Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paul323

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 1 Week Ago

Bruce3966 is on a distinguished road
Sealant, sealant, sealant

Still learning guys so here goes. I went throughout the entire boat today and tightened all screws, bolts etc. I ran into a few things that I think I should add sealant to but not sure what to use. I have an O'Day 26' with the plexiglass windows and teak grab rails. As the photos show, the teak grab rails at the base should probably have sealant added (I do not have time for this project with the other major projects I am doing and tryiing to launch). The other item is the plexiglass windows. Should probably be more sealant on these. I will redo both these items next spring before launch.

Bonus question....PO put in a bluetooth stereo with speakers in the cockpit and cabin however, when he sawed through for one cockpit speaker, he sawed through the depth gage wires and tranducer cable. I will be fixing those but just wondering if anybody knows where one can get covers that look descent to cover the speaker backs in the cockpit like the depth gage had (in photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Sealant, sealant, sealant-4.jpg   Sealant, sealant, sealant-6.jpg   Sealant, sealant, sealant-11.jpg  

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 1 Week Ago

paul323 is on a distinguished road
Re: Sealant, sealant, sealant

Butyl Tape.

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware With Bed-It Butyl Tape Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

You'll never look back.
Captainmeme likes this.
Old 1 Week Ago

Yup I hear ya and just purchased 45 feet of white butyl tape. I'll try to get this done before launch and if not do it at the slip after launch. I just LOVE putzin on the boat at the slip (if its not raining!).

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
Old 1 Week Ago

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
I went throughout the entire boat today and tightened all screws, bolts etc. I ran into a few things that I think I should add sealant to but not sure what to use. I have an O'Day 26' with the plexiglass windows and teak grab rails. As the photos show, the teak grab rails at the base should probably have sealant added (I do not have time for this project with the other major projects I am doing and tryiing to launch). The other item is the plexiglass windows. Should probably be more sealant on these. I will redo both these items next spring before launch.
Don't confuse tightening screws and bolts with preventing leaks. Tightening without properly sealing them may lead to more leak problems. Adding sealant at the base of the handrails in your pic again will not prevent leaks, although it will temporarily cover the open seam. Sealant should be installed between the fitting and the mounting surface, not around it. The PO has simply applied more material, similar to what a home siding installer does to cover the meeting of two pieces of material. Making time to remove parts, removing old sealant, clean up the mounting surface on the deck and the fitting, checking for and correcting any core damage, then applying new sealant such as butyl is the correct remedy and process for preventative maintenance.

Last edited by rugosa; 1 Week Ago at 10:53 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about

If you can get by a HVAC supply house, see if they carry perma-gum or some premium elastic sealant compound. Basically it's a 2lb loaf of butyl for around 15-25 bucks depending on which one you get, I use the Virgina PESC, the sh*t's fantastic for bedding port lites , hatches and hardware.

On the 8th day God created sailors and evil stood at attention
Old 1 Week Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road

Adding any sealant after an item is installed is pointless, as I'm sure you know. Once you have the items you want to rebed off and the surfaces cleaned, you really can not do any better than a product actually designed a hundred years ago or so, specifically for bedding hardware on boats. It is very easy to use, cleans up with turps and is pretty inexpensive.
It is called "bedding compound" and is made by several manufacturers such as Dolphinite and Interlux.
Attached Thumbnails
Sealant, sealant, sealant-bedding-cmpd-775x1024-.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 1 Week Ago

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road

All wonderful ideas for a guy that is planning to remove the hardware and re-bed everything. I've used each of them. But I think he is looking to cut out the bad, squeeze in what he can, and go sailing, and I bet he wants to do it on a budget. If I'm right...

Locktite PL S40 at Home Depot is a $6/12 oz tube polyurethane that compares very favorably with 3M 4200 and would do very nicely. I've used this in above waterline marine applications for 10 years.

Butyl and bedding won't work unless you are going to remove everything and re-bolt. And while polyurethane is not the best choice for plexi installation, it is the best for the damage I see.

----

And yes, the hardware should all come off this Fall. It seems obvious that someone else sealed from the outside, and it is clear it did not last.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Last edited by pdqaltair; 1 Week Ago at 04:27 PM.
Old 1 Week Ago

Siamese is on a distinguished road

The whole idea is to prevent leaks. And wouldn't it be great if all a leak did was let water in the cabin, where it would eventually find its way to the bilge to be pumped out?

Based on what you're finding wrong with your O'day (like the seacocks), I'm going to assume you didn't bother with a survey. One of the things that a survey may have discovered is whether you have water intrusion into the balsa core of your decks. Everyplace a bolt penetrates the deck is a place where water will eventually enter, and begin to saturate the balsa core, causing the core to delaminate from the fiberglass skin, and/or rotting the laminate causing your deck to go mushy underfoot.

If it were my boat, my priorities would be dealing with the seacocks and finding out whether there is any water intrusion in the deck core. Finding out whether there is intrusion in the deck core is best done before purchase. The condition of your sealant indicates inspection and remediation are needed soon.

Last edited by Siamese; 1 Week Ago at 12:08 AM.
Old 6 Days Ago

Thanks all. I did not get a survey however, I felt literally no soft spots at all on deck and brought tons of tools to check everything when I looked over the boat twice. I knew when buying it I would immediatley dump another minimum 2000-3000 into it which is fine. I was just hoping to replace the major items or should I say all items below water and the hull so once I launched and it sat in my slip, I could putz on everything in the inside. The items inside I am doing right now is changing all thru-hulls with a flange adaptor and ballcock and plugging the dump valve since I will NEVER use it. Replacing the head itself and all the lines. Pulling out the chainplates and securing those and rebedding the deck plates for those. Replacing the entire rub rail after scrapping out the old sealant between the hull pieces and applying 4200 there and redrilling the rub rail screw holes. Had D&R make me new acrylic tinted hatch boards and making a mast raising system. Bought a Makita 9227C and pads and have the hull to buff and polish yet. Then I am replacing the outboard motor mount to one that actually will let me pull the motor up. I was hoping to pull the grab rails and anything else on deck at the slip and re-bed those there....hence my original question.

After that I was hoping to launch and then work on the inside wiring and a bunch of small stuff. It might just be that I don't launch this year and work on the boat the entire summer until I have every little thing done and launch next year.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.