Old Boat and the other Casey books recommended by Manatee will show you how to inspect mechanical systems.

You want to look at wear items like the sails, the engine, and the standing and running rigging. Are they serviceable or at least in good enough shape that you can get a season or two out of them before upgrades/repairs/replacement are necessary?

And area where I'm always suspicious on older boats is the wiring. 70's boats have inferior electrical systems by today's standards. They rarely have enough circuits and you may be dealing with a rats nest of previous owner patches that may be a fire hazard.

Charlie Wing's book on 12v marine systems is a good place to start learning about boat electrical systems.

Once you settle on one or two boats Google user groups. They're a great source for model specific info. That's where you'll learn about common problems, the fixes and how to check if they've already been addressed.

Best of luck with your search.

This Old Boat, Second Edition: Completely Revised and Expanded: Don Casey: 9780071477949: Amazon.com: Books This Old Boat, Second Edition: Completely Revised and Expanded: Don Casey: 9780071477949: Amazon.com: Books

Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook: Charlie Wing: 9780071446440: Amazon.com: Books Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook: Charlie Wing: 9780071446440: Amazon.com: Books

ďOnly two sailors, in my experience, never ran aground. One never left port and the other was an atrocious liar" - Don Bamford
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikhall View Post
Here are a few ideas as well:

Practical Sailor's Boat Guide

Surveying Fibreglass Sailboats ...

These will give you some good knowledge.

Rik
I have an older version of the practical sailor's guide (hard bound books) and found it marginally helpful. It was interesting reading none the less and did have some very good info. I also have the surveying fiberglass boats but find Don Casey's book much better, more readable and better explanations as well as better illustrations. But it is not really a fair comparison as I find Don's writing style to be clear and provides good explanations and his illustrator is great.

As far as what boat to get, I think that is such a subjective issue that there is not going to be any "book" that is really helpful. I think this forum and others likely give more up to date info. What I have found helpful is to find a user group for the boat you are looking at. Browse through the old threads to get an idea of what issues there are. If you are interested in performance and all you see are people talking about how long there Dacron sails have lasted then you know it is likely not a boat for you. If you see lots of info about where to get parts like bushings for stern tubes then you know what to look out for when looking at the boat. On the other hand if you want a comfortable cruiser and most of the posts are about high tech sails, racing results, and PHRF ratings then you might think about another boat. Forums will have lots of good info and bad info. For instance there is a lot of Hunter bashing. Some of it valid, others not. The B&R rig for instance is something I don't think I would be interested in owning(due to limitations on down wind sailing, and complicated rigging to replace), but the quality issues seem to be blown out of proportion. They are built about the same as say Catalina or other boats of the same price range. So it is not that hard to sift through the chaff and figure out what is real and what is not.

That said if you are looking for a smallish seaworthy boat here are two I found to be interesting reads:

Amazon.com: Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere eBook: John Vigor: Kindle Store Amazon.com: Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere eBook: John Vigor: Kindle Store

and slightly larger boats similar format:

Amazon.com: Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere eBook: Gregg Nestor, John Vigor: Kindle Store Amazon.com: Twenty Affordable Sailboats to Take You Anywhere eBook: Gregg Nestor, John Vigor: Kindle Store

Last edited by miatapaul; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:33 PM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

engineer_sailor is on a distinguished road

Might also look at:

The Best Used Boat Notebook
The Best Used Boat Notebook: From the Pages of Sailing Mazine, a New Collection of Detailed Reviews of 40 Used Boats plus a Look at 10 Great Used Boats to Sail Around the World: John Kretschmer: 9781574092349: Amazon.com: Books The Best Used Boat Notebook: From the Pages of Sailing Mazine, a New Collection of Detailed Reviews of 40 Used Boats plus a Look at 10 Great Used Boats to Sail Around the World: John Kretschmer: 9781574092349: Amazon.com: Books

The Sailors Book of Small Cruising Sailboats
The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising Sailboats: Reviews and Comparisons of 360 Boats Under 26 Feet: Steve Henkel: 9780071636520: Amazon.com: Books The Sailor's Book of Small Cruising Sailboats: Reviews and Comparisons of 360 Boats Under 26 Feet: Steve Henkel: 9780071636520: Amazon.com: Books

The Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat

Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear: John Vigor: 9780071376167: Amazon.com: Books Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear: John Vigor: 9780071376167: Amazon.com: Books

The Modern Cruising Sailboat
The Modern Cruising Sailboat: A Complete Guide to its Design, Construction, and Outfitting: Charles Doane: 9780071478106: Amazon.com: Books The Modern Cruising Sailboat: A Complete Guide to its Design, Construction, and Outfitting: Charles Doane: 9780071478106: Amazon.com: Books

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road

While not specifically about buying a used boat, there is a great deal of info. in Calder's book:
Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook: A Compendium for Coastal and Offshore Sailors: Nigel Calder: 9780071350990: Amazon.com: Books Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook: A Compendium for Coastal and Offshore Sailors: Nigel Calder: 9780071350990: Amazon.com: Books

As far as specific older boats go, each has its own particular problem areas. That info is harder to find. Forums like this are very helpful in that aspect as well as searches for magazine pieces about a particular boat. People have been really stung by the lack of research into serious issues common to a specific boat.

Last edited by smurphny; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:31 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.