Itinerary for tall ships sailing from Baltimore to Philly (June 2015) - SailNet Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter

Itinerary for tall ships sailing from Baltimore to Philly (June 2015)

A friend of mine posted a Facebook picture of L'Hermoine in Baltimore this morning. That ship is traveling to Philly for our tall ship festival next weekend. I can't attend that due to an out of town commitment, but I sure would love to sail up the Delaware river with them when they go through the canal and up to Philly.

Does anyone here know the float plan for L'Hermoine or any of the other tall ships? I figure they they'll be heading up sometime from Monday through Wednesday, and the tidal currents are favorable for the afternoons next week. But I'd like to know which day(s) most of the tall ships are traveling.

L'Hermoine's website says that they depart Baltimore 9 am Tuesday, 6/23 and arrive in Philly Thursday 6/25. Do they really take 3 days to make that trip? If so, what are the stopping off points?

Does anyone have more details on L'Hermoine or any of the other tall ships?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1994 Mason 44 Firefly on loan from my BFF (West River, Galesville, MD)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 06-20-2015

Re: Itinerary for tall ships sailing from Baltimore to Philly (June 2015)

Ais?
post #3 of 19 Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter

Well sure, AIS will show where they are now. But I'd like a couple days notice for when they'll pass by my home port so I can arrange my calendar accordingly.

Also, I have a commitment in Philly Wednesday night, and if the timing is right I'd reserve a slip and park in their shadow (literally) for the evening, then go to my evening appointment. But I need advance notice to arrange all that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-21-2015 at 12:52 AM.
post #4 of 19 Old 06-20-2015

Are you familiar with the various attributes of MarineTraffic.com?
post #5 of 19 Old 06-20-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Are you familiar with the various attributes of MarineTraffic.com?
Yes, I have used it for 5 years, and have L'Hermione's page up on the site. Maybe the paid account shows more than I see. Since you seem to be an expert and/or have a paid account, maybe you can go there and look up the date/time that L'Hermione will pass under the Commodore Barry Bridge. I'm concerned that marinetraffic may not offer that level of detail no matter how much you pay, so I don't want to buy a paid account when it may be of no benefit to me.

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-21-2015 at 12:56 AM.
post #6 of 19 Old 06-20-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Yes, Since you seem to be an expert .
Good luck and have a pleasent day.
kb3pwc likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Good luck and have a pleasent day.
Not sure what you mean by this. Calling you an expert should not be taken as an insult. If you're not willing to access the paid features on marinetraffic that I don't have access to, then hopefully someone else can.

Thanks anyway.

post #8 of 19 Old 06-21-2015 Thread Starter

L'Hermione's air draft is 185'. Does anyone know if there's a way to lower her rig a bit?

All the C&D canal bridges are too low. So I assume she has to head out into the ocean and up the full length of the Delaware.

According to NOAA, Delaware Memorial bridge is 188' at the very center. That will be interesting to see.

The Walt Whitman Bridge, which she must pass under to get to her Penns Landing/Camden destination, is only 150' at the center. That will be VEEEEERRRRRY interesting to see.

post #9 of 19 Old 06-22-2015
Chastened

Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

TF-

The problem is that their schedule has been slightly off as they coordinate their arrival with favorable tides.
I missed an opportunity to sail near them, because of this.

Sorry I couldn't offer any helpful advice.

S/V Old Shoes
1973 Pearson 30 #255
post #10 of 19 Old 06-22-2015 Thread Starter

From the Philly Tall Ships Facebook page:
Quote:

Rick Sonntag
Inquiring mind wants to know: How are you going to get a 185' tall ship under a 150' high bridge (Walt Whitman)?

Tall Ships Philadelphia Camden Hi Rick, the ships are coordinating their arrivals with the tides.

Rick Sonntag Thanks for the info, I know that low tide is 4 pm on Thursday. But a 6' tidal swing is not going to compensate for a 35' height difference. So I am curious what their plan is to avoid colliding with the bridge.
I assume that their masts must be sectioned, allowing for the top parts to be lowered. But it will be quite an interesting sight to see them making the adjustments (unless they already routinely sail with partial masts).

I know that the Bay Bridge's maximum height is 182' vs. their air draft of 185', so they've probably encountered this problem before (since the bay's tidal swing is less than 3'). Or maybe they're exaggerating their height a bit.

Fort Mifflin is running a festival on Thursday boasting the best vantage point along the river to view the parade. I plan to anchor right across the river from them. I have not been able to find a LNM that indicates that the river will be closed off along there. There is a safety zone on the west side of the river along Penns Landing, but not down in south Philly.

Last edited by TakeFive; 06-22-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.