SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Easy Solar Panel Mount

3K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  travlin-easy 
#1 ·
Do it yourself solar panel mount! 2 Rail clamps, 1 Flat Panel TV wall mount with Tilt feature, 2 - 2 inch strips to extend the tv mount part, 1-150 watt solar panel, electrical ties for cable, some bolts and screws. It works! Its much cheaper than buying a prefab and it can be adjusted to sun direction!:angel

#3 ·
I need to make 3 more posts before I can upload files :( I used w e s t m a r i n e for rail clamps, r e n o g y solar panel and searched e b a y for appropriate tv flat panel screen mount. Make sure the screen mount can handle the solar panel weight go with a 60 inch or greater. Mount can be purchased for about 20-30 bucks, rail clamps whatever west charges. Sorry about no picks have to write more posts I guess.

#12 ·
Gary, did that solar panel come with that rigid frame or did you build it yourself? Details man! I want to build a rail mount frame that I an flip up and down as well as remounting it over the Bimini. All suggestions and advice are welcome!

#14 ·
George, the panel came from Home Depot with a rigid, aluminum frame. I added some aluminum cross members that came from Home Depot and then attached the bimini parts. When I get to the boat this weekend, I'll shoot some HD video close-ups so you can see how everything is put together. I completed the entire installation, wiring and all, in less than two hours, and I'm old and slow.

All the best,

Gary :cool:

#19 ·
Sorry I didn't get around to this until today, but here's the video of the solar panel mount.

The solar panel was purchased from Home Depot, it's a 100-watt panel that is encased in an aluminum frame. I attached a pair of aluminum angle strips to the base of the frame using stainless screws and nyloc nuts. All other parts were purchased from Marine Depot and are nothing more than Bimini top parts that were very inexpensive. I covered the corners of the panel with some plastic insulation that I removed from an old electrical cable, then glued the strips to the edges so I wouldn't inadvertently part my hair with the sharp edges. I attached the back edge of the panel to the back stay using a wire tie and another short strip of insulation to prevent chafing. It works great and provides a very stable anchor for the panel.

Finally, the panel is fed to an inexpensive regulator that is housed in the battery compartment. RDK PRODUCTS 8 Amp Charge Controller, Dim 5" x 4" x 1 1/2", 120W/8A | West Marine

All the best,

#20 ·
I like that! It looks easier than mine to put together. So, the bottom of the bimini post comes like that? Ready to be attached to the rail? Oh, and your the Morgan Man!!! I did one of those introductions with where I sail and boat model (all good to go just have to get some new sails and furlers as weighing 100 lbs does not give me a lot of leverage)! Thanks for the video as I am a visual learner.

#21 ·
They have changed the rail mounts a bit since I purchased mine, and the price has doubled to $12 each.

And you will need four of these, which have also increased a bit in price to about $7 each. When I purchased mine, they were on sale for $3.50 each.

I purchased the stainless tubing from a canvas shop for $5 for a 28-inch length, then cut it in half with a heavy duty tubing cutter.

All the best,

#24 ·
However, I have doubts about that controller. Based on the price and the description, I'm sure it's a simple shunting type, not PWM and certainly not MPPT.
If is a basic shunting controller that turns off at 14.2V and comes back on again at 13V... It will prevent over-charging but that's about it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.