Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
Also, it's not the same as a 380. The 380 is a more modern high, wide ass kind of boat. The old 38 is more stable. Narrow, higher ballast ratio and higher ultimate stability rating. The numbers don't lie. Not to call down the 380, she's a nice boat but these wide in the ass comfort cruisers are a liability offshore.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2006
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
The problem you would have on a trip like that would be tankage. The fresh water tank is only around 35 gallons and the diesel tank is around 21. Check www.catalina38.org for more info.
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Old 07-25-2006
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Thanks Russ

I was thinking of a desalinator for the water. but the fuel could be a problem any idea re flexible fuel bladers, is there room to locate an extra 60 to 80 gallons, this would give @ 640 miles. at 6 knots.
Old 07-25-2006
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
There is quite a bit of room under the starboard settee, and there is a huge sail locker/lazarette under the port seat in the cockpit, though I don't know if you would want to add that much weight back there. There is also some room in the bow under the v-berth in front of the fresh water tank. BTW, the holding tank is also only about 25-30 gallons, but you probably wouldn't need to worry about that. I recommend joining the e-mail list at catalina38.org and ask your questions there, you will get a HUGE response.
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan
Old 07-31-2006

sailnaway is on a distinguished road
38 Catalina Offshore

Hello I am the owner of a Catalina 38 Hull # 33 she is fast and sturdy in most conditions. I have been offshore in the boat several times and never felt the first sign of stress due to working hull or bulkheads moving ect. I just compleated 1400 miles and the boat is in Texas and is for sale.......... My health is failing which is a bummer since I wanted to sail to guess where, OZ. Well I guess I will have to fly down sometime. email me at libertywhispers@yahoo.com I will be glad to tell you everything about the Catalina 38 yachts which are IOR boats and were limited in numbers built to around 240 total. Fast ocean going /racing yachts is what they are all have some minor issues but tough as an Aussies hide. GuDay! see www.cataqlina38.org
Old 02-23-2011

KarakaII is on a distinguished road
did it eventually happened?

I am just about to buy a C38 with the idea to sail to australia and resale the boat there. i was wondering what happened with the project and if there is anything i can learn from people who've taken boats across to australia.
i guess it is a far shot cause this thread 's last post is five years ago but if anybody have anything to say i'll be glad to hear it
Old 02-23-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarakaII View Post
I am just about to buy a C38 with the idea to sail to australia and resale the boat there. i was wondering what happened with the project and if there is anything i can learn from people who've taken boats across to australia.
i guess it is a far shot cause this thread 's last post is five years ago but if anybody have anything to say i'll be glad to hear it
Simon eventually bought an older Ericson 39 and did exactly what he proposed.. with minimal fanfare and complete success.

Funny, when I saw your post I ended up reading the OP and for a moment thought he was going to do it all over again, and had to laugh at SD's question of whether he had the experience... then I noticed the date!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-23-2011
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, the experience Simon has today is a bit different than when I asked about it back in 2006.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Simon eventually bought an older Ericson 39 and did exactly what he proposed.. with minimal fanfare and complete success.

Funny, when I saw your post I ended up reading the OP and for a moment thought he was going to do it all over again, and had to laugh at SD's question of whether he had the experience... then I noticed the date!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Here's an unfortunate example:
Missing Aussie Sailor Off Virginia, Presumed Lost | Daily Sailing News from North American Sailor
Australia is a long way in a Catalina.
Old 02-23-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
......Australia is a long way in a Catalina.
Australia's a long way in a Hinckley too!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)