Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Question tax

when buying a yacht in the states how dose your Tax work, do you still pay it when the boat will leave the country soon after purchase.

Also a yacht advertised as $50,000 is that pre tax or including tax.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-28-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Prices on US listed boats are without tax added. Can't say about boats in other locations, though I believe Canadian boats include GST in their prices. Sales tax in US is state by state, some do not require tax to be paid if you aren't registering the boat in that state. Best to check with the state in which you plan to purchase.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PBzeer; 07-28-2006 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, all prices are generally quoted pre-tax. The sales tax issue in the United States is handled per state, county and city. So it really depends on where you are going to be registering the boat. Even if the boat is going to be leaving the country soon after purchase, you will probably be responsible for taxes in some jurisdiction.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-28-2006
Wish I never found SN!

how much is the tax (worst)? Im looking at getting a c38 1980/85 and shipping it back to Oz. In Oz its 10% on arrival.

Last edited by SimonV; 07-28-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-28-2006

Johnrb is on a distinguished road
Pbzeer:

With respect to the GST in Canada, it is never included in the advertised price and the same goes for any provincial sales tax. For the record, I’m almost certain the GST is payable only on new boats or boats bought through a dealer or broker. Private sales are exempt - the same goes for automobiles.
Old 07-28-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
how much is the tax (worst)? Im looking at getting a c38 1980/85 and shipping it back to Oz. In Oz its 10% on arrival.
In that case, it might be worth looking at purchasing the boat as an item for export, in which case, you may not have to pay the taxes on it state-side. I would consult with an attorney and broker about this as a possiblity. It would really suck to have to pay 10% in Oz and 5-10% here in the states on top of it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-28-2006

SimonV:

I would clarify this issue ahead of time with both your relevant Australian authorities and the state where you are buying the boat. As an example, I checked with the Canadian and the Ontario government about this issue and a boat imported here is subject to the federal GST and provincial sales tax. Most jurisdictions have a reciprocal policy of no double taxation so if I buy a boat from somewhere else (i.e. the US) and import it into Canada, I may avoid paying a state sales tax if the boat is exported within a reasonable time (more likely I will pay the tax and apply for a rebate later) and pay the Ontario sales tax instead. Unfortunately, the GST is a separate issue which would be levied separately.

If for some reason I had to pay the local state tax in the US, I believe this amount would be deducted from any provincial sales tax payable here in Ontario. It’s the principle of double taxation again. That is why I would ensure everything is sorted out beforehand since governments usually don’t like giving up tax revenue.

Good luck.
Old 07-28-2006
Wish I never found SN!

Thank for that, I am slowly working up the cost. there is a company in OZ that imports older yachts at a 100% mark up a Catalina 38 is US$ 112800 landed in oz. I have calculated do it your self for @ US$ 73000.

Oz has a free trade agreement with the US, No import duty, but GST is payable on total cost of yacht and transport at 10%.

Last edited by SimonV; 07-28-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2006
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
JohnrB.....that's why I said "I believe". When I was looking, I was told tax was included on Canadian boats as the reason their listed price was so much higher than on similar boats in the States.

Simon.....if you google state sales tax for the states in which you are looking at purchasing, you might find some more info.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 07-28-2006

PBeezer:

Glad to help - I wish that was the case (re. higher prices). I suspect the market in the U.S. is much larger with more boats trading at any given time - hence the more competitive market. I would certainly look in the U.S. if I was searching for a boat larger than 30 feet - more so given the current strong Cdn. dollar.

BTW - Ontario 32 - nice boat.

Cheers.