SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Splash 2015

6K views 52 replies 27 participants last post by  seaner97 
#1 ·
We're in!! Okay, I know all you southern salts don't get it, but splashing up here is like being born again. We'll spend most of April on projects, but we fully moved in this weekend. Shakedown cruise by May 1 is the goal. Nothing I like better than watching the mad Memorial Day rush, having been at anchor already for weeks.

Let's hear when you make it back!!

#6 ·
Due to the tidal schedule, our club has limited days that they can launch boats. I requested a splash for April 19, but I'm blocked in and not seeing ANY activity on the boats that are blocking me in. So may backup date is May 2, which is the next launch window. That will be the latest I've ever launched. :mad:

Thanks to weather, I am also well behind my normal prep schedule. I'm taking off work tomorrow to vacuum-sand my bottom. Hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow and be able to mask the waterline, ready for a couple coats of paint later this week.

#7 ·
Actually is a first for me, yard is ready to launch (that means sometime this week)
and I am not...but a productive day off tomorrow at the boat should make all things right.
So based on mid afternoon hi tides this week in Manhasset Bay will likely will be in for
the weekend. The snow that just melted in the shadow areas of my yard will be but a memory!

#8 ·
We were not the first in here, but close. Maybe 5th or 6th. Water isn't on the dock yet, so we can't really clean the deck too well. But plenty of other commissioning to do for now. We should have water once the temps are comfortably above freezing.

#11 ·
Hi courish
Not as bad off as you are with the snow banks, but the boat and trailer is still buried in snow and ice, it's going to be a while before it melts.
I'm up in sheet harbour on the eastern shore and hoping for a quick thaw.
Lots to do before I launch I'm hoping for mid June but no garauntee at the mo.
Anyway all the best to you and best to all who have their boats in.
Anthony

#12 ·
I'm suppose to splash Tuesday so spend the last 3 days painting the bottom etc. But near as I can tell the 3 boats between me and the lift haven't done anything yet. Watched the yard splash a Boat Friday that was over by the lift, but they had to shovel the snow to make a path for the lift first.

Doesn't really matter to me if I splash this week as it is still pretty cold this week.

#15 ·
First night aboard last night! I swear it is more comfortable than our bed at home. It's the 4" memory foam topper. (inexpensive, hand cut to size, recommend it to everyone)

Went down to 36 degs last night, but dressed for success. Kept a space heater in the stateroom. The heat pumps are working, but water temps are in the upper 40s, so they run constantly and freeze up.

Commissioning and project work lying all around, but it still feels great! Having coffee, breakfast and watching the sun rise against a cloudless sky.

Today is a good day to be alive.

#16 ·
I've got the cover off and started to get things squared away. I hope to be in by the end of the month but it might go to the first week of May.

I'm usually ready to go around April 15 but this year it seems like everything is a month behind weather-wise. Plus I'm out of the country for bit.

I might actually pay someone to sand the bottom this year if I can find anyone who likes cash and hard work. First time I've ever paid for anything except rigging, but this winter weather has got me jammed up. It did allow me to work more when I should have been working on the boat so I guess I can justify the expense.

Bottom sanding is about the only thing I really hate to do. Yes, I'd rather be in a suit and tie then a suit and respirator (and I hate wearing a tie).

#17 ·
What a frustrating spring! On the Delaware River there's basically a daytime window for splashing one week out of every two. This week was the window, and I didn't see a single boat splash at our boat club. We're blocked in by at least three other boats.

I worked my butt off the past three weekends (gorgeous weather!), but didn't see anyone on the boats that are blocking everyone in (except for one guy on "G1" shown below). The others are nowhere close to being ready, and they missed the window so it's going to be at least another week before anyone gets splashed.

Rumor is that the guys blocking us in are not members of our club, they're from another club that lost some pilings due to the ice. So they have no place to go, and they're blocking EVERYONE in. Another factor is that our club's beloved marina/boat yard manager passed away last year, and I get the feeling his replacement(s) -- there have already been two -- aren't getting on the phone and pushing people to get out of the way. I'm not sure, and I won't complain because these guys are volunteers and giving up their time to do these jobs, so I appreciate whatever they can do.

Here are some pics from two weeks ago. Not much has changed since then, except I finished painting my bottom and stepped my mast:

#38 ·
What a frustrating spring! On the Delaware River there's basically a daytime window for splashing one week out of every two. This week was the window, and I didn't see a single boat splash at our boat club. We're blocked in by at least three other boats...

Here's another quick update. My original splash date was two weeks ago, but I was blocked in. My second splash date was supposed to be tomorrow, but I am still blocked. The boat "G1" shown in the pic above is in the water, but the ugly old almost-derelict Pacemaker (expired registration sticker) shown in the middle pic above is still there and everyone is pissed. He's not returning calls from the dockmaster. He's a guest from a neighboring club, and I hope he is not invited back. My club wants to move him at his cost, but they were afraid they would not get paid. They finally got the president of the neighboring club to guarantee that their club will pay if he doesn't (of course they'll kick him out of their club if they have to do that), so they're going to move the boat soon. But they've got a huge party at the club tomorrow right at high tide, and the car traffic will block the travelift, so one more day is down the drain with no boats moved.

I used the extra time today to polish the hull and clean the topsides, and I'll wax tomorrow.

I visited my marina yesterday to see if the winter renter had vacated my slip, and he has not. Since I was there during office hours (a rare occurrence) I went in to check the status of this guy. As I feared, he is a squatter who just came in and docked his boat last December without registering at the office. He hasn't paid a penny in rent, and they don't even know who he is. The funny thing is the liveaboards all recognize the boat from last winter. Apparently the same guy did the same thing a year ago and escaped without paying. Sound like he'll disappear again soon. The marina tells me they'll move him out of my way if they have to. But they don't even have a boat, so they've got to hire someone to do it. One would think they should call the police on this guy, but I suspect the landlubber police have no idea what to do about something like this.

#19 ·
Our marina lost several pilings as well, so we've been in temporary quarters. Heading out later this afternoon and hope to be settled in our slip. Not a huge problem, but I keep screwing down and then unscrewing and stowing the stairs, hose goes on and off and back on again, etc.

Sails are bent and I'm technically sail ready. I do need to get the dinghy launched and have a few mechanical items that I really want to get done, such as descaling the motors and air conditioners, neither of which have been done since I purchased the boat.

Then, I get close to a long list I can kid myself with, rather than actually do, for the remainder of the season.

#20 ·
All this talk of ice and snow amazes me. It will be 90 deg F here on Sunday. I feel for you guys.

OTOH, our sailing season will be over in another month and a half as the summer doldrums take hold. No fun sitting on a boat with no wind and !00 degree weather.

#21 ·
I have successfully lapped the tapered plugs of my cockpit scupper* seacocks.

It's not often you get to put that many random words together and tie it all up at the end. :D

I need to do a small FG repair on my keel and then it is just wash, wax and bottom paint.

My boat is still a prisoner in the boat yard; hemmed in by other boats (some of them power boats! :eek: )

Looks like second week of May for me.

Ken

*Is it still a 'scupper' if it connects to a hose and goes out the bottom?

#22 ·
Got the boat floating a week ago today. Had a great weekend weather-wise to get the boom on, the standing rigging tuned (mast comes down in the winter), and the sails on. Just have to go sailing now. :)

Viking Kitty is the boat in the center-ish of the picture, docked stern-in. Not many boats in yet.

#23 ·
We're in!! Okay, I know all you southern salts don't get it, but splashing up here is like being born again. We'll spend most of April on projects, but we fully moved in this weekend. Shakedown cruise by May 1 is the goal. Nothing I like better than watching the mad Memorial Day rush, having been at anchor already for weeks.

Let's hear when you make it back!!
I'm really glad that your splash went better than the first THREE I tried.

Tying up a couple small projects and we expect to be out for our first overnight trip in one week. VERY excited!

MedSailor

#24 ·
Tucked aboard again tonight. 40degs outside, with a low expected of 37. Toasty in here with the space heater (only runs while we are aboard).

Touch more work tomorrow and I should be prepared for a shakedown cruise next weekend. Talked a friend into bringing their boat along. No doubt we'll have the pick of the entire area!

#28 ·
.....Touch more work tomorrow and I should be prepared for a shakedown cruise next weekend. Talked a friend into bringing their boat along. No doubt we'll have the pick of the entire area!
This is how Posiedon lets you know who's in charge.

Commissioning the dinghy was about the only thing that was a must for shakedown next weekend. Steering cable is corroded and frozen. Has a stupid center console, it came with the boat. I swear I may replace the whole dingy.

So I tried to fix a shower sump, can't find the problem. Fine, I will change the o-rings on the deck fitting for the water tanks and dropped the lanyard set screw into the tank.

Hopefully, I've done enough penance, come clean here, acknowledged that the great trident dude has the last word and today will go more smoothly.

#26 ·
Katie L launched last Saturday. She had been in the boatyard at the Forth Corinthians Yacht Club at Granton on the Firth of Forth.

We were due to launch the previous saturday but high winds forced a postponement for a week so I spent seven extra days living on the boat which was parked on a promontory stern to the prevailing winds.

I slept with bits of paper shoved in the wash bopards to stop them rattling.

There are 20 foot tides and the crane in operation is run by the club members

never seen this operation before

this is katie L with her bum in the air

few more snaps here

MOB Yacht Clubs « Keep Turning Left

and a bit of a story about the pressures on this 135 year old yacht club. The developers are coming.

D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.