looking for help on where to set my jib block - SailNet Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 05-16-2015 Thread Starter

looking for help on where to set my jib block

Hi, bought this Tartan 30 a few years back. This will be my third season with it(im in MI so its seasonal). The past owner was using his 100/110 jib and I switched to the 155 but have so far just left the block where it was set. Being new to sailing I am not sure exactly what I am looking for as far as where to set it. Any help on the issue will be muchly appreciated.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-16-2015
pete

The best place to start is so that the angle of pull pulls both the leach and foot tight , then you trim as you need
post #3 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Re: looking for help on where to set my jib block

While it depends on the relative heights of the clew, the block will probably need to be moved back. First look at the angle the sheet makes with the leech and foot of the sail. If you extend the sheet it should about split the difference and not look like its pulling in either the direction of the leech or foot but towards the middle. Then when under sail and sheeted in, slowly let out the sheet and note when the telltales start to "break". If the block is properly set, the ones at the top and bottom of the luff will break together. If they don't, move the block and try again.
post #4 of 24 Old 05-16-2015 Thread Starter

two great replies. That will work, thanks.
post #5 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Neither of those responses will get you all that close to the optimal lead position. Most sails have at least two pairs of telltales on the luff of the sail, one roughly a 1/4 way up from the foot and the other roughly a 1/4 way down from the head, with both located roughly 18 inches aft of the luff on a boat like yours. (If you don't have them you should add them.) To check the proper lead (sheet angle) you should adjust the sail for a beat, and slowly turn up towards the wind watching both the upper and lower telesales. The windward telltale on both the top and bottom telltale should break (stops flowing aft) at the same time. If the top telltale breaks first you need to move the block forward. If the lower telltale breaks first the lead needs to be moved aft. The optimal adjustment has the upper and lower telltale breaking at the same time. This position will vary with wind strength and gradient wind conditions (variations in wind speed and direction with height above the water).

Jeff
RichH likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 05-17-2015 at 11:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
RichH (05-16-2015)
post #6 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Excellent post by JeffH .... as per usual.

Here's a very precise (detailed) means of accurately setting the fairlead (jib block) position that requires correctly setting/trimming the MAINSAIL first before setting the jib fairlead (jib block) position:
http://www.ftp.tognews.com/Publicati...n_the_Wind.pdf ..... see page #2, starting with: "However, I have a different approach that I believe is a bit more precise" ........

Here's the index of Arvel Gentry articles relating to setting up/ trimming, etc. a boat's sails via the use of tell tales and steering tell tales .... see article in sequence 08 - 09 - 10 - 11 Index of /Publications/Arvel Gentry Articles. This is from an 'orphan' FTP site, so I dont know how long it will remain active.

FWIW - here's another orphan website site of Arvel Gentry articles: http://arvelgentry.jimdo.com/articles/

Last edited by RichH; 05-16-2015 at 11:18 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichH For This Useful Post:
sailak (05-16-2015)
post #7 of 24 Old 05-16-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Yes, having the mainsail up is essential to the shape of the jib/genoa. For example, I have a working jib with a small roach that will luff unless the main is up. I've found that if only the jib is up, it doesn't matter what the sheet angle. It will luff and the telltails will not straighten out. I've also noticed this in other boats running under jib-only.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Hook up a barber hauler and adjust until it sails right. Then if you want a cleat install one.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.
post #9 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

I don't think that you can use a barber-hauler (or an in-hauler) on a Tartan 30. I could be wrong on this but my recollection is that the foot of the sail just touches the shrouds, and the leech is only a 2-3" off the spreader at the point that the 150% genoa is trimmed properly, and that the clew is only a few inches inboard of the lifelines at that point. In-hauling would hook the foot and open the leech, and barber-hauling would put the sail against the lifelines, neither seems very desirable.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay
post #10 of 24 Old 05-16-2015

Never having sailed I listen to Jeff with great attention. I was thinking of a barber hauler as a cheap substiture for a jib track. I read and am beginning to understand the way sailors rig sheets and lines.

Zen is a matter of recognizing reality.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.