Best way to make fenders easy to use... - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 05-15-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Best way to make fenders easy to use...

I am likely going to be doing more and more singlhanding or pesudo-singlehanding with the family aboard. Currently I tie off my fenders with a rolling hitch or 2 round turns and 2 half hitches. Ideally, I'd like them to be very quick to deploy or switch sides.

There are innumerable fender hanger-adjuster-widgets out there, which I take as a bad sign that none of them work very well. What have you found works best?

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-15-2015

Re: Best way to make fenders easy to use...

We use a plastic hook from a bungee tied to the end . I simply hook it in through a slot in the toe rail from the outside with the hook pointing up. The more weight, the tighter it gets. Haven't lost one in 6 years.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-15-2015
Old enough to know better

I agree that it seems to be the modern day mouse trap. Lots of "improvements" but none really look like they would work except in certain circumstances. What kind of toe rail do you have? I really hate seeing them hanging on the life lines, because if they get pulled it can bend the stanchions.
jephotog likes this.
post #4 of 25 Old 05-15-2015 Thread Starter
Closet Powerboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I agree that it seems to be the modern day mouse trap. Lots of "improvements" but none really look like they would work except in certain circumstances. What kind of toe rail do you have? I really hate seeing them hanging on the life lines, because if they get pulled it can bend the stanchions.
Right, sorry, didn't tell you what I'm working with. Also I don't have a good cockpit picture, but I'll try and describe it.

In the cockpit I have a teak handrail at the top of 1" SS stanchions, with wire running through the middle of the stanchions. Lee cloths in the cockpit. Forward of the cockpit it is standard 2 wire stanchions. I also have a holy toe rail all the way around the boat, including the cockpit.

I don't like the idea of clipping them to the top lifelines either but.... I also HATE seeing lubberly folks leaning waaay over the lifelines in order to affix them to the holy rail. I would also like to avoid leaning over the lifelines myself.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-16-2015
Crealock 37

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
What have you found works best?

MedSailor
Round turn and half-hitches 😃

I tie to lifeline since I don't have a toe rail, and just outside the harbor is busy with a bit of lumpy seas normally, better things to do than futz with fenders. Once at the dock I retire them to stanchions.

Dale

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312

post #6 of 25 Old 05-16-2015

I tie them to my holley rail with a turn and a slipped half hitch. When underway, I put them on my side decks, still tied to the rail. I generally don't have much need to go forward when under way but when I do, I prefer to go forward via the cabintop rather than the side decks. When it's time to dock, I just kick the fenders overboard.
post #7 of 25 Old 05-16-2015

clove hitch is fast to tie and easy to adjust
pdqaltair and capta like this.
post #8 of 25 Old 05-16-2015

Hanging fenders is like weight loss. All sorts of gimmicks, but we all know what really works.

I tie a round turn and two half hitches around the base of the stanchion. Not enough leverage to bend anything.

In a pinch, such as a transient dock, where I may need to move them around quickly, a clove hitch to the top lifeline suffices. Maybe pull a slip knot around the working line too. Once landed, I go around and secure properly to the stanchion bases.

There are millions to be made for inventing a better solution, but I haven't seen one I trust yet.
MedSailor likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #9 of 25 Old 05-16-2015

I NEVER tie to the lifelines. Never even considered doing that. I have a midships chock and cleat so that's a no-brainer. Others get tied to the base of stanchions with a clove hitch.
post #10 of 25 Old 05-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
I really hate seeing them hanging on the life lines, because if they get pulled it can bend the stanchions.
For that reason, I always remove the fenders before leaving the slip, and don't replace them until the boat is back in it's slip. Fenders aren't there to soften the blow if you bump a piling on the way into or out of a slip. That's what rub rails are for. After the boat is in the slip, you put a fender between your boat and your neighbor's boat, to protect them if they bump together, and you put a fender in a place, often amidships, where it might bump against a finger pier. If fenders are hanging on the boat while entering or leaving the slip, they are often crushed between the boat and piling, which risks bending a stanchion, and ruining what might otherwise be a good docking maneuver. I remove and stow all fenders before the boat moves. When used that way, I have never seen fenders hanging from a lifeline bend a stanchion, but I usually tie them to the lower lifeline.

Last edited by Sailormon6; 05-16-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.