Catalina 30', How seaworthy? - SailNet Community
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 06-16-2015 Thread Starter

Catalina 30', How seaworthy?

So I found this website...

www.sailpanache.com

This young guy takes a 1976 Catalina 30 and sails it alone thousands of miles clear across the Pacific Ocean. This is his videos...

www.youtube.com/user/ZacharySOLough

Just curious if a Catalina 30 would be a good choice for setting sail from California to Hawaii, and then heading to the South Pacific.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-16-2015

Re: Catalina 30', How seaworthy?

Catalina 30 is reasonable. Hawaii not so much. Head down thru Mexico, Galapagos, Marquesas, Tahiti, Cook Islands .... Yada yada .... To the Philippines. Do it now. Easy! You will see Hawaii when you fly home to see mom. It is out of the way. I'm in Honolulu today.....waiting for a flight to Micronesia.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #3 of 39 Old 06-16-2015
Old enough to know better

Well as it has been said here before a thousand times, you can cross an ocean in a kayak, but do you really want to. Not the ideal boat by any measure, but hey Remus is drifting across the Pacific in an even smaller boat, and does not know how to sail and seems to not be able to learn. So anything is possible, but not the smartest way to do it. I tend to think coastal cruising boats like the Catalina 30 can do some offshore jumps, I would not want to cruse across oceans in one. Not designed to do it, not strong enough construction (bulkheads, chain plates, rigging, rig) and not nearly enough tankage.
post #4 of 39 Old 06-16-2015

I own a Catalina 30. Great boat. Wouldn't cross an ocean in it. This guy ends up with rudder problems (and more) - the boat just isn't built for long-term cruising across oceans.
post #5 of 39 Old 06-16-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptyk View Post
I own a Catalina 30. Great boat. Wouldn't cross an ocean in it. This guy ends up with rudder problems (and more) - the boat just isn't built for long-term cruising across oceans.
...yet here they are in paradise.
Group9 likes this.

"...there are two kinds of opinions, those based upon tradition ... and those having something in their favor." B. Russell
post #6 of 39 Old 06-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptyk View Post
As a former C30 owner, I totally agree. It was built to be a coastal cruiser, not a blue water boat.
I feel the same about my current C34.
Now, if you want to hop around the Caribbean, go for it. You pretty much are never more than a day or two from land. Crossing oceans...no way.
post #7 of 39 Old 06-17-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by aloof View Post
...yet here they are in paradise.
"Man who say something can not be done, should not interfere with man doing it." Old Chinese Proverb.
RobGallagher likes this.

On the northern Gulf of Mexico.

"Best thing to do is get her out on the ocean. If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there." Captain Ron Rico
post #8 of 39 Old 06-17-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

You can hammer in a nail using a screwdriver or a pair of vise grips. I wouldn't try to build a house this way, though.

If one insists on using a coastal cruiser for blue water passages, I would at least do research on the boat's weak points and attempt to correct the deficiencies.
I think that many of these boats can be built up to be much safer for little money and a lot of sweat.

In the end though, no boat can protect you from your own stupidity or something nasty and unexpected from Mother Nature.
jerryrlitton likes this.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #9 of 39 Old 06-17-2015

The C30 can take alot, but there's a difference between storms and survival storms. Read the article at this link and you'll begin to understand the difference. In short, the question is whether the boat will have a chance of surviving a complete rollover, if it should happen. When you're at sea, you can't rely on anyone to come help you if you get in trouble. You can only rely on your own survival and sailing skills, and your equipment. When their lives depend on it, most experienced long distance sailors want a boat that can withstand the worst case scenario. If you can't rely on your equipment, then all you have left to rely upon is yourself, and that might not be enough.

https://www.morganscloud.com/2013/06...rvival-storms/
post #10 of 39 Old 06-17-2015

In 2008 a poorly maintained Catalina 30 drifted from Dana Point California to Hawaii after the novice sailor went MIA going to San Diego.
O.C. boat found off Hawaii - latimes
People on a sailboat in a gale "come apart" long before a halfway decent boat will be in any real peril.
JimMcGee and harmonic like this.

"Just call me TB"

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.