Could a fan in front of a sailboat improve sailing? - Page 11 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
If only I could respond to this thread with the respect and dignity it so richly deserves. Certainly, an airplane has a fan (of sorts) on the front, and I'm sure jet engines have a fan stage in the front. Open the hood on a car and the engine has a fan on the front. The grill on Britney Spears limo occasionally has a fan on the front, and all these things do move fast.

Sailboats, however, I'm not so sure. I once saw a sailboat with a drunken Jimmy Buffett fan on the front, shirtless, sunburned, and bellowing Margaritaville like a Bears fan on New Years Day, but the sailboat did not seem to move any faster.

It is possible that a new product, FARTINACAN, c Stevie Beans, Chew wah wah Mexico, might fill the jib if released all at once, or just force the boat to run away. Feeding the Buffett fan six bean buritto's will have the same effect. It IS a wind phenomenon.

I would LOVE to see foam that's lighter than air. I would love to see a float made of it in the shape of a drugged out pseudo scientist flying in the Macy's parade, just behind Fritz the Cat.

The fan on the sailboat will only work during the Aurora Borealis when Saturn is in for oil change.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-26-2006

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Just Now In Stores!!!!!!!!!!

Buy Now While Stock Lasts

Powder Electricity, Yes!!!

You Can Now Power Your Boat Wind Booster Fan With Giulietta's Dry Powder Electricity.

Just Add Water, And You CAn Have Up To 2 Mw In Power!!!

Remember, If It Does Not Say Giulietta's Original Powder Electricity, IN THE CAN, It's Not The Real Deal. Avoid Fakes!!!!

Buy Now........

G's Powder Electricity!!!
Old 12-31-2006

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
Finally got around to reading this thread. Just one misstep and yer chum ... I believe in forensic medicine, the term is total morselization ... red sails in the sunset!!!
Old 12-31-2006

pigslo is on a distinguished road
From a previous post...."If you think of it logically, you would have a huge, ugly, dangerous spinning aparatus blowing directly onto the sail." Sounds like my second wife although she did not blow hard or often enough.
Old 12-31-2006

cockeyedbob is on a distinguished road
...but sometimes it's helpful to have the right tool to work with ... my mate speaks of inspiration and I hope she means breathing ...
Old 01-01-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Since you obviously need more than one fan I am chagrined that the sailnet community has not responded to such pressing issues as to whether the fans should be in SERIES or PARALLEL and of course how should they be ANCHORED? Should multiple anchors be used? Should a combination of chain and line be used? If mounted in series, can one be serviced while running the other? Only when these fundamental issues are conclusively answered will it be appropriate to discuss the proper coating of the apparatus. And a paltry number of web sites have been referenced to date in confirmation of the posters opinions-let's get on that.
Old 01-01-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
What if the fan were actually a helicopter!!!! That way it's power source would be self contained, and it could just move in conjuction with the boat.
Old 09-23-2007

empresa is on a distinguished road
I have finally hit upon the perfect answer... what you do is put 15 wind generators on the forestay, stacked vertically, (with all the extra wind generated by the "fans" you don't need the Genny anyhow) and run on the main stays'l and main. The obvious benefit is that you get all that free electrical energy as a bonus.
Old 09-23-2007

Ulladh is on a distinguished road
This morning I was on the Delaware River just a few hundred yard of the Phila Int airport runway light jetty, when a huge Russian gargo plane took off.

Close enough to see the tire treads.

I was gently bobbing along in a less than 5 knot breeze, when the Russians wake filled the sails and for a few minutes I was flying.

Forget adding a fan, get a Russian cargo plane.
Old 09-23-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
Please tell me this clown is just clowning? Please? Somebody, anybody? Yes, you, you in the back with the GED............