SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Help with anchoring for storms.

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Brent Swain 
#1 ·
I would like some help with how to anchor for a storm. I plan to do some sailing from Ft Myers Florida to the Keys next 2 to 3 month. I like to just find good places to stay on hook for days to weeks if need be. I hope to find mostly places protected some but may not always be best. I would like some:) help on how and what type to use in them gunk hole type places. I have a catalina 25 with 4 foot draw and the lower mast size. I have two on boat now but not sure if work in storms. I have 2 danforth for boat now with @ 8 foot chain and good rode on each. If anyone that knows what to have and weight and how to anchor best please share with me. I have searched the sailnet much but I am not best at wording my searches I guess.

#2 ·
I'm not sure a Danforth is the best choice. They do hold fine with some bottoms, but they are not known for their ability to reset. The problem with many storms is that the wind direction can change drastically. Personally, I use all chain, but probably not necessary most of the time. If I have room, and know it's going to get nasty, I'll use 10:1 scope. How much rode do you have?

Good ground tackle is your best friend when it turns nasty.....and it will where you are going.

There are so many great anchorages available to you on the west coast. I'll post some ideas when I have more time.

Ralph

#3 ·
I am ready and able to do what is best. I want to save me and my Catalina if possable. I am 58 and not best shape but do thing slow and try to be ready. If you can tell me best thing going do best for me and my boat i will do so. If I need all chain so be it. And please help with best info you have. Thanks so much to all who can help.

#4 ·
Here are a couple of useful links about anchoring:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/good-old-boat/33209-have-hold-anchoring.html

The Frugal Mariner: How to set anchor to keep from dragging

You should also consider getting a different type of anchor also. The Danforth types do well in some circumstances and not others, so if you have two danforths you could be in trouble if you're in a spot that isn't ideal for that type of anchor. This link has info on some of those anchor types:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/71111-anchor-talk-old-vs-new-generation.html

#5 ·
Your Danforth is good for times when you can keep an eye on it, like for a lunch hook, but as noted above, they do not reset well mostly because they are not very heavy and will just skip over the bottom once full of mud and broken free. Mass is your friend, along with a "next generation" type anchor as a first choice or an older Bruce or CQR design. Go one size above the manufacturers recommended weight. If I know there is a big blow coming, I always set two anchors at a 90 degree angle if there is room to do this. I'll move to get to a place away from other boats in order to use two anchors. At the very least, a long chain leader on the anchor is necessary. There have been endless discussions about this in past threads if you search.

#6 ·
Most of the anchorages in the Keys we have used have two features:

1) Terrible holding - limestone, or a thin layer of sand over limestone
2) Powerful currents that reverse with the tides

For you boat I would want two anchors and rodes. At a minimum, they would be:

1) Your largest Danforth (as long as it is at least 16 lbs) with 20 feet of 1/4" high-test chain and 100 feet 1/2 inch line.
2) A 35lb Mantus/Manson Supreme/Spade/Rocna with 50 feet of 1/4" of high-test chain and 150 feet of 1/2 inch line.

I am assuming you do not have a windlass. You might drop the main anchor down to 25 lbs if you cannot lift the 35lb with chain (try to do it with one of your neighbors anchors). 50 feet of chain will weigh about 35 lbs, but you should never be lifting more than half of it at once. You can also use a halyard or turning blocks and a winch.

When you are anchored on a hard bottom, the extra weight of the anchor is nice, since it will not be digging in at all. Might also consider carrying a kellett, especially if you go with the smaller anchor. Attach it where the rope meets the chain.

#8 ·
I once read about a guy who welded up a 135 lb anchor for his 35 footer, took it apart ,and stowed it in the bilge. Others laughed at and ridiculed him for carrying such a huge anchor. When a hurricane came, he assembled it and set it. Then he watched all the other boats drag past him, then he went to bed. One such use was all he needed to get out of it, to justify the effort of building it, and the bilge space it took up.

#9 · (Edited)
We carry 5 anchors and rodes aboard.
#1) an 88# Rocna with 200' of 1/2" bbb chain
#2) a 55# Danforth with 75' of 3/8" bbb chain and 350' of braided nylon
#3) a 45# Bruce with 50' of 3/8" bbb chain and 250' of 3 strand nylon
#4) a 45# Northhill S/S with 35' of bbb chain and 200' of 3 strand nylon
#5) a 45# grapnel with 50' of bbb chain and 200' of 3 strand nylon (excellent for chucking into the mangroves or wedging into rocks).
We have another 450' of various lines for tying off to pilings, trees or mangroves.
I believe ht chain is counter productive to good anchoring practices, as it is lighter per foot (longer links) than bbb and not strong enough to hold the boat anyway, on a direct boat to anchor pull.
Obviously your boat won't require the heavy anchors or as heavy rode, but the scope wouldn't change.
Chafe gear is your best friend; I like carpet remnants.
Your biggest enemy is other boats and flying debris (trees, tin roofs, electric transformers, etc).
How you set your anchors will depend on where you are anchoring; there are no cut and dry rules.
I have anchored in something like 50 cyclonic storms in my career without losing a boat.

#10 ·
Since you only have a 25 foot boat, I am not in the camp that believes you need a 35 lb anchor with all chain rode. Certainly one of your anchors can be a Danforth type. It should be a 13 lb (or larger) and 20-25 feet of chain rather than the 8 you currently have. Having another type of anchor is a very good idea. A Rocna or Manson Supreme would be ideal, but if the budget is limited, a used plow or claw type would be OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.