Cedar VS Epoxied Marine Ply - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-01-2015 Thread Starter

Cedar VS Epoxied Marine Ply

Hi there,

Just got my first boat, the interior is slightly gutted and will soon be working on that. Been talking to some folks in my community about what my best options for doing the interior are, and it seems there are two main opinions.

One being to mill some yellow cedar and use that.

The other being to get marine plywood and epoxy it.

Thoughts?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-01-2015
me at 67!

Re: Cedar VS Epoxied Marine Ply

MORE information.. there are some highly skilled people on here just waiting to help!
type size of boat? use of said boat? Salt water or fresh? Photos are a must!
welcome to sailnet!

Denise, Bristol PA, Oday 30. On Tidal Delaware River, Anchor Yacht Club.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My last project!

My boat is sold!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-01-2015 Thread Starter

The type is a rebuild of a 25' fin keeled, glass boat that I'm not sure of the make. It's now a full keeled glass hull, with wooden cabin. Not sure what the cabin is made of.
The boat will be to live aboard on the salty west coast. I don't currently have any photos of the interior. Parts I need to re-do are the v-birth, the counter where two propane burners (or perhaps non-pressurized alcohol, haven't decided) and a sink will be going, paneling after I do insulation and the companion way door. The main source of heat will be a woodstove.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-01-2015 Thread Starter

Any more vital information that can help with my conundrum?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-01-2015

You seem unexperienced both for a boat and woodwork. Use marin ply mainly. You might need some wood for some connective parts. Plywood is easier to work with and will cover nearly all areas with a single piece.

If the cabin is not fiberglass but wood, you will probably have some water ingress from the top which is not good at all for a liveaboard.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-01-2015 Thread Starter

Well, I guess another thing to consider is that my father, a wood genius, will be teaching/helping me along the way.

My question, more directly, is in the long run, which will cause less issues?
post #7 of 9 Old 05-01-2015
Seņor Member

Cat,

I'm sure your Dad will be a huge help to you as you move forward -- watch and listen to him closely.

Just like in a home, plywood and dimensioned lumber both have their places. Because it is more dimensionally stable, you'll typically find plywood used for bulkheads, cabinet carcasses, and large flat surfaces. Most times the visible side of the plywood is covered with a very thin hardwood veneer; sometimes the hardwood is not that thin. Sometimes the plywood is simply painted.

Dimensioned lumber is used for structural cross members and finish carpentry.

Yellow cedar would seem to be decent choice for interior projects. It's certainly a lot lighter in color than you typically find in boats -- which can be a good thing. Sometimes teak (and other darker hardwood) interiors seem a little "cave like" if there's not a lot of natural light below.

________
'85 BYB Vagabond 39
post #8 of 9 Old 05-03-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

Do not underestimate the complexity of the job you are tackling.

Remember almost nothing is square or straight. Panels will often have beveled edges with changing angles.

Refinishing boat interiors is regarded as a VERY skilled job.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-03-2015
Less Senior Senior Member

If it's already gutted, sounds like the horse is out of the barn. You can use pretty much whatever you want to woodwise. Many people will swear by west systems penetrating epoxy as a first finishing coat to minimize wood movement. If the boat is in the water year round, the wood will move less than, say a house next to a stream in Vermont or Maine as the relative humidity will stay more constant. And if you finish it well and be sure to plug all your deck leaks first (ideal time is now when the interior is gutted anyway) you can pretty much use whatever you would like.

Tags
cedar , epoxy , interior

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.