Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
One-day sale on WestMarine paints

I thought you might be interested to know that Westmarine has a "Fantastic Friday" sale on their WM-branded paints today.

I've used Pettit Vivid the last 4 years, but want to change to a traditional ablative this year. I was thinking of Pettit Ultima SR-40, but Practical Sailor shows PCA Gold giving similar or better performance at the 20-month mark. So for $159 I think I'll give that a try this time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to TakeFive For This Useful Post:
DRFerron (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road
Re: One-day sale on WestMarine paints

Rant on..............
I'm a little ticked off at WM right now. Last Friday they had a fantastic deal on a Garmin plotter. I went to the web site no more than 30 seconds after the email arrived and they were sold out. My email program checks every two minutes, so 2 minutes and 30 seconds after the emails left they sold out? I even emailed them about and got no replies.
Rant off..........
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Rant on..............
I'm a little ticked off at WM right now. Last Friday they had a fantastic deal on a Garmin plotter. I went to the web site no more than 30 seconds after the email arrived and they were sold out. My email program checks every two minutes, so 2 minutes and 30 seconds after the emails left they sold out? I even emailed them about and got no replies.
Rant off..........
I got that email also. It clearly says "In stores and online" and "Limited to stock on hand". My guess would be that they may have shipped all their clearance stock to the stores. Did you call a local store to see if they had one? I suspect that one of the objectives of these "loss leaders" is to drive traffic to the stores so you'll buy something else in addition.

Just for the record, WM had plenty of paint when I went there. But just in case, I followed my normal practice of calling the store before heading out to be sure that they had the grade/color that I wanted in stock. (They held a gallon for me.)

I'm sorry you didn't get the chartplotter that you wanted. I suspect that, like any store, they can't predict how quickly their inventory will deplete once the email goes out. And sometimes there are server replication issues on the receiving end that cause delays for some people in getting the emails. FWIW, my email on the chartplotter deal arrived Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 7:49 AM EST. When did yours arrive?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Captainmeme is on a distinguished road

"When did yours arrive? " I cleaned up my emails today so I can't say when it arrived. I can say it arrived after 7:49 EST because I turn my computer on after at least 8:30 and the mail arrived well after that. Yes I should have called the store. It is in Knoxville, a good hour away. Oh well, maybe something better, newer, bigger, faster will come my way before the boat goes in the water.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
"When did yours arrive? " I cleaned up my emails today so I can't say when it arrived. I can say it arrived after 7:49 EST because I turn my computer on after at least 8:30 and the mail arrived well after that...
You can probably thank your ISP's server-side anti-malware filtering for slowing down the delivery.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I went into my local store, the email was clearly in CAD, with the different paints on there. My local store had CPP for $214+tax and that was it, so their $149-$214 range was clearly crap since CPP is their cheapest (and it's junk). They even had the nice posteR with it all on there, I wanted the PCA Gold stuff, can't buy that apparently. Waste of time.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I
ve used the PCA the last 4-5 yrs or so on my boat. For here in Puget sound, works well.

Rumour has it, it will be getting a slight formula change. As Bayer bought the rights to the algacide, and did not renew the license. So the copper count is going up to make up for no ALgaecide. The algaecide is why I like it over the Micron I was using, as I seem to have more algae issues on the hull vs hard stuff. At least this is the case for me any how.

Time to find a paint with some other algaecide version in it.

Marty
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Proud "picnic sailor"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I
ve used the PCA the last 4-5 yrs or so on my boat. For here in Puget sound, works well.

Rumour has it, it will be getting a slight formula change. As Bayer bought the rights to the algacide, and did not renew the license. So the copper count is going up to make up for no ALgaecide. The algaecide is why I like it over the Micron I was using, as I seem to have more algae issues on the hull vs hard stuff. At least this is the case for me any how.

Time to find a paint with some other algaecide version in it.

Marty
Yeah, there's definitely some signs of changes happening in the formulations. PS started listing the biocide as NCN (instead of Irgarol) a couple years ago - for both PCA Gold and Ultima SR-40. I think NCN may be a generic acronym for the IUPAC name for Irgarol 1051, so my guess is that they went to a knockoff product (probably from China). WestMarine no longer lists Irgarol for PCA Gold, but Google searches bring up an older page on the WestMarine site that still lists Irgarol - but you can't browse to it, you can only get there with a Google search. Ultima SR-40 still lists Irgarol, but similarly, you can't browse to it on WestMarine's site - you need to use Google to locate the page.

So there are numerous signs that Irgarol is gone from PCA Gold, but hopefully the generic replacement is equivalent.

Regardless, I had to buy something in the next few weeks, the price was right, and I had $20 of certificates that would have expired soon, so I went ahead and took a shot with PCA Gold.

EDIT: I just checked the label on my can of PCA Gold. The active ingredients are 40% cuprous oxide and 2% NCN. So there is an algaecide in it, and it's identical to Irgarol 1051.

Last edited by TakeFive; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:35 AM.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

4arch is on a distinguished road

On my old boat I ended up alternating between Pettit SR-40 and PCA Gold based on whichever was cheaper when I went to purchase it. Sometimes the name brand paint would actually be cheaper on sale combined with mail in rebates.

When we bought the new boat, the old owner had been painting it with Hydrocoat (the non-SR version) and we continued doing so. Even though itís only been a single season so far, the Hydrocoat isnít performing any worse than the more expensive biocide paints. And in addition to being cheaper, it was easier to apply, much less smelly during application, and easier to clean up. Weíll see how it continues to hold up going on a second season.

One thing with the biocide paints I noticed on the old boat is that the slime reducing properties only seemed to make a noticeable difference for the first 3-4 months after launch. By the time the waterís extremely warm in July and August, the only things that keep the soft growth away are having the boat cleaned regularly and taking it out for a good sail (or motor) not less than once a week.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

Not sure if NCN and Irgarol are the same per say. If it is, then why is the copper content up vs the version with Irgarol? Generic versions are supposed to be equal to name brand versions. So more copper to make up would/should not be needed. I would have to look at the actual chemical name of the NCN to see if it is the same.

I know in the Horticulture field, Round Up/Glyphosate comes in more than one brand. Ortho sells it as Kleenup, Lilly Miller as Knockout. They all list glyphosate as the active ingredient. So would need to do the same with NCN and Irgarol.

I will be interested in knowing how the new formulation works. As I will need to repaint in the next 6-12 months. Altho I may do a complete sand down, epoxy and new paint. With the new regs in Washington state coming with no copper after 2020 or there abouts, I may go with one of the non copper based paints.

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.