Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006

greg09 is on a distinguished road
I am surmising that gun mount rig is something that would work only with an unstayed mast. I assume an unstayed mast means no stays whatsoever, right? Including a forestay?

Could you please explain how the jib is attached if there is no forestay?

Thanks.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-12-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I believe the Freedom boats are all freestanding masts design boats that are Cat rigged...not sloop rigged, so there isn't a jib of any sort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Sounds like you have a lot of drag from the sailcovers... You could always blame it on the Gun Mount Spinnaker.
Yo Sail!

My only experience with the gun mount was on the freedom 36/38 (cant remember which it is as the difference is a scoop transom only) . I didn't own it I just was on it.

MY Freedom is a 39 pilothouse SCHOONER. It is a cat SCHOONER and has no stays whatsoever. It is a Ron Holland design. It also has no gun mount.

Some freedoms have a wankin tiny headsail these ARE sloops and were developed in the next generation of Freedoms after mine. I may or may not be correct in stating I believe the headsail modles were all Gary Mull designs. These sloop models have a little bitty forestay and a caber dealy in the itty bitty headsail.

"Heart of Gold" appears to be quite fast on a close reach and off the wind as well. She will point higher than one would believe but this slows her down tremendously. 40 to 45 degrees apparent and shes a greyhound. In winds of 15 to 18 and the medium chop off of Point Loma my GPS is showing 6.8 to 7.2 over the ground. Iv'e always been a bit of a bug about trim and find it annoying that someone too lazy to take off or put on sail covers would throw extra crap aloft.

Hopefully this ansers the questionas about the sloop rigged freedoms. When I talked about my previous boats they were all conventionally rigged. Alum sticks S/S rigging etc.

Oh yeah, the sails on "Heart" are a little older and I think before doing any club racing I'll stick on some of those Hardraker Kevlar Starcuts theve developed for the Freedoms.

Dewey
Old 07-13-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Thanks for clarifying that dewey... btw, love to see the kevlar sails if you get them.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-13-2006
old cranky salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Thanks for clarifying that dewey... btw, love to see the kevlar sails if you get them.
LOL!, I don't know any sailors who wouldnt want to show off their boat!

No problem Dog! Youd be welcome to check out "Heart of Gold" before or after addition of sails.

Dewey
Old 07-18-2006

Goinplaces is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Benson
SailingDog is quite correct, but there is one more important thing about the gun mount. All of the pressure from the sail is focused on the gun mount fitting at the bow. One may literally hold the sheets in ones hand. Gybes are simple as the pole fitting on the gun mount rotates, pivioting the pole from side to side. When not in use the pole slides out of the gun mount fitting, the chute resides in a sack.

Dewey
This was really helpful information. We just bought a "new" 36/38 Freedom with a gun mount. We would appreciate any information you can provide as to how the dang thing works! How do we rig it??
Old 07-19-2006
old cranky salt

Going places,

Sorry, my one shot observations were on a boat that was rigged and ready to go. I hadn't owned a Freedom yet and only noticed the ease of usage and the general outlook of the gizmo. The pole was shoved into the gun mount sleeve, lines were attached, and the pole centered. A halyard was pulled and the chute hoisted out of it's bag, when doused a down haul line was pulled as the halyard was relaxed. It was hard to believe.

When one first gets to "crew" on a freedom rigged vessel its all so simple it's almost bewildering.

Are you East coast or west coast?

Dewey
Old 08-03-2006

Thanks Dewey

Sorry for the late reply - we were on vacation. Next week we head out for a week on the Narragansett Bay with our Freedom. We are an East coast boat. We will look for more info on this crazy gun mount thingie. But we are glad for all the help we can get from our fellow sailors.
Old 08-03-2006
old cranky salt

No problem Goin,

I'm sure the charter guy's will show you whats up. It's going to be simpler than you think.

Dewey
Old 08-04-2006

No charter - we OWN the new Freedom

So far we LOVE it. We had a C&C prior to this, so it is a "change of pace" in all senses of the word. But this is an awesome boat. But the spinnaker will be an interesting experiment.

Are you east or west coast?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.