Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
What would you buy?

As was pointed out several times the production boat discussion was fundamentally flawed since there was no consideration of cost in it. Not many people are in the position of choosing between an Oyster, even a used one, and a Hunter (new or old). Instead you have $xxx and have to decide what is the best way to spend this amount if you want to head off cruising. Starting from this assumption, and assuming that you wanted to head off sailing for a number of years, and wanted to be able to cross an ocean or two, but had no ambitions to challenge the Roaring Forties, what you buy with each of these budgets. The suggested amounts are to buy the boat and get it ready for the task mentioned. Assume that you have the monthly income to keep your boat in the manner required (i.e. ignore the ongoing costs of ownership, that is a different discussion).

Less than $15,000 - ??

$50,000 to $70,000 range - ??

$100,000 to $130,000 range - ??

$200,000 to $250,000 range -??

$700,000 + range - ??

I will save my responses until I think about them some more.
Old 03-08-2015

jzk is on a distinguished road
Re: What would you buy?

200k - 250k:

Tayana 55. Could be had for less, but that amount would be needed to possibly upgrade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2015

700+

I would go with the Knysna 500.

Last edited by jzk; 03-08-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 03-08-2015

krisscross is on a distinguished road

Less than $15,000 - Cape Dory 28, (1978 and up) with a bridge deck and tiller

$50,000 to $70,000 range - Baba 30

$100,000 to $200,000 range - Morris 36 Justine
Old 03-08-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post

Less than $15,000 - ?? I think the conventional answer here might be a Vega, but I think there may be comparable boats that are cheaper. Would be some boat from the late 70s to late 80s.

$50,000 to $70,000 range - ??Perhaps a CS 36T or Wauquiez Pretorien from the 80s.

$100,000 to $130,000 range - ?? Entirely pleased with our Bristol 45.5.

$200,000 to $250,000 range -?? Here is where it gets interesting. I think I might go for the best Amel I could find in this price range, but June would like a catamaran and we might be able to get one in this price range that would do. Don't know cats well enough to suggest a model.

$700,000 + range - ?? Would be a nice problem to have. Could go with a new Amel but it would be nice to see what kind of new cat you could get for this much money. Might also want to sit down with a designer like Bob and have a boat designed. Probably something around 45 to 48 feet.
I reserve the right to select differently if I think of a different boat.
Old 03-08-2015

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Less than $15,000 - i wouldn't. Not that a boat in this price range isn't capable of crossing oceans, but I wouldn't be on one while it did.

$50,000 to $70,000 range - what we have, a Beneteau 381. It falls nicely in this range, and with some tweaks I would feel comfortable with it. The quality may be a bit lower than I would like however.

$100,000 to $130,000 range - something newish, European, and larger. For this trip definition I don't see the need for top flight quality, but the extra budget would allow a larger and better equipped boat. Possibly a 381 again but with more toys.

$200,000 to $250,000 range - mid size catamaran. Newish with toys. Knowing me one focused more on performance than load carrying, but likely a mix of the two

$700,000 + range - how much + is there? My dream boat of the week is the Neel trimaran at around $600k for the 45. If there is a lot of plus then the Neel 65, maybe a big Gunboat. If there is an unlimited amount.... Well I was going to say a Gunboat 90, but frankly I think it would be too big. It would probably come down to the Neel or a big GB.
I should point out that if the design requirements or expected usage were different then I would radically change the boat. Assuming that I might cross the Atlantic once to do the med is one thing, if I was planning on a real ocean traveler then I would be looking at better founded boats. Larger euro styling boats like the Beneteau would give way to smaller and older Amels, and Oysters.

The Carribean just doesn't demand the same type of boat that the North Atlantic does. When budgets get unlimited then you buy whatever you want, but most fair weather sailing doesn't really demand than much in terms of absolute quality. A Beneteau/Hunter/Catalina for the Carribean is perfectly fine. Given a fixed budget I think the money is better spent on more and better living accommodations than a stronger design... At least so long as the boat is strong enough to do what you want it to do.
Old 03-08-2015

I hear you on the NEEL 45. It seems like an awesome cruising boat. The 65 is 2+ million and really really big. If I were a buyer, I.would be a.little hesitant about the 45 just because of the new.design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble:2627905
Quote:

Less than $15,000 - i wouldn't. Not that a boat in this price range isn't capable of crossing oceans, but I wouldn't be on one while it did.

$50,000 to $70,000 range - what we have, a Beneteau 381. It falls nicely in this range, and with some tweaks I would feel comfortable with it. The quality may be a bit lower than I would like however.

$100,000 to $130,000 range - something newish, European, and larger. For this trip definition I don't see the need for top flight quality, but the extra budget would allow a larger and better equipped boat. Possibly a 381 again but with more toys.

$200,000 to $250,000 range - mid size catamaran. Newish with toys. Knowing me one focused more on performance than load carrying, but likely a mix of the two

$700,000 + range - how much + is there? My dream boat of the week is the Neel trimaran at around $600k for the 45. If there is a lot of plus then the Neel 65, maybe a big Gunboat. If there is an unlimited amount.... Well I was going to say a Gunboat 90, but frankly I think it would be too big. It would probably come down to the Neel or a big GB.
I should point out that if the design requirements or expected usage were different then I would radically change the boat. Assuming that I might cross the Atlantic once to do the med is one thing, if I was planning on a real ocean traveler then I would be looking at better founded boats. Larger euro styling boats like the Beneteau would give way to smaller and older Amels, and Oysters.

The Carribean just doesn't demand the same type of boat that the North Atlantic does. When budgets get unlimited then you buy whatever you want, but most fair weather sailing doesn't really demand than much in terms of absolute quality. A Beneteau/Hunter/Catalina for the Carribean is perfectly fine. Given a fixed budget I think the money is better spent on more and better living accommodations than a stronger design... At least so long as the boat is strong enough to do what you want it to do.
Old 03-08-2015

jerryrlitton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to jerryrlitton Send a message via MSN to jerryrlitton Send a message via Yahoo to jerryrlitton Send a message via Skype™ to jerryrlitton

I waited a bunch of years and found the perfect boat. Documented world cruiser but less than 50k but more than 15k with very little upgrades needed to do involved. But would not fit in your scaling.

S/V Temptation
Islander 44
(Very non-production)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-08-2015
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Less than $15,000 - ?? Folkboat probably but I doubt I'd do anything other than coastal hops. At this size I know I would go batshite crazy living aboard.

$50,000 to $70,000 range - ?? Van de Stadt 34 would do. Still a bit tight but getting there.

$100,000 to $130,000 range - ?? Moody 425 but it might be a a squeeze to get a really good one in that price range.

$200,000 to $250,000 range -?? Amel would be nice but would also have to consider Malo and Hallberg Rassey. Again have to do some hard bargaining to get into the price range.

$700,000 + range - ?? Bestevear/Bestewind 50.

ďLife is a trick, and you get one chance to learn it.Ē
― Terry Pratchett, Nation

Last edited by tdw; 03-08-2015 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.