Could a fan in front of a sailboat improve sailing? - Page 13 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2007

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
RB; I see you are from Vermont. Are you near Lake Champlain? I just sold my boat up there this summer and might be cruising up the canal for the winter. My old boat was in Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Can't be done. It's Newton again... action:reaction.
A big fan on the back will blow the ship backwards, unless the sails bring all of the propelled air to a total, and utter stop.... then the ship does not move at all.
Old 09-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rockter-

I believe the idea was to mount one on the bow, not the stern, and have it pull air in and blow it across the sails.... to generate lift and move the boat.... not to push the boat from behind. Might want to go back and re-read, or read, the whole thread. BTW, planes have been using propellors to move through the air for a long, long time.... and there are fan-propelled boats in the Everglades....

Again, you let your inability to read a thread and your inability to apply theoretical physics to a real world situation get in the way of posting anything resembling an intelligent answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
Can't be done. It's Newton again... action:reaction.
A big fan on the back will blow the ship backwards, unless the sails bring all of the propelled air to a total, and utter stop.... then the ship does not move at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 09-26-2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We have actually been employing this fan method for quite some time with good results, all these laws of physics notwithstanding. As an earlier post pointed out, one key is to run enough of them in series. Ours are mounted outboard on cantilevered outriggers, which can be folded in for docking manoeuvres. They can also pivot fore and aft as much as 30 degrees for apparent wind adjustments, as we sometime like to vary our point of sail for variety's sake (beam reaching everywhere can get somewhat tedious).

Another important design aspect, often overlooked by previous unsuccessful pioneers in this burgeoning field, is to ensure that the orientation of the fan blades and their direction of rotation is SUPPLEMENTAL to, rather than opposing, the coriolis effect. Obviously this requires that the apparatus be re-oriented when moving between hemispheres, but this impediment only affects a small number of sailors anyway.

Others will be curious as to the performance advantage: It's no exageration to say that they are ample. In comparing observed speeds to the polars for our boat, we sometimes register velocities as much as 1/10 of a knot greater than predicted. Someone else pointed out the energy consumption issues, but we long ago resolved that obstacle by powering each fan with its very own Solar Stick. All in all we are pleased with these modifications and find they are well worth the tremendous effort, substantial cost, and modest inconvenience. To the skeptics, we say: "Just give fans a try!"
Old 09-26-2007
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
The "fan in front of boat theory" has been proven to be ineffective. I've invented a way to produce very low atmospheric pressure, concentrate it and contain in a storage cell. I then project it from the bow pulpit - directly in front of the headsail.

This drop in atmospheric pressure of course, merges with existing high pressure, creating very gusty winds - at the flick of a switch. I'm presently in the process of applying for a patent.
Old 09-27-2007
Oathkeepers member

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigslo View Post
To all you guys that speculate "if the fan was big enough" and other such speculations...wrong. ANY wind produced from an object on the boat (even from the hot air of surfesq) is subject to an equal and opposite effect in the opposite direction. I believe that was one the first laws of physics.
Pigslo

I have seen this thread on and off here now for several weeks and never really thought I wanted/needed/dared to step in. But is keeps getting bigger and bigger etc so curiosity got the better of me. No way would it get this far right? Wrong. Lol Pigslo said it best followed by the quantum generator. In my opinion dual polyquad synchronized phasers may work also IF we had a stable source of those dylithium crystals.

Too freaking funny
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.

Bruce Lee

LET'S GET SERIOUS ABOUT ENFORCING OUR PRESENT LAWS NOW

Old 09-27-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
The well-known problem with Dylithium crystals is that you invariably need to travel half-way across the universe just to get replacements. I think the Solar Stik HAS to be the way to go here!

(or perhaps an Improbability Drive?)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 09-27-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Old Sailingdog never misses the chance of the personal attack.

I missed the word "forward".
Put the fan on the front then.
It'll work.
The boat will go faster.
Until the fuel runs out.
Better still is to take the sails down.
Newton again.
Old 09-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I thought they were the same thing: SolarStik = Improbability Drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendMike View Post
The well-known problem with Dylithium crystals is that you invariably need to travel half-way across the universe just to get replacements. I think the Solar Stik HAS to be the way to go here!

(or perhaps an Improbability Drive?)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-27-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
I thought they were the same thing: SolarStik = Improbability Drive.
Good one, but the 'Infinite Improbability Drive' actually requires a hot cup of tea to generate it's power, whereas the 'Solar Stik' actually made energy from nothing whatsoever IIRC.

(edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinit...bability_Drive , the solar stick info is buried under pages of drivel that i refuse to attach the link to)

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)