Slip/mooring reservation app - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-20-2015 Thread Starter

Slip/mooring reservation app

Has anyone else been receiving the solicitations for Dockwa? It's apparently going allow making slip and mooring reservations from your smartphone. If it works as well as apps like Open Table for restaurant reservations, I think it will be terrific. There are many times that no one answers the marina phone, or I'm in wind noise and can't easily make a call (on either a phone or vhf).

The name is pretty poor. What the heck does Dockwa mean?

I signed up for notification, when it's released. Although, I think its already past it's initial target date. I hear it will be released at the Figawi race event this weekend.

No affiliation here.

One-tap dock & mooring reservations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-20-2015

Re: Slip/mooring reservation app

News to me but thanks . . I'll follow too . . . sounds great . .
post #3 of 14 Old 05-21-2015

The sailmaker who did some repairs to my dodger and made a new wheelcover for me gave we a card for an app (Apple and Android) called "Slipfinder". Sounds like its very similar. Go to www.slipfinder.com for info.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-21-2015
Sailboat Reboot

Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44

Actually there are a lot of apps that do this. Try marina.com. Also google it.

CAPT Roger J. Jones USN (ret.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sailboat Reboot

411 Walnut Street, #9700, Green Cove Springs, FL 32043-3443

Reboot's Agent's Email:

Web Site:

Blogging:

Twitter @Sailboat_Reboot
post #5 of 14 Old 05-25-2015

These new apps are very odd. They get a lot of marinas to sign up because they don't cost the marina anything. What happens is that you book a reservation on the app and you get charged MORE than the normal dockage fee. So if a slip would normally cost $1.50 per foot from the marina, the app charges you more like $1.75. They pocket the $0.25/foot and the marina gets the same fee.

So marinas sign up - why not? But why would I want to make a reservation where it costs more? Then you get to the marina and they have no idea you were coming because they missed the back end notification. Or what happens if the weather changes and you decide to skip the marina? The app has already got your slip payment and I have a feeling that doesn't work out well for us.

I think it's a dumb idea.
svzephyr44 likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-25-2015 Thread Starter

I will have to check out the pricing. I suppose I would be willing to pay a premium occasionally, if wind/weather/answering machines were tough, but probably not religiously. A few taps rather than dealing with finding the right person to take a reservation is much easier. But, I dont pay more to make restaurant reservations.

On the other hand, it seems unfair to suggest they will lose your reservation, when the system just opened two days ago. You can't know that yet.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-25-2015 Thread Starter

Confirmed the up charging. I randomly selected the Edgartown moorings, which it properly lists at $40. However, when you request a reservation, your bill changes to $42.

I suppose it could be sales tax, but it didn't seem so.

Edit: upon even closer inspection, it is clearly a dockwa service fee.

Jeanneau 54DS

Last edited by Minnewaska; 05-25-2015 at 08:28 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 05-25-2015

It's not that the app will lose your reservation. It's just that there's no "Saber" like there is with hotels and airline tickets. There's nothing to connect the apps taking of your slip reservation directly into the management system of the marina. MarinaLife faxes the request to the marina (really - they use fax). There's no way to automatically insert the reservation into the system. So while the app fumbles around in getting the marina the fact that you just made a reservation, they've handled 2 phone calls taking the slip away that you hoped to get.

And for all this, you get to pay extra?

Pfft...if you've got connectivity for the app to work, you've got connectivity to make the call and guarantee the reservation in a way they're used to getting them.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-26-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailserenade View Post
It's not that the app will lose your reservation. It's just that there's no "Saber" like there is with hotels and airline tickets. There's nothing to connect the apps taking of your slip reservation directly into the management system of the marina. MarinaLife faxes the request to the marina (really - they use fax). There's no way to automatically insert the reservation into the system. So while the app fumbles around in getting the marina the fact that you just made a reservation, they've handled 2 phone calls taking the slip away that you hoped to get.

And for all this, you get to pay extra?

Pfft...if you've got connectivity for the app to work, you've got connectivity to make the call and guarantee the reservation in a way they're used to getting them.
I get your point, but you reference a different system. Do you know this one works the same? Edgartown moorings has an online system that is integrated with availability, it isnt a simple request system. Although, you are warned that reservations are not final until you receive your receipt in the mail. You actually can't call them for a reservation.

I disagree about your connectivity point. I make Open Table reservations all the time, because I can't make a phone call. They are either not open, not answering, or taking wind and sea into the cockpit us not a good time to try to hear a phone.

Still, I'm not so sureim willing to pay the surcharge very often.

Jeanneau 54DS

post #10 of 14 Old 05-26-2015
Over Hill Sailing Club

Having seen a lot of marina operations, I'd be very doubtful that a reservation had actually been made. Marinas are usually small, operations, staffed by just a few people who may or may not be keeping tabs on what comes in on a computer. I think it's probably better to call and speak to an actual person unless the marina is a big enough operation to have someone "at the switch" 100% of the time. I suppose if you are making reservations weeks in advance and have time to confirm that this may work.

Alberg 35: With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship.

Last edited by smurphny; 05-26-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.