Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2015

matthewwhill is on a distinguished road
Any seaworthy swing keel, row-able boats, with cabin.

I really like sailing my simple 24 ft keelboat with 4 ft draft. I don't want anything bigger or more complex since I usually single hand and I am a minimalist.

The things that I don't like are:
1. Possibility of outboard malfunction if wind dies or rig fails or when I must navigate a crowded marina. I would like to be able to row out of shipping lanes or row into my slip at the marina.
2. Possibility of running aground. Would like an even shallower draft and would like to be able to beach the boat in an emergency, duck into the lee of a windward shore etc...
3. Dragging anchor at night - again the possibility of running aground.

I would just get an open boat with a center board, but I like sailing in the Puget Sound (cold water, occasionally rough wind and waves), and I would like a place to sleep/keep dry. I really like my 1400 pounds of ballast and my cabin. I want to be able to cross the Strait of Juan de Fuca and gunkhole in the San Juans. Not interested in blue water ocean passages etc..

Am I asking too much? I have learned that each sailboat is a series of compromises.

The SCAMP looks great, but I'm interested in a little more protected space and a boat perhaps less prone to capsize/knockdowns. Are there any seaworthy, swing keel or otherwise beach-able, boats that are also light enough to row but still have some shelter? Like a Cal 20 with a big-ass 900 pound swing keel (just kidding).

Has anyone crossed the Strait in a SCAMP, a Potter, a Montgomery or something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2015
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Any seaworthy swing keel, row-able boats, with cabin.

1, if you really did have 3 fails when navigating a marina.. DROP the hook call or wait for help.

2, 4ft is not shallow draft.

3, learn how to set anchor sleep all night!

The dream can come true. (i think the co. folded though)

Oh # 4! learn how to sail on and off a dock!

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by deniseO30; 01-03-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-03-2015

Denise-

Learn how to read. Read my post again. Then learn how to type. Then offer a useful suggestion if you feel so inclined.

I didn't have three fails, I think I used the word "possibility".

And thanks, I already know that 4 feet is not a shallow draft, hence my question about good swing keel sailboats.

Last edited by matthewwhill; 01-03-2015 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2015
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Edit, was dat,
ya dun like me humer?

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-03-2015

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Sea Pearl 21 comes to mind. West Wight Potter might do the trick, with more room than a Scamp. lots of folks use yulohs to propel larger keelboats.

Old 01-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Edit, was dat,
ya dun like me humer?
Didn't notice any humor in your reply. Just thought you were being really condescending.

I can sail on and off the dock just fine if the wind is blowing. More difficult when there's no wind. Again, try reading the post.
Old 01-03-2015
1934 Chickering

One of my most respected sailing friends once showed me how to sail jib only, in the dark, in a crowded marina with only the hare's breath of a summer evening; while there was a line wrapped around a prop. "How did you do that?" I asked. "Denise, just be patient" we came up on a mooring and casually picked it up. Later, the line came off the shaft with a pull while tapping the starter in reverse.

My boat is for sale.

Old 01-03-2015

Quote:
One of my most respected sailing friends once showed me how to sail jib only, in the dark, in a crowded marina with only the hare's breath of a summer evening; while there was a line wrapped around a prop. "How did you do that?" I asked. "Denise, just be patient" we came up on a mooring and casually picked it up. Later, the line came off the shaft with a pull while tapping the starter in reverse.
That's really good sailing and seamanship you describe.

But I started this thread to learn more about swing keel sailboats that can be rowed and beached, and that have some sort of cabin. I'm really interested in learning about this specific topic. Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2015
1934 Chickering

Cat boats, sharpies, mutihulls, bilge keelers (British are way ahead of us on that)

Have you ever tried to row in a blow? Or even try to row off a beach into wind and wave? I tried in my sea kayak years ago. and decided to wait it out.
shallow to no draft is always at loss of

My boat is for sale.

Old 01-03-2015

Quote:
Have you ever tried to row in a blow? Or even try to row off a beach into wind and wave?
No. When there is wind I sail. The rowing would be for when there is no wind or the rig fails. Or when I am trying to go through the Ballard locks - not allowed to sail in and out of the locks.

But you are right. Rowing into strong wind and waves is difficult.

Thanks for the boat suggestions. Webb Chiles apparently circumnavigated in an open Drascombe Lugger 18 footer. But I am not that tough. I would like more shelter. He got knocked down and pooped several times. I'd like to avoid that.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.