Annual Long Island Sound Vacation - SailNet Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 06-28-2015 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Annual Long Island Sound Vacation

My wife and I are gearing up for our annual vacation/ visit to the Long Island Sound and beyond starting August 15.

We will be doing our usual down the Delaware , up the Jersey Coast hops visiting some of our favorite places like Cape May, Barnegat, Sandy Hook and Port Washington

This year we decided to " hang" out at at some of our favorite spots between the forks of the End of Long Island such as Greenport, Sag Harbor , Mountauk, the over to Stonington and Mystic.

Last year we visited Milford for the first time ( loved it) but want to try a few new stops on the Conneticut / Rhode Island side.

Looking for information on Watch Hill and Clinton which look like nice stops.

Dave
brokesailor and Tripper 17 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 06-28-2015

Re: Annual Long Island Sound Vacation

Welcome back!

Watch Hill is one of my favorite spots on the eastern end of LI Sound. Great beaches, small but interesting town, and anchorage with good holding in moderate depths close to both. Its a long narrow channel in from Stonington but it's well marked and maintained. Don't try it in fog. From the anchorage it's a short walk over the dunes to the beach. You can walk to town from the beach or take the dink into the cove were there is a dinghy dock to the left of the yacht club. Dining is a bit limited, but the newly rebuilt Ocean House is very classy (with prices to match).

Haven't been in to Clinton in years. A bit of a pain to get in and no anchorage spots. I usually stop at nearby Westbrook and either anchor behind Duck Island if I'm just passing east or west, or go into the Brewer's marina if we're in the mood for a real shower, want to use the swimming pool, or dinner at Bill's (a classic New England seafood shack).
mbianka likes this.

Last edited by JimsCAL; 06-28-2015 at 09:01 PM.
post #3 of 32 Old 06-28-2015

Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
My wife and I are gearing up for our annual vacation/ visit to the Long Island Sound and beyond starting August 15.

Dave
Come and hang out in NCY for a night! I'm at 79th St till mid September.

Mark
mbianka likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:

post #4 of 32 Old 06-28-2015

Dave, if your club has reciprocity with the Manhasset Bay YC, I recommend stopping there for a nice lunch. Stopped on our way back from Newport after the A2N race. Guest moorings are red and furthest from the club. Ones to the East have painters on them. Fuel is nearby too.
Enjoy
Joel

The Office
c&C 35/3
Annapolis
post #5 of 32 Old 06-28-2015

Hey,

I have been to Clinton. We stayed at the Cedar Island Marina, which is very nice. When I was there (2012) there as very little water at low tide, but I believe the harbor has been dredged to 10' so it should be fine now. The harbor is pretty but I don't think there is really a town within walking distance.

Barry

Barry Lenoble
Deep Blue C, 2002 C&C 110
Mt. Sinai, NY

post #6 of 32 Old 06-28-2015

Clinton isn't much of a sailing harbor and no anchoring options. Westbrook is a far better choice. Anchor out at duck island or shore side at brewers. Our yacht club is up the river from pilots point. We have guest slips when slip owners are away. Bills is across the street.
fyi
if you come in near closing time and want to go to "the Boom" for dinner you can usually stay on the fuel dock for the night for free.
Let me know if I can help while your in the area.
Jim

S/V Deja Vu
CS 40
post #7 of 32 Old 06-29-2015 Thread Starter

Great ideas so far.
post #8 of 32 Old 06-29-2015

My recommendations:

Three Mile Harbor in East Hampton is a nice anchorage.

Coecles Harbor on Shelter Island is a nice spot to chill out

Mattituck on Long Island's north shore on the east end. Peaceful anchorage (harbor of refuge). Town has a park with a dingy dock and free hot showers. Provisions (supermarket) nearby too!

Mount Sinai Harbor a hidden gem three miles east of Port Jefferson. Small Mount Sinai yacht club has three blue transit moorings. Ralph's Fishing Station may have one or two also. Half the harbor is a Marine Sanctuary great for gunk holing with the dingy.

Mike
BIANKA: sailing the Isle of Long waters these days

post #9 of 32 Old 06-29-2015 Thread Starter

We love Mattituck. Never been to Three Mile Harbor. Is there stuff to see do near by. How about provisioning.

Been into Mt Sinai and saw Barry's c&c 115 on the mooring a year ago we thought. Are there any restaurants etched near by. We have always stopped in eclectic Port Jeff
post #10 of 32 Old 06-29-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
We love Mattituck. Never been to Three Mile Harbor. Is there stuff to see do near by. How about provisioning.

Been into Mt Sinai and saw Barry's c&c 115 on the mooring a year ago we thought. Are there any restaurants etched near by. We have always stopped in eclectic Port Jeff
At Three Mile Harbor there is a small deli walk-able from the southern end of the harbor. There are also a couple of restaurants along the channel in Three Mile Harbor accessible by dingy. Then there is the town of East Hampton a high end tourist spot with lot's of little shops, cafes and restaurants. Couple of supermarkets too. Though it's a long walk from the harbor. There is a bus that operates hourly(?). Google Suffolk County Bus schedule for updated info. Also taxis could take you shopping or drop you off at one the ocean beaches for the day. I think they might also show movies on the beach one night a week.

Mount Sinai has the Mount Sinai Yacht Club which I think serves lunch dinner may need reciprocal privileges. Ralphs Fishing Station has burgers, salads, fish sandwiches etc... til 8 PM. There is an Italian Restaurant Savinos Hideaway (never ate there) nearby best to take a Taxi as it's a long walk.

Mike
BIANKA: sailing the Isle of Long waters these days

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.