Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2015

Bruce3966 is on a distinguished road
More newbie questions

1. Best free online sailing course?

2. Do you think lifelines are that important on a 16 footer? I mean you can still easily go right over lifelines and in the drink right?

3. Is there a good grill to attach to a boat without bow railings like the P16.5? I would love to be able to grill on the boat.

4. The boat I purchased has lazyjacks but these I believe are just for the main sail and not the job even though I hear others speak about using lazyjacks for the jib?

5. From those experienced, if you could give one good piece of advise for a newbie sailer, what would that be overall and what would the best piece of advise you would give a newbie for his first sail?

6. Is there a cheap self inflatable raft abailable anywhere? The only ones I can find online are full survival rafts for $1000's.

*More questions will come I am sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2015

krisscross is on a distinguished road
Re: More newbie questions

2. Run a good safety line along the boat you can clip on when underway.
3. Don't complicate things too much. Grill on shore.
5. Having too much sail for the weather is asking for trouble. If you know an experienced sailor that can teach you how to sail on your own boat, that is priceless.
Old 02-09-2015

Sixpak is on a distinguished road

1. Online course? Dunno about that but Youtube videos were great for figuring out a few basics. Nothing like having a real sailor aboard to show you the ropes.

2. I have a 23 footer and no lifelines. I wear a pfd when alone.

3. I wouldn't grill on a 16 footer. Bring a habachi and cook on it on a nice sandy beach.

4. Dunno

5. Reef early. Find a someone to teach you some basic sailing skills. Learn to tie a bowline with your eyes closed.

6. Watch craigslist.
Old 02-09-2015
I break <-> I fix

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

The P165 is a cool little keelboat... I am with the others, in that adding a grill to it, is asking for trouble.

6. I wouldn't bother with a raft your boat draws approximately 18 inches of water... you can anchor in places where you can almost get out and walk.

4. The closest equivalency I can think of are lines run from the lifelines to the toerail to catch the jib/genoa when dropped. You might be able to take KrissKross's suggestion for #2, and fancy something up similar.. You can see how mine are rigged in this picture of mast raising...

2. I really don't think lifelines are important to a 16 footer, in fact they may very well complicate things for you (smaller foredeck means less room, less room means tripping over lifelines in the way)... just my $0.02

5. This one is tough, because there are lots of important things to digest just starting out. I have to say for a starter keelboat, the P165 is a great choice, it's quick, stable, forgiving, but also pretty rugged. It's no slug, that being said it should punish you a bit for poor handling, but get you home to brag about it nicely. So there is my advice. The boat will VERY likely handle more than you can. Keep your gear (running/standing rigging) in good shape, and try to push yourself a little bit once you get a feel for it in light air. For now light air should be 10mph or lower... until you get the basics down. If you see storm clouds a coming, tuck tail and run for cover (for now).

Good luck and post up some pictures of your toy when you get a few. Many years ago the P165 (fixed wing keel) or P18 (shoal/centerboard) was my "ideal" step up boat. Came close more times than I can count buying one.
Old 02-09-2015

travellerw is on a distinguished road

1. Don't know of any "Free" online courses. There is a couple of introductory navigation courses. You can checkout NauticEd, they have a free sail trim course. Once you complete that, you can sign up for the other courses. THEY ARE WELL WORTH THE MONEY and not super expensive (like $25/per)
Old 02-09-2015

jwing is on a distinguished road

1. Buy a basic sailing book. Read it some. Go sailing. Re-read the part you read before. Read some more. Go sailing. Repeat as many times as you enjoy. Each time out practice the skills you already know and try to practice a new skill that you read about.

2. Lifelines on a 16 footer will be not worth the expense and the future maintenance problems/upkeep. In fact, your boat's deck is so narrow that lifelines will hinder your passage forward on deck and will be a tripping hazard, so they will actually be more dangerous than not having them.

3. I agree with krisscross. Cook ashore. I doubt you would ever try to cook with a bow-mounted grill after your first attempt.

4. See my reply in your other thread, regarding jib downhaul.

5. As a beginner, got out on light air days only; stay in on moderate or stronger days until you have enough confidence.

Lots of people start out on small boats like Sunfish and Hobie Cats so when they capsize, it's no big deal to re-right the boat, climb back in and continue having fun. But they do learn what makes a boat capsize. You would do well to borrow/rent a Sunfish or similar boat with which to make some mistakes. Lots of sailing clubs have sailing classes that use such boats for teaching.

Make sure your motor is reliable. If you have some maneuvering to do before you get out in open water, keep your sails down, and put your motor in reverse so as to pull your boat through the obstacles. This may not apply to you if you have experience with steering an outboard-powered boat.

6. You don't have enough boat to carry a life raft. Wear a top-quality PFD, and carry new, high-quality throwable floats.
titustiger27 likes this.

Last edited by jwing; 02-09-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-09-2015
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road

Best thing for me..

1) when I bought my first boat the dealer gave me a lesson --- actually he had some young guy (but older than me at the time) take me out. He helped me rig the boat and showed me a few things, then let me sail.

It was about an hour, but not trying on my own was great. I am sure if online videos were around, it wouldn't have matched. It was the best thing...

As many pointed out... start slow. If you pick calm days and work up, it is better than thinking a lifeline will save you, when you don't know what you are doing. Better to not fall out of the boat because you know what you are doing.

One of the things I had in the first year was I sailed on a river that was less than a mile across (you know know it --- Maumee River). I would go out a couple times a week...sailing up river, so, if needed, I could drift back to the launch.

Now that I look back one of the best things about this spot for sailing was I was never far from shore... not sure how safe I was, but it made it so I always felt comfortable.

My guess when it comes to a raft, your boat probably has positive flotation and will not sink... If you think you need something what about a boogie board you can swim to shore with.

The book idea that jwing presented is the best... read, do, read/realize. Time and time again I have done this... I couldn't figure out why the boat wasn't performing.. then the book explained.

Last thing for a newbie.. or anyone I would guess: A check list.

do you have - Sails, rudder, PDFs
did you plug all holes
put down the keel
on and on.

More than once I have backed the boat to the launch and realized I had not taken the straps off.

Vector X Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 02-09-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2015

gedaggett is on a distinguished road

Bruce, I replied to your other thread before seeing this one so to avoid being to redundant I will just say this. If you want I will go out with you on your first sail and help you do a shake down on the boat and show you how to sail her. I am in Michigan often as I work on 3 boats that are in our fleet in St. Joseph and will be up in Holland frequently.

As for the others I think they have been adequately covered by others posts.

Regards,

Gary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2015

chuck5499 is on a distinguished road

Suggestion - go take the ASA 101 course if you truely want to learn and have a great sailing season this summer. Or read try and spend the summer trying to learn.

Did you learn to drive by reading about it on line or in a book?
Old 02-10-2015

Bruce3966 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaggett View Post
Bruce, I replied to your other thread before seeing this one so to avoid being to redundant I will just say this. If you want I will go out with you on your first sail and help you do a shake down on the boat and show you how to sail her. I am in Michigan often as I work on 3 boats that are in our fleet in St. Joseph and will be up in Holland frequently.

As for the others I think they have been adequately covered by others posts.

Regards,

Gary

Gary I might just take you up on that. That is a very nice offer.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.