Butyl or Dow Corning 795 sealant--forward hatch and port windows - SailNet Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Maine Sail
  • 1 Post By DonScribner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-14-2015 Thread Starter

Butyl or Dow Corning 795 sealant--forward hatch and port windows

I decided to replace my forward hatch because it is leaking, beat up from PO and one has to screw down locking knobs to keep open to desired position. Port windows the same and siliconed outside to stop leaks by PO.

Would it be better to use butyl for both of these or the suggested Dow Corning 795 Window Sealant?

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2015

Re: Butyl or Dow Corning 795 sealant--forward hatch and port windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3966 View Post
I decided to replace my forward hatch because it is leaking, beat up from PO and one has to screw down locking knobs to keep open to desired position. Port windows the same and siliconed outside to stop leaks by PO.

Would it be better to use butyl for both of these or the suggested Dow Corning 795 Window Sealant?
For the acrylic to the the aluminum frame use 795. For frame to deck you can used butyl or any sealant you choose..
SloopJonB likes this.

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2015

MS,

You reselling through HM? If so I used your stuff to rebed everything but the toe rail. Worked well. Tenacious stuff and thinner than the 1/4" stuff I used before. Then launched at 6:00 PM from Bug Light and spent the night on Richmond. Great day coming back yesterday. Lazy but an honest 5 knots (near hull speed for me)

Don
oysterman23 likes this.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
MS,

You reselling through HM? If so I used your stuff to rebed everything but the toe rail. Worked well. Tenacious stuff and thinner than the 1/4" stuff I used before. Then launched at 6:00 PM from Bug Light and spent the night on Richmond. Great day coming back yesterday. Lazy but an honest 5 knots (near hull speed for me)

Don
Yes Hamilton has Bed-It Tape, glad you liked it. It was a beautiful weekend, today a bit rainy...

______
-Maine Sail / CS-36T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
For the acrylic to the the aluminum frame use 795. For frame to deck you can used butyl or any sealant you choose..
Great, thank you sir!

1985 O'Day 26'

I spent all my money on booze, boats and broads. And the rest of it, I wasted. - Elmore Leonard
post #6 of 9 Old 06-15-2015

I've had very good luck with Dow Sylgard to seal fixed acrylic portlights to FG and aluminum. It was recommended by the local glass shop here in a maritime neighborhood. It is a very messy proposition requiring masking areas where you don't want it. I believe it is the same material used to seal automotive windshields.

I've used other sealants and the Sylgard is far and away the best I've used with acrylic. There may be other solutions, such as Mainesail's approach, but I am comfortable with Sylgard.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-16-2015
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

The oft repeated cliche says that silicone sealant has no place on a boat. I do not like to experiment with something like sealant.

So if I think I might want to take it apart sometime in the future I use 3M 4200.

If I am absolutely sure I want a permanent job then 3M 5200.

TOP TIP Buy small tubes unless you know you need a lot and keep them in the fridge even if unopened.

TOP TIP TWO After you have watched your hypalon patch you applied using the supplied 2 part glue on your dink peel off after a month try 3M 5200, My rowlock is still stuck on after 3 years.

Last edited by TQA; 06-16-2015 at 06:45 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-17-2015

If your thinking of using a silicone product on a boat I would highly recommend the Dow Corning 795. I've used it on all my hatches, glass deck plates, stanchion bases and a bit of everywhere on my Cheoy 38'. It does not cure super hard and when applied to clean surfaces adheres to even the wood (apply when wood is dry). Some of the uses are 3 and 4 years old with not ever a leak and when you want to change out something it can be removed with minor effort. I think there are several products out there which work well in the marine environment but when one doesn't know how to use them they get a bad rep. The other great thing about it is it costs about a third or less that some of the over rated "marine "caulks.
That's just my opinion...
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2015

Butyl caulk will seal great but IF you ever wish to take the caulked part off or if you get too much butyl applied you will have a permanent mess. Butyl can be removed with Acetone but then you risk damaging the surfaces it was applied to. I have used the Dow 795 RTV (otherwise known as silicone) in many installations of walk in coolers and freezers without a problem, but that is different than uses in a sailing vessel. HOWEVER, bedding a window pane, sealing a fixed panel, or a similar application I would never use butyl IF it might sometime need to be removed. Just my experience......

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.