Could a fan in front of a sailboat improve sailing? - Page 17 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2009

redwoodforest is on a distinguished road
I own the patent to a device that is materially infringed by SailFan(tm), all those that have posted on this thread and are encouraging use of SailFan(tm) are hereby served notice for contributory infringement. If anyone wants to buy my wonderful, magical, mystical, amazing, energy-efficient device, please let me know
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2009
Sailor

CanDrac is on a distinguished road
Most sailboats already have one such fan. It's just that it's better to put it underwater and facing aft. We like to call it propeller!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
I think if you placed the fan at the stern, positioned below the water line, it would provide the best possible propulsion.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 11-24-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Sorry aobut that CanDrac, ya beat me...but we had a similar thought.
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Old 11-24-2009

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Well if you buy the fan from Acme Fan Co. that wylie E. Coyote deals with you may get a fan that would work... But then I would be watching out for anvils or boulders that may be falling toward your boat...

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 01-01-2010

klausn is on a distinguished road
I attended an auction of marine equipment about 6 months ago and bought a strange looking device consisting of multiple heavy walled stainless tubes supporting multiple fans with stainless blades. It seemed new with no visible signs of wear! One of the substantial brackets was stamped with "BS.(TM)"
Until today, when I chanced upon this thread, I had no idea I had bought a SailFan (tm)
I am willing to sell it for whatever I can get!!
Happy New Year.
Old 01-04-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by klausn View Post
I attended an auction of marine equipment about 6 months ago and bought a strange looking device consisting of multiple heavy walled stainless tubes supporting multiple fans with stainless blades. It seemed new with no visible signs of wear! One of the substantial brackets was stamped with "BS.(TM)"
Until today, when I chanced upon this thread, I had no idea I had bought a SailFan (tm)
I am willing to sell it for whatever I can get!!
Happy New Year.
That must be one of the unauthorized, patent-pending-infringing, pirated versions. They sometimes come up on the black markets. They do not work as advertised.

You'll have to wait patiently for the authentic versions to come out on the market. The latest information has them arriving April 1.

P.S. Welcome to Sailnet!

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 08-08-2010
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road
If you put a fan in front of a sailboat, wouldn't he or she be in danger of drowning or being run over by the celebrity owner's paid crew or guests? It seems the fan would be in grave danger of being longitudinally keelhauled, that is along the long axis of the boat, especially with an old-timey full keel design.

This of course doesn't apply to catamarans, since the fan, if wearing a life jacket, would simply likely bob along between the hulls and under the bridgedeck (the frame between the hulls ) of the famous person's boat, assuming normal clearances, and the fan could wave at the celebrity and crew as he drifted out under the stern.

That is, unless the fan had the misfortune to be caught by a wave and slammed up against the underside of the bridgedeck/frame.

In that case, the fan's journey under the frame to make a small wave up to fame's bridge would be shortly abridged by a large wave under fame's frame.

The moral of course is to never swim under a bridge over troubled waters.
Old 08-08-2010

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
They work very well when placed on the bow. It took two fans ,one at three foot and one at seven to give me hull speed at slack tide.
I run DC motors with wind and solar generater systems .it takes eight gel batteries to power most of the day and some into the night.
system has worked well for three years now and thinking of the three fan up grade soon . Hope this helps out .
Old 08-08-2010

CapTim is on a distinguished road
... wow ...

Living aboard, currently in the Chesapeake
O'Day 37, still new to us