Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2001

labones is on a distinguished road
sailboat names

Had the same problem, what to name ''er .... I was taught to sit at the helm and the boat''ll tell you ''er name. This may take some time so there is no rush. My problem was, when the name came to me the wife had already made up a name, turned out to be a fashion magazine.

moral is ... take your time, it will come to you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
sailboat names

Answer to mystery nane: JAFEICA

Just Another @&#@%^! Expense I Can''t Afford

Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 08-24-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
sailboat names

I think your name suggestion sucks! This also violates my rule of being easily understood on the VHF. You are the weakest link......good bye!
Old 08-24-2001

sailboat names

Denr,
Which name suggestion are you referring to. If you are referring to JAFEICA, it was not a suggestion, it was just a funny story. Lighten up buddy.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 08-24-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
sailboat names

You''re assuming that
a.)we all thought it was a funny story
b.)I am a guy
Old 08-24-2001

sailboat names

Denr,
What''s your problem. I have noticed that occasionally you let loose on this board. People have questions. If you disagree with the answers thats what the board is for. State your viewpoint. If all you want to do is be a jerk then stay out!!
And BTW by calling you "buddy" I was not assuming that you are a male. The only assumption I made is that you are not a lady.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 08-24-2001

fmclean is on a distinguished road
sailboat names

"This also violates MY (MY caps!!!) rule "... I sure as heck don''t like the sound of THAT... are YOUR rules ALL-important?
By the way, the names "Queen Mary", "Queen Elizabeth", "United States", "Isle de France"... are all good names which "violate" YOUR rule and survived... now "Titanic", which FITS YOUR "rule", on the other hand.....!!!!!!

In MY humble (but never wrong) opinion, naming a boat should NOT be based on the pessimistic principal of having to call for help... boats are about being SELF-COMPITENT!!!
Old 08-25-2001
JeffH

sailboat names

Jeez Folks, This is an easy thread. Nothing all that controversial here.

Denr''s advice that the best names for a boats are typically single word names and easy to understand words is very classic advice that goes back at least to Herreshoff (which also preceeds yachts calling over a radio for advice). The use of a single word and a clearly understandable name is important not just for rescue but for any less dramatic kind of radio communications be it rescue (either as the rescuer or the rescuee), contacting a marina or other sailing vessel (i.e. shipping in a confined channel or any other kind of communications. It has little or nothing to do with pessimism or lack of self reliance. On the other hand, it is not a rule that I have stuck with having owned boats called Midnight Express, Havn, Miss B. Havn, and Rugosa.

On the other hand, even if Denr did not find Jafeica amusing, at least some of us may have found it cute. I also normally think of the word ''buddy'' as meaning friend and not having a gender preference. Chill pal!

Lastly, Fmclean there is no need to shout (words in all caps on the net means the word is shouted). That said, I suspect that all of us would agree with you that, ''naming a boat should not be based on the pessimistic principal of having to call for help" and that a part of boats is being self- competent. Its is still easier to comunicate self- competent sailor to self- competent sailor with a simple to understand single word names.

Group hug folks. That''s better!
Jeff
Old 08-25-2001

sailboat names

Thanks for you comment JeffH.
I think Denr had good advise, but for some reason he lost it. (I think he has his boat on a mooring in Milwaukee and we have been having a weed problem in our harbor, esp. bad in the mooring area. Its hard for some of the people on moorings to get their boats out--maybe we should cut him/her/it some slack).
Jafeica was not a suggestion for a name, I just thought it was funny. BTW, the name was on a motor boat. Kind of typical of a motor boater.
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 08-25-2001

fmclean is on a distinguished road
sailboat names

I do apologize... I didn''t mean to SHOUT... I''m just a rotten typerist and editor... kinda like a lot of other people who don''t intend to offend, but aren''t totally typing-perfect. Again, sorry to offend, and thank you for your (I''m sure) well-intentioned advice.
But I still stick to my belief (boat-name-wise)... as I sincerely hope others will stick to theirs.
That''s SAILING (SHOUTED!!!).