Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2015
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Moving to MD

Sorry I've been away so long. Last season was a bust, and life kind of got in the way. Anyway...I'm starting a new job in a few weeks, and my family and I will eventually be relocating to Maryland. I've rented an apartment on the south side of Glen Burnie, and will be moving in in a few weeks. Once we get our house in PA cleaned up and on the market, I'll be looking to move Dragon Wing from Barnegat Bay back to (for those who have followed our saga from the beginning, ironically) the Chesapeake Bay near Annapolis. I happened to see Oak Harbor Marina in Pasadena last weekend when I was doing a little exploring of the area. Does anyone know anything about the marina, or others in the area which are relatively inexpensive?

How is sailing out of the Potapsco river? I assume there is a fair bit of commercial traffic in the river. Are there a lot of crab pots in that area?
T37Chef likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-17-2015

endoit is on a distinguished road
Re: Moving to MD

Nice marina, good people, know their stuff and don't overcharge . Ken, Chris and JB are fun to work with and share their knowledge. I keep my boat there in the winter and had lots done over the years. Lots of cruisers return for tune ups, and my boat broker keeps his boat there as well.
jimgo likes this.
Old 02-17-2015

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

I have sailed and raced on the Patapsco River. Oak Harbor Marina is located on Rock Creek. I know of two other marinas on Rock Creek - White Rocks Marina and Fairview Marina. All three offer easy access to the river. All three appear to be well sheltered, but Oak Harbor is, IMO, the best protected from the wind. The Rock Creek Racing Assn. organizes races on the Patapsco River on Wednesday evenings, which are usually followed by a cookout at Oak Harbor. I don't recall seeing any crab pots on most of the river, but there might have been a few near the entrance to the bay. There is quite a bit of commercial traffic on the Patapsco, but the river is fairly wide, and they stay in the deep water channel, so they aren't a problem, as long as you pay attention. You can usually see them coming from either direction for a long distance.
Old 02-17-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Oak Harbor is a nice place, nice people, you'll love it there. Good access to the bay as well.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 02-17-2015
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Good to hear from you Jim.. congrats? on the new job....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-17-2015

scratchee is on a distinguished road

Directly across the creek from Oak Harbor is Pasadena Yacht Yard. These two marinas are about a 15 minute motor to the mouth of the Patapsco (which is also right where it meets the bay). I have done business with both and have been happy with both the service and the personalities. That section of the creek is very well protected, and is also a nice quiet anchorage for finishing out an evening sail (or even overnighting.) For someone moving to Glen Burnie, I would definitely recommend Rock Creek as a less expensive alternative to places further south.
Old 02-17-2015

Rapp is on a distinguished road

Crab Pots are prohibited on the majority of the rivers that feed the Chesapeake,they're allowed in a few designated areas on just a few,I'm not sure if the Patapsco is one of them but I can find out in the next few days if you want to know.
Old 02-17-2015

scratchee is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention "Blake's Bar Harbor", on Rock Creek between White Rocks and Oak Harbor/PYY. Also a nice group of people. They have limited haulout capability for a 31 foot sailboat.
Old 02-17-2015
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Rapp, you can place crab pots in the Patapsco River, but there are restrictions for selling crabs from that area. They still put a fair amount of pots at the mouth of the river, though, mostly near the site of the old Craig Hill Light.

Gary
Old 02-17-2015

Rapp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
Rapp, you can place crab pots in the Patapsco River, but there are restrictions for selling crabs from that area. They still put a fair amount of pots at the mouth of the river, though, mostly near the site of the old Craig Hill Light.

Gary
Gary,I personally wouldn't eat any crabs from there from what I've heard of water quality

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.