Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2006

Hawkeye25 is on a distinguished road
The old ketch 'Caprice'

Years ago in Salem, Massachusetts, I stumbled upon the ketch 'Caprice' in the Dyer Boatyard off Lafayette Street. It was an absolutely beautiful wooden yacht of 56' on deck, stripped of her bowsprit and spars, with a brand new horn timber installed, but still needing that particular planking to be re-installed.

Old Fred Dyer had just died and he'd left the yard to his son, young Fred, who told me the name of the owner of Caprice, and that he was drunk somewhere in Florida at last reckoning, and that the boat would be sold at an upcoming sheriff's auction. I found the remains of the owners family, and with their blessing, gathered up the newly rebuilt 3-71 engine, all the sails and rigging, located the fabulous spars in covered storage in a Gloucester boatyard, where I arranged to pay the storage and collect them as soon as I had the yacht in my hands.

I also found that Caprice had been built alongside the famous 'Bluenose' in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, and from the front was almost identical. I think that put her construction at around 1906.

Along came the auction and what followed was one of the most bizzare string of events I have ever seen in a boats history. Fred Dyer bid a hugely inflated number that he claimed to represent the yards outstanding bill for the boat. None of the other lienholders had anything like that to build, so Fred got the boat and everyone else wrote off their losses. I offered Fred the rest of the boat so he could make it whole, but he wasn't interested.

He hired a demolition company to bring over a D9 Cat bulldozer and crush it to kindling. Along came the man and the Cat, he fired up the bulldozer and removed it from the trailer, then stopped it just short of the boat, stepped down and had Fred Jr. sign the required forms. Fred did, then the man reloaded the bulldozer on the trailer and shut it off. He informed Fred that he'd just signed the boat over to him, and that it was now his property, and he had 24 hours to either destroy it or remove it from the boatyard. Fred lost his mind. I'm told it was a great scene that shoul;d be used in movies.

The next day, 'Caprice' showed up in a wooded area in Topsfield off Rt 97, where pricy house lots were being sold and much pricier houses were being built. It turns out the new owner was one of the lost souls of the cocaine generation who was spiralling around the bowl on what might be the last flush of his life. He'd put the boat on his sister's new house lot, I'm sure, with all the required accompanying promises. Cocaine, however, demends it's own payments, and for the next year, the lead ballast pigs and bronze fitting disappeared little by little as the weeds grew up around 'Caprice'.

Then it disappeared again. I soon found her farther north, in the town of West Boxford, behind a needy little house in a newly constructed scrap wood and plastic shed. I talked to the very young and hopeful new owner, who told me that he and his pregnant wife had gotten a $10,000 home improvement loan, and at the last moment, he'd found 'Caprice' and got her for just that much, and now he was going to fix her up and sail off. I gave him all the information for the rest of the boat, where it was and how to gather it, then walked away shaking my head. Maybe it was Caprice that was spiralling around the bowl for the last flush.

Has anyone from that area ever stumble upon the boat and might know what happened to her? I'm pretty sure she musy be dead and gone, but who knows? Maybe the kid was able to save her.

Hawk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-21-2009

CapriceSailor is on a distinguished road
Caprice Information

My dad and his friends owned a 57' ketch named Caprice back in the '60s. It sailed out of Gloucester harbor. Gorgeous boat. I remember it well including the reference to the Bluenose. Does anyone have any additional info?

Thank you,
George
Old 09-21-2009

xsboats is on a distinguished road
Run an inquiry on the Woodenboat Rescue website. The Wooden Boat Rescue Foundation
Old 09-21-2009

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Also try the WoodenBoat Forum. Many of those guys keep track of classics.
Old 07-10-2011

BJK456 is on a distinguished road
The Old Caprice

Hawk,

I just pulled out some old paper work on the Caprice. Thought you might like to know. Built 1928 at Shelburne, Nova Scotia. The architect was the same that designed the blue nose. Built in Shelton's Yatch Yard in Nova Scotia.

Warm regards,

Brian
Old 07-11-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
umm, last post was 2 years ago and the first post was from 2006 :-) Be interesting to see if the OP responds.
Cheers!
Old 07-11-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Good point, but even if the early posters have gone, it's an interesting story.
Old 07-11-2011
Old Gaffer

FishSticks is on a distinguished road
I have a few memories of Caprice from when we both sailed from Beacon Marine in the 60's. I recollect she sailed with a jolly crew of bagpipers. And one odd thing sticks in my mind.... her bronze fittings suddenly got dazzlingly shiny, for it turned out they had been gold-plated, causing some wonderment and providing a topic of amusement at the Saturday afternoon beer parties at Beacon when we all quit working on our boats and consumed bushels of lobster bodies. Funny, the stuff you remember.

Last edited by FishSticks; 07-11-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-11-2011

BJK456 is on a distinguished road
The Caprice was sold a Ed Bryne around 1973-74. I know this because I spent 4 years sailing and working on the vessel when I was in college. Originally, I met Ed when working on a 42 Alden that he bought. The Alden was out of the water in Beacon's yatch basin. The Caprice was in the water along side the Schooner Coronet. Ed initially sailed the boat every weekend of the first two years he owned it. I usually supplied the crew of more than eager college students. The last two years that he owned it he began a serious restoration in Beacons Yatch Basin.

Ed had hoped to sail the Caprice down to the Carribean and live there. In particular he liked the Dominican Republic. He owned a paper mill in Newberryport and had been negotiating starting one in the Dominican Republic. Through a series of bad luck Ed lost the controlling ownership in his own paper mill and was out of business. His wife caught him cheating and sued for divorce. Amidst all this he had a fall which kicked up an old back condition. And then he had a stroke.

I last saw Ed before I left for California. He had owed Beacons a substantial amount and the last few years found him broke. I rowed out to a mooring where he was sitting on the Caprice working away as if nothing happened. The masts were out at that time. Ed was fading fast. His health in disarray, his family and wealth were gone. I read a newspaper clipping about his death around 2003 in Florida after a long illness. It seems he re-married late in life to a Dominican gal.

I came back from California for a short visit in the summer of 1983 when the Caprice was up for auction at Dion's yard in Salem. Stories abounded about the boat. I climbed on board and paid my respects.

If your curiosity is there she was one beautiful boat under sail and one of the finest boats that I ever sailed on. I remember one year during the Marblehead race week we sailed the Caprice into Marblehead harbor during a storm. Ed tacked her about 100 yards from the causeway under full sail. What a thrill.

The particulars were that she was built in 1928 in Shelton's yatch yard in Nova Scotia. Her designer was Billy Roue the designer of the Blue Nose and thus the resemblance. She was galvanized fastenend which represented a series of problems on a boat that old. Typical of some of the old working boats, cement had been poured into the bilge. Time and fresh water caused alot of dry rot. Ed had thought the boat was close to done and was trying to make it out of Glouchester before the winter of 1975, when he found all the dry rot. That was the kiss of death for the Caprice.

Regards,

BJK
Old 07-12-2011

MARC2012 is on a distinguished road
Sad ending for what sounds like a fine vessel.marc

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.