Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By travlineasy
  • 1 Post By travlineasy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6 Days Ago
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Fun In The Sun...

One of the favorite destinations of east coast cruisers is Marathon, Florida. Many end up on mooring balls in Boot Key Harbor, which is currently filled to capacity awaiting a good weather window for cruisers to cross over to the Bahamas. Some will head north before crossing over, while others will just zip out of Boot Key Harbor and head straight across the stream.

For me, I decided to drive down to Marathon Key this winter, a good way of escaping what is currently taking place in the upper reaches of Chesapeake Bay, snow, freezing rain, bitter cold temperatures, typical upper bay winter conditions. Today, the temperature is currently 74 in Boot Key, winds are blustery at 20 to 25 and gusting to 30, overcast and threatening thundershowers in the next hour or so. Conditions will improve by 5 p.m., and by 6 p.m. I'll be playing music to the cruisers at the Marathon City Dock Tiki Hut. We'll have a big jam session, other musicians will join me, and lots of visitors from all over the island will be here. BYOB situation, obviously.

I'll be headed back to Maryland in Mid March, a time when the snow has gone, and I can put a few weeks of work on my boat before it goes in the water in the first week of April. Then, it's six months of intense work to build p the sailing kitty, and in October, I'll hoist the sails on my old Morgan and point the bow south, returning to Marathon. I love this place.

Below are some photos I've shot during the past week. Just thought I would share the fun in the sun with the good folks on this forum.

More to come,

Gary
T37Chef, Captainmeme, RTB and 5 others like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 6 Days Ago

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Re: Fun In The Sun...

How about giving us a link to some of your music?
Old 6 Days Ago
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing,Gary. I wish we were there (where it's warmer). We spent 2 months there on a ball in 2013. A pretty good place to hang out for awhile, no doubt. Too bad we'll miss you this time, but maybe we'll see you on the east coast later this year. Have some of those killer fries for us at Burdines.

Ralph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by RTB; 6 Days Ago at 08:33 PM.
Old 6 Days Ago

Had the fries yesterday when I took my wife to lunch there. She got some sort of monster burger, I opted for the grouper fish sticks - I shoulda got a burger. But the fries were awesome.

Here's a link to a jukebox on another site I moderate. PSR Performer Gary Diamond - PSR-3000

This afternoon a massive cold front passed through, the temperature fell to the upper 50s, and I thought I would freeze to death while playing music at the tiki hut. Most of the cruisers stayed aboard their boats, the wind howled from the northwest at 30 kts, and the harbor was downright nasty for those guys in dinks. Consequently, I only had about a half-dozen folks at the tiki hut with me, but they will all change when the weather improves again.

Wearing a sweater and jeans is not the normal attire here.

Gary
T37Chef likes this.
Old 6 Days Ago

mbianka is on a distinguished road

Sounds like fun Gary. Just finished up cruising twelve days in the U.S. & Spanish Virgins and started thinking about doing a winter in the Keys in the near future on my boat. Been to Boot Key on charters but, need to bring my own boat down. Also a trip to Dry Tortugas is on the bucket list.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 5 Days Ago

The wind is howling at 30 plus knots right now, temperatures dipped into the upper 50s last night, and I thought I would freeze to death. Ironically, it was 15 degrees back home and they're expecting snow nearly every night this week.

For the first time in my life, I had to wear jeans and a sweater to keep warm in the lower Keys. We had lots of fun last night, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uoWlM6bRe8

Gary
Old 5 Days Ago

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Gary,
You know your boat is going to be really pissed at you for leaving her in the ice and snow. Better be thinking of how you can make it up to her or she might do something awful to you.
John
Old 2 Days Ago

The temperatures here this January are some of the coldest anyone can remember for decades. Here's a video of me performing in Marathon City Marina's Tiki Hut in Boot Key Harbor last Saturday night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uoWlM6bRe8

Gary
Old 2 Days Ago

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

Gary, thanks for the link to your music and story. I'm listening to your songs as I type this. Last week we spent a few days visiting our drunken sailor friends in Malabar Fl, south of Melbourne on the east coast. The weather down there was perfect, made it really hard to return to the cold of east Tennessee.
Old 2 Days Ago

Right now, I wouldn't want to be anywhere north of Miami let alone eastern Tennessee.

All the best,

Gary

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.