SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Found This Bristol for Sale - Thoughts for New Sailors?

7K views 71 replies 25 participants last post by  seaner97 
#1 ·
Hi,
Just to reassure, we are not going to go sail from NY to Bermuda anytime soon. We are really looking for a floating hotel for a day or two at a time in the summers in VT for the next few years, and take baby steps sailing it. I just bought an old Pintail to learn more on, and my husband and I also sail the Solings at our sailing club. We are learning.

Had our eyes on the Tartan and Ericson from last year, but this boat is a LOT less expensive and has a diesel, which the Ericson doesn't have. The Tartan was kind of aged looking, but seemed serviceable.

Here's the Bristol:

1969 Bristol 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The owner wants it sold ASAP. It is in his yard right now. I would be happy to hear any thoughts about this. Thanks!!
Nancy

Edited to say: I want as solid and seaworthy a boat we can get in our budget, even if we never go out to sea. I am NOT a risk taker with physical stuff. EX: I like Volvos. :)

See less See more
#7 ·
Hi Donna,
Yes, the Tartan "looked" older - the paint on the hull was duller, the interior was more dated looking. Looks like it hadn't gotten any TLC in a while. I know that in our very limited budget, we aren't getting the 2009 Beneateau that friends of our's have, but I like that this seems like someone has cared for this boat.

#6 ·
What is the condition of the:
sails
ground tackle
bottom
thru hulls
keel bolts (may be an encapsulated keel)
bilge pumps
running and standing rigging
rudder and support mechanisms
mast, spreaders and sheaves
electronics, electrical wiring, batteries.
Its in his yard? Do you pay to move it or him? Can you get insurance on this old of a boat?

Reactions: Nancyleeny
#9 ·
While the starting price of this boat may be low, if you have to replace a number of items to be safe and sailable she just might cost you more than you have budgeted.

#11 ·
+1 with Captainmeme.

Also, the insurance may potentially take it over budget. I know there are companies that specialize in older boats but there's a reason most companies won't insure them.

#12 ·
I didn't know that insurance companies won't insure older boats. Is there generally a cut-off year?? Every boat we looked at was older than 1975. And do you HAVE to have insurance on an older boat, the way you have to have liability on your car insurance??? Sorry for the questions, I've just made some assumptions, obviously.

#13 ·
I think it looks nice. I noticed this listing, but it is just out of my range distance wise. I do wonder how old the photos are. But if they are recent then it might be a very good boat. Simple, and not a lot to go wrong! How will you get it home? cruse down the sound and up the Hudson, if so let me know and we can meet up in Beacon. I know a nice bar within walking distance of the river by the anchorage in front of Beacon Sloop Club!

#16 ·
As the owner of a 1968 Pearson 35, the Alden Bristol was very similar. Solid boat, hull will last forever. Won't decline in value much from where it is. The engine better be solid as a repower will run about what the asking price of the boat is (but still may be worth it). Looks reasonably well found and maintained. IMO, these good old boats are better than any of the 200K new ones, and were built to a standard that isn't seen in modern production boats, but you've got to be willing to do the work to maintain them, and you really need to be willing to see it as an investment in time that will never return the money sunk into it (neither will those shiny new ones, and you'll sink way more).

#17 ·
As far as insurance, BoatUS won't insure older boats, but mine has been insured via Progressive and Liberty Mutual without issue, and at a very reasonable cost. Had a claim with Liberty that was handled well and easily, and they seem to know about boats when it came time to use them.

#18 ·
That's good to hear about Liberty Mutual. It sounds like they've changed. When we purchased our current boat my LM agent (they insure our house and cars) told me not to use them as they don't insure boats regularly and they'd be more expensive than other companies that do.

#32 ·
As far as insurance goes, I would say it's highly individual. I suspect it depends on a number of factors including the boat and the person looking to insure it.

I've read repeatedly on various threads that BoatUS wouldn't insure an older boat, or would require a survey, but we have a 1975 Bristol 24 that BoatUS insured with no survey. Was it because it was a smaller boat? Because we had taken ASA 101? Because of where we live? Because we are DINKS? Because we were only valuing it at what we paid for it? Who knows?

My suggestion would be that if you have a boat that you're interested in, call the insurance companies you're interested in and ask them if they'll provide coverage on it. Don't assume that because someone didn't get coverage that you wouldn't either.

Good luck!

#33 ·
I think some folks make too much of a boat's "age." IMHO, condition is primary and it has little to do with age.

Think about it. You live in a part of the county where there are lots of 200 year old houses. Nothing wrong with them, IF they've been maintained and improved over time. If instead they are still wired with 30 amp service and have knob and tube wiring, then that's a different (expensive) story. But a well maintained old home can be far better than a newer home built with crummy studs, minimally sized framing, and wired with aluminum. A newer home will be laid out differently, so if you want "open concept" and lots of closets, you won't be happy in an older home.

What's this rant got to do with boats? Quite a bit. An older, well maintained boat may be in far better condition than a much newer one that's been minimally maintained or neglected. The older boat, however, will have less room for the same LOA as a newer, beamier boat. But to my eye, the older boat has more character.

I'd suggest getting as much information and as many CURRENT photos as you can before you make a 5 hour trip. And have a good survey done. If it is in good shape, or can be put into good shape and still stay under budget, then go for it. As far as the Tartan goes, I'd be concerned if that maxed out your budget. I think there is always something that will need to fixed in the first year or two. You need to have a cushion for that.

#34 · (Edited)
That's a very close relative of the A35 we talked about last week (or so). The potential major issues would be exactly the same. I'd want to know more about the condition of the engine (hours and if it's sat unused for a long time), the deck core, when/if rigging was replaced, sails. Even if it has older, useable sails which are a bit tired, hey, you're not racing and don't need race performance. With the old hull designs, you're usually going to be the slowest (and safest) boat anyway:) The newer boats go much faster because they're light as a feather, and equally as fragile, and there's not much water holding them back.... or upright. Only kidding....kinda. Oh, and their rudders and keels tend to fall off unexpectedly.

The potential "hobby horse" handling comment is a lot of nonsense. I've heard it before and somehow people like to repeat things they hear. You would go a long way to find a safer, more sea-kindly hull type for any amount of money. Looks like a nice boat. I'll probably be over in that area to take a power boat to LI in the next couple of weeks.

Oh and insurance, I have been quoted by Boat US, so they DO take older boats, even for hull insurance. I use Progressive. They insure me even 500 miles offshore for a few extra bucks. Now we'll hear how they are n/g from others who pay too much.

#36 · (Edited)
There are a great many old 30 ft boats for sale and relatively few buyers. It is a HUGE buyers market.

The Tartan is very overpriced IMHO worth about half.

I like the looks of the Bristol based on the pics. But as others have said they could be old and you might be faced with peeling varnish and mold everywhere. There is a fair bit of exposed wood to encourage annual varnishing which can become a chore.

As you talk about using the boat as weekend condo here is a piece of advice I give frequently to people thinking about buying something around 30 ft.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU AT LEAST LOOK INSIDE A CATALINA 30.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1977/Catalina-30-2828010/Stony-Point/NY/United-States#.VU0Y8vlViko

N.B. Overpriced as it has the less desirable gas engine. A n old 30 ft boat with a good diesel will be much easier to resell.

They have much more space and a better layout than older boats with pinched ends like the Bristol. Not quite as pretty when you are rowing away from it though.

They also have a very active owners group and if you have a problem you can usually find the fix there. Also spares are available off the shelf. Which will not be the case with most other 30 -40 year old boats.

#38 · (Edited)
As you talk about using the boat as weekend condo here is a piece of advice I give frequently to people thinking about buying something around 30 ft.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING UNTIL YOU AT LEAST LOOK INSIDE A CATALINA 30.
Nancy, for the kind of sailing you described the Catalina 30 isn't a bad choice. I know you've been looking a while but I'm not sure if you've looked at them. A quick YachtWorld search turned up 32 in the Northeast in your price range. Here's a nice well maintained example.

We use ours as a weekend liveaboard three seasons, day sailing and overnighting with her. She's been a great boat for us - but that doesn't mean she's the perfect boat for you. You need to get aboard as many boats as you can. One of those boats will "feel right".

As for condition if your son is an electrician and your SO is a capable woodworker you should be able to cover most things on a boat. People who "know how to fix things" can usually pick up a manual and figure things out. The important thing is they're wired to do it right rather than slap it together.

A solid engine and firm decks are must haves - they cost a lot of money to fix.

Used sails can be had for a fraction of new from places like Bacon's in Annapolis.

If you can find a boat that's been well cared for. If the owner kept up with maintenance it will save you a lot of headaches in the long run.

Best of luck
Jim

#37 ·
Let's play the what will they sell for game. The Tartan will go for around 15. The Ericson 17. The C&C 16-17 (maybe 19 because of the dink and OB). The Bristol can probably be had for 9-9500. I'd wager that the Bristol will still be the best deal, but I bet the C&C or the Ericson has the most "condo room". They are all good boats for the prices I've put in above. Used boat market blows, so unless the owners don't want to sell, you should zero in on what you like and put in appropriate offers and figure all of them will need at least 10k over the next 2 seasons to get them where you want them. And, yes, DC wiring can be done by a non marine electrician. Just be sure they use marine grade material

#40 ·
Hey,

By the time you get the bristol to your lake, you'd be better off with any of the other boats. No offense, but it would take a LONG time to sail the boat there, and shipping costs, including taking the rig down and putting it back up, will be VERY expensive.

The three local boats you found all look like good candidates, but all are overpriced (IMHO). I spend a few years crewing on a C&C 34, they sail very well and have a decent amount of room below. Personally I like that boat the best. I would look them all over carefully, including engine operation, then start making low offers. The first owner to accept gets the deal. Don't be afraid of offending people, make a low offer (assuming you like the boat) and let the broker and owner cry.

Barry

#42 · (Edited)
Mast up and down at Castleton Boat Club using their DIY gin pole (a really nice one) for 50 bucks. Have made the run from New England, up the Hudson to Champlain many times. It takes some planning but nothing terribly difficult if timed correctly with the currents on the Hudson and East River. It's not something to be overly concerned with. It'll take about 10-12 days on the water to get from Mass. to Champlain.

#45 ·
I was at jewelry class, and just got home, and wow!! So much kind help and excellent information. Thank you. The Catalina IS roomy!! I'll see if there is one in our area, and get on it, to see what it is like. And I did think the Tartan was overpriced, although it felt like a good, sturdy boat to me. I want sturdy.

We may try to get on the three VT boats this weekend, the Tartan and Ericson for the second time. I have a better idea of what to look for and what to ask now, thanks to you all!
nancy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.