Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Is there not a thread around with Simons trials and trivializations with the E39 getting it ready etc that we can show KrakaII? Not sure I want to find it myself..... but I am recalling one or two. I think he still posts upon occasion, so a PM or equal might be worth the effort on krakaII's part.

Marty
Old 02-23-2011

KarakaII is on a distinguished road
catalina C38

wow, responses...

well that sound really great. any way I can get in touch with this simon?

as for sailing the catalina, i'm not too worried. i have the experience and even if the boat is not a heavy duty cruiser it is still a fairly good boat that can handle some miles. going down the trade winds to australia shouldn't be the end of the world really. what's 7000 miles after all?
joke apart i think it is totally feasible. just have to reef early and play it safe, not pushing the boat and all that.

well, any other comments and advices though, shoot away, it is always good to have varied opinions, and you guys seem to have plenty of that.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Do not quote me on the boat you are thinking of, but Brian, our sorta kinda esteemed sr murderator who seems to come and go..... IIRC he likes the C38 for offshore use. PM CruisingDad, or hopefully maybe since he is supposedly back onshore he might off a suggestion or two or three.

Marty
Old 02-23-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
This thread documents most of Simon's trip. Great read / one of my favourate threads.

Ilenart

SimonV's Journey to Australia
Old 02-24-2011

BentSailor will become famous soon enough
I know I didn't ask for it but thanks Ilenart. You are right, it is good reading
Old 02-24-2011

paulk is on a distinguished road
Food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Australia's a long way in a Hinckley too!
I'd think the trip safer in a 1970 Hinckley than a 2010 Catalina.
Old 02-24-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I'd think the trip safer in a 1970 Hinckley than a 2010 Catalina.
Why?

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-24-2011

The Karaka story

Hello all,

Thanks for all the responses, I really appreciate it. I went to simon's thread and checked a few things, but I did not find the technical info about importing the boat to australia... but good for him anyway, he did it... I'll try to get in touch with him, but I can not send him a personal message at this point cause apparently I need to post more entries before I can do that. So here goes, another entry.
I noticed how you guys seem to relish a good yarn, so I figured you might not mind me sharing mine.

I'm a young french guy and when I happened to be in Hong kong in mid 2004 after delivering a boat from australia, I found a 53ft steel ketch abandonned in the harbor. I asked around and the owner, who was away and doing other things, sold the boat to me for a dollar. I put her back in shape roughly, and went sailing, taking crew to help with the running costs and mostly having a wonderfull time, gypsy pirate style.
We covered a little over 40 000 miles so far, going down the china seas, through singapore, across the indian ocean, round good hope, up the south atlantic to brazil, made a little side trip up the amazon, then into the carribean, the panama canal, and now we're in baja california getting ready for a refit.
While having some adventures last week trying to find a nice cheap boatyard to take karaka out we stumbled on a nice older catalina for sale and so with some of the crew we're considering buying her and sailing her to australia to resell with the hope of making enough profit to finance the refit. Also it would be nice not to have to worry about the price of beer when we take the big boat through the pacific for the next few years...
Anyway, that's how I came to ask about simon's trip.

If you think I'm making this up, or if you have five minutes, check our website
We can use anything we can get so don't feel bad about spreading the word.

thanks
Tom

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-25-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Removed financial solicitation.
Old 02-24-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
I'm sorry Tom, not to be cynical, but are you asking for donations so you and your friends can go kegging across the pacific in a new-to-you yacht so you can make money in Australia? Will I get a bumper sticker or a t-shirt? Hehe.

Anyways, never hurts to ask I guess, as long as you are willing to put up with a few off the wall comments, or not so off the wall!

Anyways, I owned a C380, not a 38, but if you have direct questions, please let me know and I will try and help. I know the 380 pretty well and know Catalinas in general very well.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-24-2011

yope

yes that's pretty much it, we're asking for donations to take a beautiful old ship out sailing, taking a bunch of people along on a non profit basis, getting involved with community development, workshops and sustainable living, sharing knowledge and skills between the local populations and the crew, educating random people about the possibilities of taking on an alternative lifestyle, and giving the opportunity to a lot of people to come and experience

As for the catalina, it is a c38, which i think is quite a different boat from the 380. i'm doing research at the moment, and while she's not my ideal cruising boat she seem to be a fine boat and definitely able to sail to australia with a crew of dedicated young sailors. I'd still like to get info about the paperwork of getting a foreign boat into australia though. my girlfriend and first mate is an aussie so she's doing that part of the research but the more info we get the better.

Last edited by Jeff_H; 02-25-2011 at 04:10 PM.