US Approves Ferry Service to Cuba - SailNet Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

US Approves Ferry Service to Cuba

There's been a lot of discussion about US sailors interested in sailing across to Cuba.

This is a pretty definitive sign that regulations are thawing when it comes to tourism. Talk on Florida Keys radio this morning was on rumors that current travel restrictions may soon be eased or lifted and that the Cuban government has made it clear they are interested in making travel easier.

Stay tuned...

Ferry service to Cuba may return to the Florida Straits

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of Old 3 Weeks Ago
Old enough to know better

Re: US Approves Ferry Service to Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
There's been a lot of discussion about US sailors interested in sailing across to Cuba.

This is a pretty definitive sign that regulations are thawing when it comes to tourism. Talk on Florida Keys radio this morning was on rumors that current travel restrictions may soon be eased or lifted and that the Cuban government has made it clear they are interested in making travel easier.

Stay tuned...

Ferry service to Cuba may return to the Florida Straits

Jet Blue is going to offer flights as well according to the news this morning.
post #3 of Old 3 Weeks Ago

I've been on a waiting list for the return of the old Fla.-Yucatan ferry for several years with no sight of re-scheduling... And when I hear there's been an approval of a ferry to Cuba that literally popped up over night.... Hmmmmm....???
post #4 of Old 3 Weeks Ago

It's a confusing development. I'm not hearing any change in the rules over who is actually allowed to travel to Cuba and the restriction on them spending money there. That is what will really need to change, to open up the country to cruisers. It does look like it's heading that way.

On the other hand, Cuba has never restricted access to US citizens. They do, however, have significant restrictions on the mobility of all tourists within their country and I don't expect that to change at all. IIRC you have to notify the Cuban government, every time you lift the anchor and move.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #5 of Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
It's a confusing development. I'm not hearing any change in the rules over who is actually allowed to travel to Cuba and the restriction on them spending money there. That is what will really need to change, to open up the country to cruisers. It does look like it's heading that way.

On the other hand, Cuba has never restricted access to US citizens. They do, however, have significant restrictions on the mobility of all tourists within their country and I don't expect that to change at all. IIRC you have to notify the Cuban government, every time you lift the anchor and move.
Exactly. Regardless of how the rules change, it looks like Cuba will still be a totalitarian dictatorship for now. That's probably going to change when Raul and Fidel are dead, and not one second before, regardless of what any other country does or doesn't do.

But, I've been a Cuba a few times (to Gitmo, on business, but you can see how pretty the water is even from there) (and my brother travels to the other side quite frequently on humanitarian missions) and I, too, look forward to the day when Cuba becomes free and a tourist destination. But, I'm not holding my breath. The Castros cant' look at the new overtures from the US as anything but confirmation that they have won this particular cold war. I don't know what their incentive to grant more freedom to the Cuban people would be at this point.

But, if you can put that part of Cuba out of your mind, you can have a good time there. My brother has received permission to go to non-tourist areas on his trips, and he comes back with reports of poverty that are hard to fathom (not even electricity or running water in some of the homes). And, since the US is really the only country not trading with Cuba at present, you know that there is a much deeper problem going on there, than the US embargo.
mbianka and redduke like this.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Last edited by Group9; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:30 AM.
post #6 of Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Right. It's a good sign, but all by itself it changes nothing. There have been regularly scheduled airline flights between the U.S. and Cuba for quite some time. So this just adds a slower, less expensive (maybe, no one knows what the prices will be yet), but more scenic way to get there--if you have the permission to go.

In any case, while it changes almost nothing in any practical sense, it is still a good sign and a move in the right direction.
post #7 of Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Leonard Moecklin Sr., Havana Ferry Partner’s managing partner, told the Sun Sentinel that the company hoped to charge around $300 to $350 round trip
You can purchase a week long all inclusive vacation from Canada for not much more than that.
post #8 of Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:

There's a lot of talk on the ground in the Keys that both of these sets of restrictions will be eased in the not too distant future.

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #9 of Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
My brother has received permission to go to non-tourist areas on his trips, and he comes back with reports of poverty that are hard to fathom (not even electricity or running water in some of the homes). And, since the US is really the only country not trading with Cuba at present, you know that there is a much deeper problem going on there, than the US embargo.
Suffice it to say I've seen poverty in my travels. Cuba is not the only country with poor people who lack what we would call basic necessities. If you look you can find poverty in the US.

The reality for those who wish to visit Cuba is that it will become much easier as it appears the Obama administration is moving in that direction.

Please take conversations as to whether that is right or wrong to one of the many Cuba threads in off-topic. lets keep this one focused on the evolving mechanics of going for those who have an interest

Last edited by JimMcGee; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:02 PM.
post #10 of Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Suffice it to say I've seen poverty in my travels. Cuba is not the only country with poor people who lack what we would call basic necessities. If you look you can find poverty in the US.

The reality for those who wish to visit Cuba is that it will become much easier as it appears the Obama administration is moving in that direction.

Please take conversations as to whether that is right or wrong to one of the many Cuba threads in off-topic. lets keep this one focused on the evolving mechanics of going for those who have an interest
Sorry. Wasn't trying to steal the sunshine of those who want to go. It is a cheap destination, I will give it that.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.