Do you make guests wear PFDs? - SailNet Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 02-18-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Do you make guests wear PFDs?

I never have but it occurs to me that land people may not know the risks the same wsy I do. The captain of an airplane dictates when you buckle up....

most of the time I'm on a sailboat I am known as a sailor and thus am allowed to choose. Only on one friends boat that I've been on are pfds mandatory at all times in a conditions. She handed nice inflatable ones to everyone as they boarded which was a nice touch I thought.

What do you do? Yes, no, or depends on conditions?

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 02-19-2015
Remember you're a womble

Re: Do you make guests wear PFDs?

I give people the option if the weather is pretty good, if there is any chance of snortyness, it is compulsory, and if they leave the cockpit underway, also compulsory. Only exceptions are other sailors that I trust know the risks for themselves and can make a decision accordingly.

Orange Crush
1974 C&C27 MkII

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 50 Old 02-19-2015

Optional unless nonswimmer, or 16 and under (Louisiana law).

Or unless I tell us all to put them on (weather).
BarryL and travlineasy like this.
post #4 of 50 Old 02-19-2015
islander bahama 24

Have a simple rule you leave the cockpit you wear a floater period I wear my sosspenders all the time on deck underway and yes that means in the cockpit to ( lead by example)

Illegitimus Non Tatum Carborundum.

post #5 of 50 Old 02-19-2015

Not on our current boat, unless they are under 13, then it is law. It's all but impossible to trip and fall out of our cockpit. It's rare that we would take guests out in the kind of nasty conditions that my wife and I put them on.

We would put them on, if we needed to leave the cockpit, but that would only be to address a problem. All lines are in the cockpit.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #6 of 50 Old 02-19-2015
just ducky

If I decide (or the Admiral) that it is time to put on my life vest, everyone puts on one. If I'm not wearing one I don't expect others to wear one (subject to the age requirement).
Minnewaska and Dfok like this.

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
post #7 of 50 Old 02-19-2015

As long as they are adults, they can choose. I do however highlight that I choose to wear mine *all the time* while under way. Without being doom and gloom, I do try to summarize the risks in the choice so they can make an informed decision. I emphasize that if they decide to leave the confines of the cockpit I highly recommend wearing a PFD. The wife and I have an agreed upon boundary of 15 knots sustained.

By the way an interesting book to read on the topic is "Accidentally Overboard". Pretty clear that many accidents happen when weather is calm and just having a PFD drastically increases the odds of staying alive.

Josh
ccriders likes this.
post #8 of 50 Old 02-19-2015

I will take credit for this much. I always tell new guest where the pfds are located in the cockpit and I have a rule that no one goes on deck without letting me know.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 50 Old 02-19-2015
Captain Obvious

Not if they can swim. We always point to the cockpit locker and tell people where the life preservers are before setting out.

If it gets rough we might tell everyone to put on pfd's. Only had to do that once.

If its rough enough that we have to put on pfd's when we set out - we stay at the dock.

Sal Paradise

Senior Researcher - Dunning Kruger

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 02-19-2015 at 09:16 AM.
post #10 of 50 Old 02-19-2015

We NEVER leave the dock unless all aboard are wearing PFD. All guests get instructions on how to operate PFD. We have pulled crew from other boats during races, wind and water were light but the victims were still in shock.

Seems every year somebody goes out alone on Lake Ontario, the boat arrives but crewless.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.