Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2001

hervel is on a distinguished road
sailboat names

Great suggestions and spirited discussion.
We just bought a Lagoon 410, closing due at the end of November and We''re having the same soul search.
So far the kids want to name her "Phat Cat", my assistant thinks that "A buncha Yahoos" would reflect perflecty on her crew.....My brother who runs a sporting good store think that "ADIDAS" is great ( all day I dream about sailing ) since I seem to do that...I''d like to tink of her as an "Alee Cat" but she probably will be named "Mama Cocha" after the Inca sea goddess since it seems to be the name preferred by " She who runs all things and must be obeyed"....
Still a couple months to go and things could change....
Happy sailing

Herve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
sailboat names

No my yacht is not in Milwaukee. I am in Waukegan but the weeds are pretty bad there as well. Just last week a new herbicide was applied that should help but can''t say how it will affect the fish that ply the waters in the harbor.

I was just yanking your halyard last week when I made the comment about JAFEICA. I don''t consider boat ownership an expense. I can''t tell you how sick I am of hearing the "hole in the water" story. Nothing gives me more pleasure than sailing.

By the way, when are they going to update McKinley? This marina has got to be one of the most pathetic on the lake for a major city. When going north, most of the cruisers I know try to skip Milwaukee. I was forced to stop there (2) years ago seeking refuge during a gale we had been caught in. Milwaukee was a welcome port at the time, but in good weather we always go by.
Old 08-27-2001

rbh1515 is on a distinguished road
sailboat names

Denr,
McKinley is being updated in 3 phases. The north section has already been updated with floating docks. The center section will be updated at the end of this season, and the south section next year. It will be a big improvement over what we have now. We had a terrible weed problem this year. They had milfoil(sp?) problems earlier in the season and sprayed for that in early July. Then about a month later another weed came in and the county was dragging their feet, and doing nothing. During the Milwaukee Yacht Clubs Grand Prix race all the boats were getting stuck in the weeds in the harbor and everyone was having to jump in the water to clear the weeds off before racing. On the J35 I was crewing on there were clumps on weeds as big as a volkswagen wrapped around the bottom of the boat. Finally after alot of pressure from everyone, the county spayed for this 2nd weed and now the harbor is back to normal. You should see a big improvement in McKinley Marina over the next 2 years.
Also, since I am writting this comment in the sailboat names thread I guess I should make this pertinent to the thread. The latest name that we are considering for our boat is Lone Star (both of our children were born in Texas). I suppose this name breaks your rule of a one word name, but it really is no different than a single word two sylable name, is it?
Rob
~~~~_/)~~~~
Old 08-27-2001
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
sailboat names

LoneStar sounds great and does not violate any rule as far as I''m concerned. Maybe I''ll plan a stop at McKinley next season and look you up. If you get down to the land of FIB''s I''m in N16-24.
Old 09-05-2001

debbabcock is on a distinguished road
sailboat names

WE FINALLY HAVE A NAME!! I must say i was rather disturbed at having caused an uproar on the board. anyways---the name is going to be the Sjora Jack. Sjora being a swedish sea goddess and Jack being for my husband''s grandfather who passed away last year on his 95th birthday (rotten luck!) without him my husband and i would have never met. so there it is--the Sjora Jack.
deb
Old 09-25-2001
BonTemps

sailboat names

Thank you John Drake, I did mean google.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.