SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Senior sailors ?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/18407-senior-sailors.html)

Muckabout 07-21-2006 06:13 PM

Senior sailors ??

Okay, I have to admit it, just this once. I am getting older (sigh). I am a single female and I turn 62 August 3d, and I was wondering how many other sailors are adapting to getting older. Are you having problems ? Do you sail as much or less, do you have physical limitations that prevent you from enjoying sailing. Or is this one of those things were the words "It all depends" pertains.

Er, maybe I should have used a better phrase:o

Any how, what issues effect the enjoyment of sailing for seniors ? Are there message boards for those with senority in the sailing community ?

If you have given up sailing/crusing because of health or age now what do you do?:(

Just wondering, I am in a reflective mood today thinking maybe I should take advantage of the years I have left and go sailing as often as I can and just enjoy what I have while I have it.:D

Or am I making much ado about nothing to semi'quote the Bard.

Dewey Benson 07-21-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckabout
maybe I should take advantage of the years I have left and go sailing as often as I can and just enjoy what I have while I have it.:D

The above looks like about the right approach.

I bought a motorsailor to extend my seasons. After a protracted illness where I couldnt muster enough endurance for a day sail. I found a vessel that if they pump me full of poison again, I may be able to handle.

Dewey

PBzeer 07-21-2006 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muckabout

Just wondering, I am in a reflective mood today thinking maybe I should take advantage of the years I have left and go sailing as often as I can and just enjoy what I have while I have it.:D

Or am I making much ado about nothing to semi'quote the Bard.

I believe that you answered your own question. Be it sailing or otherwise, enjoy what you have, while you have it. That goes for 62, or 26.

Life is full of people who chase that "elusive something" that they think will bring them happiness, only to find it and realize, not only is it not what they thought it would be, but that they missed out on so much while they were looking for it. Things, will never make us as happy as those moments in time when our hearts, or souls, or spirits, are touched by the joy of being alive.

Regards,

eryka 07-21-2006 06:40 PM

Happy B'day Muckabout. (FWIW, I'm exactly 10 yrs + 1 week younger). As we've gotten older, we switched to roller furling headsail & electric windlass. That's been the only change in the hardware dept acknowledging our diminishing strength. We reef earlier and sail flatter - in general a bit more cautious. We sail just about as *often* tho we plan shorter days when practical. Back injury makes me unable to walk as much as I used to, but since age has also made a little alcohol go a MUCH longer way, the money saved affords car rental in other cities LOL.

My *brain* doesn't feel any older, just my body - and the sea is just as beautiful.

Muckabout 07-21-2006 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PBzeer
I believe that you answered your own question. Be it sailing or otherwise, enjoy what you have, while you have it. That goes for 62, or 26.

Life is full of people who chase that "elusive something" that they think will bring them happiness, only to find it and realize, not only is it not what they thought it would be, but that they missed out on so much while they were looking for it. Things, will never make us as happy as those moments in time when our hearts, or souls, or spirits, are touched by the joy of being alive.

Regards,

Wow, have you been following me around :confused:
I have done so many things I have risked so much and have not found what ever it was that I was looking for - can't even remember what it was I was searching for now. I know I have missed out on a lot because of my obsessions. I keep coming back to boats and the water-it brings back happy feelings and pleasure of just being.

I hope that makes sense:o

Muckabout 07-21-2006 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eryka
Happy B'day Muckabout. (FWIW, I'm exactly 10 yrs + 1 week younger). As we've gotten older, we switched to roller furling headsail & electric windlass. That's been the only change in the hardware dept acknowledging our diminishing strength. We reef earlier and sail flatter - in general a bit more cautious. We sail just about as *often* tho we plan shorter days when practical. Back injury makes me unable to walk as much as I used to, but since age has also made a little alcohol go a MUCH longer way, the money saved affords car rental in other cities LOL.

My *brain* doesn't feel any older, just my body - and the sea is just as beautiful.

Best wishes on your B'day too. O'boy if I were ten years younger and know what I know now would things be different. Sigh

I am starting to feel the effects of arthritis in the morning some of my fingers hurt and sometimes my ankles, standing for a long time hurts to bad. But, I am a champ at sitting. I used to jump up and scramble to the fore deck and change jibs or haul away on the anchor rode without giving it a moments thought, now I give it a lot of thought. Before I act.

A good martini would have me going to sleep in no time, an all night means I slept all night without getting up :D

Oh well, at least I am still here to complain about it.

Muckabout 07-21-2006 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dewey Benson
The above looks like about the right approach.

I bought a motorsailor to extend my seasons. After a protracted illness where I couldnt muster enough endurance for a day sail. I found a vessel that if they pump me full of poison again, I may be able to handle.

Dewey

Motorsailor? hmmm I have to give that some thought I remember a cute pilot house sloop maybe 27' looked real nice lots of room-come to think of it a retired couple owned her she was in Norfolk Va.

What ever happened to the catamaran class , that was about thirty feet or so the British seemed to like them a lot I thing the model name was Iroquois.

Thanks for sharing

PBzeer 07-21-2006 10:02 PM

The only expectations we need to fill, are our own. In being true to one's self, we can then be true to all. We can never live up to how others define us, only to how we define ourselves. Seek peace and contentment, but never let it stop you from putting it at risk for that which you believe in. To settle merely for contentment, is just a comfortable way of drowning.

Cliched perhaps, but none the less true. There is no greater regret, than that for what we didn't try. It's easy to put yourself at physical risk, much harder...and scary....to put your inner self at risk. Yet, in the end, win or lose, that is the only path to finding real happiness.

Jeff_H 07-21-2006 10:16 PM

Happy B'day. I am six years and not quite one month younger than you. 6-7 years ago, I found that I seemed to be losing strength and stamina as I approached 50. My joints bothered me and it was getting progressively harder to push big boats in heavy going. As a result, I began doing yoga, and paying more attention to my muscle tone, and my weight. That combination has made a really big difference to my ability to aggressively sail short-handed in a wide range of conditions. Staying in shape doesn't come as easy as it did when I was younger, but it hasn't been all that hard either.

For what it is worth, I am sure that genes play a big role as well. Dad is turning 80 in a few weeks and he is still a great sailor. He threatens to one day to buy a motorsailor or a trawler when he gets old.

Jeff

chuck5499 07-21-2006 11:04 PM

Muckabout -- first happy bday - they should all be celebrated in some special way and sure hope you did yours up right.
i am about 1 year behind you. I turn 61 in sept and currently have my house up for sale and plan on moving on my 40 Jeanneau and leave sometime after hurricane season.
I have only been sailing about 5/6 years and took it up after i got to old to do high altitiude mountain climbing and rock climbing and mountain search and rescue. I took that up in my 40s when most people quick and find that while it is physical a lot of it is also mental and the ability to overcome. That i find is what age and experience brings. the ability to look at things in a different way with the light of experience and the knowledge that we have nothing to prove. If we wait for better weather window so what, that is a good thing.
I went with in mast furling and made it so all the sailing can be handled from the cockpit as i will probably do mostly singlehandling. Someday i may put on electric winches for the main.
On the other side I must thank God for giving me a great body that repairs quickly and takes all the abuse that i can give it and it keeps on ticking plus a spirit to see what is on the other side of the horizon, hill, or what ever.
chuck and soulmates