AIS phantom ship - SailNet Community
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 Old 03-23-2015 Thread Starter

AIS phantom ship

Yesterday we were sailing near Angel Island, when I looked at the plotter screen, and saw an AIS target moving fast, close, and on collision course (plotter shows a dotted line of projected course for AIS targets, the length of which relates to speed).

I looked in the direction of the target, and there was nothing there. No boats at all, not for miles. The target on the screen got closer and closer, until it passed straight through us - then vanished.

If this had been a foggy day, this would have quite freaked me out. Thankfully it was a nice sunny day.

Has this glitch been heard of before, or have we witnessed the first AIS ghost ship?

I wish I had had the presence of mind to select the target and see what the name of the vessel was.

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 03-23-2015

Re: AIS phantom ship

Submarine ?
post #3 of 52 Old 03-23-2015 Thread Starter

If it was a submarine, it crashed quite hard into Angel Island, unless it made a very sharp turn. How would a submarine transmit AIS without a antenna above the water?

Bristol 31.1, San Francisco Bay

post #4 of 52 Old 03-23-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markwesti View Post
Submarine ?
Extremely unlikely. If Mark did not notice it while it was passing 'through him' it would have been deep enough to prevent VHF radio to get to the surface (not that I think a sub would transmit VHF under water).

Could it be some spoofer? There is no reason why the AIS signals must correspond to a physical object. E.g. Virtual Aids to Navigation (VAtoN). It could not be too hard to 'simulate' anything that you want on the radio waves.
post #5 of 52 Old 03-23-2015

Please, DO report the incident to the USCG and DHS .... time, place, etc. If you have an electronic log of the phantom AIS, all the better.
sprega, SHNOOL, ottos and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 52 Old 03-23-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
Yesterday we were sailing near Angel Island, when I looked at the plotter screen, and saw an AIS target moving fast, close, and on collision course (plotter shows a dotted line of projected course for AIS targets, the length of which relates to speed).

I looked in the direction of the target, and there was nothing there. No boats at all, not for miles. The target on the screen got closer and closer, until it passed straight through us - then vanished.

If this had been a foggy day, this would have quite freaked me out. Thankfully it was a nice sunny day.

Has this glitch been heard of before, or have we witnessed the first AIS ghost ship?
AIS transmitters send out the position they are given by the navigation network, almost always from a GPS receiver. The information doesn't have to be true to be transmitted. This is how synthetic and vitual AToNs work.

In your case it could be any of a failing GPS receiver on a ship, possibly one of the DoD tests (likelihood depending on where you are), or someone purposely spoofing a ship location.

Regardless you won't be the first.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beware "cut and paste" sailors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 52 Old 03-23-2015
░░░░░░░░░░

Some prankster screwing around with a drone?

But the web sites all showing AIS info, surely some of them are also archiving it. The USCG probably will be very interested in this, and if they aren't...CC the Commandant's Office anyway. There's a genuine DHS concern here.
post #8 of 52 Old 03-23-2015
Broad Reachin'

What about an aircraft? Possible signal from an airplane transponder?
Dog Ship likes this.

Catalina 34

post #9 of 52 Old 03-23-2015
Mermaid Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Some prankster screwing around with a drone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaltersmi View Post
What about an aircraft? Possible signal from an airplane transponder?
All three are extremely unlikely. Even in the unlikely event that the "ghost ship" was intentional (technically not hard but generally above the script kiddie level of pranking) there is no reason to go to the effort of a drone or other aircraft. Anyone with the technical capacity could generate such an AIS product with much cheaper means with a much lower probability of getting caught.

Frankly it isn't hard. It just requires some multi-disciplinary technical knowledge and engineering discipline. Hopefully anyone with those capabilities (and I can think of a small handful just here on SailNet) has the ethics to behave. No - I won't give anyone a step-by-step guide.

I think the more likely explanation is a GPS failure. The ship in question will deal with it in due course as will be clear to them that they are not where their GPS tells them they are.

sail fast and eat well, dave S/V Auspicious

beware "cut and paste" sailors

post #10 of 52 Old 03-23-2015

Catalina 22
on a starboard tack

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.