Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2006
Northeast 25 O'day Owner

Birdface will become famous soon enough
Agreed

Yes,

Last time I checked I think it was more probable you'd be hit by lightening than a shark...

But, I have to admit some of these posts and stories have me thinking twice.

-Newb Sailor and 1976 25' O'day owner,
Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2006
old cranky salt

Dewey Benson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy
Also the last 2 summers here in North County SD , we have had numerous whities crusing just outside the surfline ( you may have seen this on the news ) but there was never any attacks on surfers.

With the water temps so high and the game fish so close, I suspect they'll be on the news again between Aug & Oct..........they'll do anything to get on TV, they're just a bunch of hambones..... don't cha know
There are two of em aren't they? The N. county surfers have named them, "Sparky" is one but I can't remember the others name. They aren't real big yet justa couple of teenyboppers.

Dewey
Old 08-03-2006

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Benson
There are two of em aren't they? The N. county surfers have named them, "Sparky" is one but I can't remember the others name. They aren't real big yet justa couple of teenyboppers.

Dewey

Yeah, I think it was two last year and two or three the year before ( or visa versa ) I remember seeing a arial of three fairly close together, but they are Juvies for sure. A very awsome creature, but then they all are for that matter

I didn't know they named them, that's pretty cool
Old 08-03-2006

PhoenixPhire is on a distinguished road
"Last time I checked I think it was more probable you'd be hit by lightening than a shark..."

I've had TWO friends who have been struck by lightning.

Anyhow, I saw this nasty video the other day of a guy in 3ft deep water getting his calf muscle ripped off by a bull shark. It was on "Shark Week" on the Discovery Channel.

Pretty nasty stuff =/
Old 08-04-2006

unclep_64 is on a distinguished road
I have and lived to tell about it.

Go for your swim. Just the week before last I was cruising through the strait of Georgia and the Gulf Islands and did some swimming. Try the beautiful bay on Hardy Island if you want a nice sandy beach. Just keep an eye out for the usual nasties like jelly fish. The post that referrred to feet shuffling to avoid stingrays means that if you shuffle your feet while wading or walking on a sandy bottom you will hit the edge of a stingray and it wiill swim away rather than stepping on its back and having it sting you with its barbed tail. Enjoy!
Old 08-10-2006

Newport41 is on a distinguished road
hey,
These have been my home cruising grounds for 16years. It is very safe. There hasn't ever been a shark attack here although they have found almost every type of shark along the coast of B.C. And we don;t have muck lightning either. The only danger is the cold.
Old 08-10-2006

SteveCox is on a distinguished road
"The only danger is the cold..." Yes, but it is a real danger. I don't know where you have swum in the cold but diving into waters in the sound puts me (and a lot of other people) into shock. People will start spasming so much from the cold that they lose muscle control, ingest water, and drown. Many people do swim mostly in shallower bays that have some warmth from the sun. Also, as far as pollution goes, you don't want to be swimming off of Victoria or further toward the ocean as they dump their sewage raw into the strait of San Juan De Fuca.
Old 08-15-2006

papad is on a distinguished road
It's the Killer Whale that you don't want to look like a seal to.
Old 08-15-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
According to the Safety At Sea seminar, the leading cause of serious injury on a boat was the boom... the leading cause of fatalities was falling in the water... even very experienced sailors will have trouble once they're in the water...

Going in the water intentionally, especially if you are single-handing or sailng short-handed, strikes me as extremely short-sighted. There are many things that could happen, that would make it difficult or impossible to get out of the water, and back on the boat. If the water is cold enough, it can cause hypothermia, and that can cause weakness, loss of dexterity, and poor judgement, all at once... If you've forgotten to put the swim ladder down before diving in...you might be in serious trouble... Don't laugh, this happens more than you'd think. And the list goes on, and on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-15-2006
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
no more tanks

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned boat based air. this company supplies fuel and 12v air.

www.powerdive.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.