WATCH: Shipping Around The World In 1:40 : The Two-Way : NPR
mbianka likes this.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-22-2015

Dock
Re: A little traffic

Interesting that if you are not sailing on a shipping route there ain't much out there! North Atlantic the spread out a bit but everywhere else its damn lonely.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-22-2015

All that boat traffic and like you said most days you don't see a thing out on open sea. Reminds me of the maps that identify airplane traffic, screen usually looks like the air would be littered with planes but doesnt look that way when you look up.

I can tell you the Elizabeth River here in norfolk usually looks empty when passing in a car. When I am out driving the ferry around its a whole different perspective. There is tons of traffic and what is even more crazy is it appears to come out of nowhere!

My two lovely ladies!!
USCG 100T Near Coast Master with 100T Inland Sail Endorsement
post #4 of 11 Old 02-22-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser2B View Post
I can tell you the Elizabeth River here in norfolk usually looks empty when passing in a car. When I am out driving the ferry around its a whole different perspective. There is tons of traffic and what is even more crazy is it appears to come out of nowhere!
Are you one of the Portsmouth to Norfolk ferry pilots?
post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2015

Yes, been working on it for about a yr now. Started deckhanding, now a part time captain. pt work for the boat fund
post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2015

Cool! Was on your ferry right after Xmas. Stayed at the Renaissance Hotel and went over to Norfolk for dinner. While aboard we where watching on a iPhone AIS app. all the traffic that was on the Elizabeth River that night. Also the AIS app. gave us warning when your ferry was approaching the Norfolk side as it was a cold night and it wasn't pleasent night standing at the loading ramp...
post #7 of 11 Old 02-23-2015

Complete BS from a sailor's perspective. They have drawn each ship trace about 10,000 longer and wider than the actual ship. If you were out there in those lanes you would not feel threatened in any way by the implied density. With the exception of harbor entrances and some of the truly narrow channels, like around Singapore. Out in the oceans, completely overblown depiction.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #8 of 11 Old 02-23-2015
Barquito

Quote:
Out in the oceans, completely overblown depiction.
Possibly. But, it would be nice to have a map of expected shipping density.

Bristol 27
Cirque
post #9 of 11 Old 02-23-2015
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
Complete BS from a sailor's perspective. They have drawn each ship trace about 10,000 longer and wider than the actual ship. If you were out there in those lanes you would not feel threatened in any way by the implied density. With the exception of harbor entrances and some of the truly narrow channels, like around Singapore. Out in the oceans, completely overblown depiction.
Not really it is simply showing the path of shipping vessels. I don't think there is any "overblown depiction" at all. If the lines were the actual width of the vessels then you could not see them unless zoomed in. I think it is interesting to see how many are out there.
Slayer likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 02-24-2015

I am not going to analyze it...I have been at PD in the North Atlantic and it is pretty damn lonely but this is just plain cool

Thanks

My boat is cheap and old but when I put those white things up it moves...so it must work like everyone elses

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.