Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2006

scurvy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to scurvy
Bristol 24'

Hey there,

My wife and I sold our 1975 Sabre 28 MK1 about two seasons ago...new job, new house and a change of lifestyle (baby girl) made it impossible to get to the boat as often as we would have liked and so we parted with our old girl. We may be in the market for another in the near future and actually came across a 1977 Bristol 24' in very nice condition. I am more familiar with the 32' but know very little about the 24'.

Just wanted to ask anyone out there (Bristol Owners in particular) what they think of the 24', what their experiences have been with her, how she sails, handles relative seas, things to watch out for and where the 24 might shine! We loved the Sabre, but 28' may be a bit too much boat for us now and we are looking to downsize and simplify a bit so we can sail more and tinker less!

Thanks for any information you might offer us!
Fair Winds
Chris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2007

JosephFMcHugh is on a distinguished road
B-24

Hi : Based on hearsay , and what I have read, the B-24 was the one mistake in the Bristol history. I love my B-22, but apparently the B-24 was rushed into production to take advantage of the then booming sailboat market. The one flaw that I know of came from a fellow YC mooring neighbor that had a continuing problem of not being able to run the outboard with its hatch closed as it would be air starved and stall.No measures solved this, and I think he had other issues as well...Search for reviews on the 'net, I am sure I read adetailed analysis on the '24 somewhere.
Best',

Joe McHugh
Cape Elizabeth, Me.
Old 11-22-2009

Piperdude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephFMcHugh View Post
Hi : Based on hearsay , and what I have read, the B-24 was the one mistake in the Bristol history. I love my B-22, but apparently the B-24 was rushed into production to take advantage of the then booming sailboat market. The one flaw that I know of came from a fellow YC mooring neighbor that had a continuing problem of not being able to run the outboard with its hatch closed as it would be air starved and stall.No measures solved this, and I think he had other issues as well...Search for reviews on the 'net, I am sure I read adetailed analysis on the '24 somewhere.
Best',

Joe McHugh
Cape Elizabeth, Me.
Well, not based on "hearsay", but rather on owning one, I say: if the B24 was a 'mistake' give me more mistakes just like it. The Bristol 24 is fantabulous in almost all respects. My 15hp motor runs seamlessly. The boat is a quality built, great sailing vessel. Here's my site: Bristol 24 Corsair Sailboat - Home Port
Old 11-22-2009

okawbow is on a distinguished road
Bristol 24

Even though this thread is 3 years old......I've ran into the negative responce you quoted before, by searching for Bristol 24. It's obvious the poster never sailed on one. Many boats had an engine well that was the same as the one on the Bristol 24. It is not a poor design.

I just put my 76 Bristol 24, HARMONY, up for the season, yesterday. I've sailed her about 2000 miles in the past 3 years. It's small enough to trailer, but sails like a much larger boat. I do well in PHRF races against boats up to 33ft. I go out in winds that keep most sailors at the dock. The capsize ratio is 1.77, and the comfort rating of over 28 is better than many much larger boats. With enough sail, it's no slouch in light air, thanks to the 18' waterline, and narrow beam. There are issues with any 30-40 year old sailboat, but the Bristol 24 is under-rated in my opinion.

Chuck
Privateer 26 Schooner
Old 11-23-2009

Piperdude is on a distinguished road
Nice to hear you agree with me.

I knew the post was an old one, but I just didn't want the thread to have a negative unsubstantiated comment as the final entry.

The bristol is indeed a great boat in my view. I've had several other types of sailboats over the years (O'days, Catalinas among them) and I think the B24 is a fantastic boat on a lot of fronts.

I sail mine on the northern edge of the Gulf of Mexico. I travel from Canada annually (a couple of months during the winter), living aboard while I'm away from home. I plan to take advantage of the boat's trailerability characteristics to explore the entire west & east coasts of Florida over the next two years or so. After that... most likely the Keys.
Old 02-12-2012

firsttry is on a distinguished road
Any B 24 owners with a cutter rigged boat?