SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

What would u do? (bareboat dilemma #2)

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  PNesbett 
#1 ·
I posted recently on a bareboat charter in the Chesapeake, “Charter Hull Scratches.” This post is about the same charter but a different scenario. I am interested in what you would do in the following scenario. (Those who read the other post will probably sigh after reading this.)

My wife and I bareboat chartered a 31-foot sloop for 3 days. We chartered the same boat the year before and loved it. Last year, all was in working order.

This year was a different story. During checkout, the charter company informed us that the Raymarine chart plotter wasn’t working and neither was the diesel engine ignition kill switch. The plotter needed a new chart card (which was “on order”); the ignition kill needed a new cable and was jerry-rigged with a string to the engine. The boat had a chart book but it was dated 2000. There were also large tears in the dodger.

The charter company didn’t notify us in advance of these things. They also did not offer to cancel the charter. They told us they figured we could probably get by.

A little unnerved, we took the boat because: a) we had driven 2.5 hours the night before and stayed in a hotel, and thus were already out a couple hundred dollars; b) winds were predicted at 10-15 knots for the next 3 days and we wanted to sail; c) we didn’t have plans to gunk-hole or anchor—we picked up mooring balls both nights; d) we had prepaid the charter (as is standard) and left them a security deposit an hour earlier in the form of a cashier's check.

We had no problems sailing from charts, despite some shoaling we had heard about in a few narrow channels. During the three days we never touched that soft Chesapeake bottom. We also barely used the engine. On the third morning, we tried to start it up without luck. Fortunately, there was a breeze, so we sailed off the mooring. That afternoon, we tried again, also without luck. I opened up the engine, and with my hand (as the charter company advised), flicked the spring-loaded lever on engine block to make sure it was properly back in place. The engine started. All ok.

In an email exchange I had with the charter company after returning the boat, I complained that the boat was not delivered to us as advertised. They replied that they were prepared to cancel the charter at check in if we had requested it.

My question to you all...

If you had arrived for check-in for a 3-day charter to find that the chart plotter wasn’t working (it is listed as one of the accessories on the boat) and the fuel kill switch was broken and jerry-rigged, would you have canceled the charter on the spot and driven 2.5 hours home?

Be honest, think about being in the moment: a beautiful sunny day, a nice morning breeze, you've been looking forward to the charter for months...

See less See more
#5 ·
I dunno, I've never chartered but I'd be glad these issues were on some else's boat and not mine. Of all the myriad of things to go wrong on a boat, these things fall into the pretty minor category. It's not liked the head backed up or the keel fell off.

#7 · (Edited)
To me it makes the claim that you scratched the boat upon return that much more suspicious.

Are you going back to them with these issues now in an attempt to get your security deposit back?

So far they are batting 500. In Baseball that's hall of fame, in Chartering it may be good reason to find another company next time.

Once on a BVI Charter with the Moorings, one of the lines to the lazy jack broke. We were fine with it, and didn't plan to call mid charter for a fix. At the Bitter-end a guy came out to us in a dinghy and said he spotted it from shore and he was hired by the Moorings to fix stuff. He proceeded to climb the mast and re-attached the line on the spot, without our even asking. N/C. ( we took care of him)

#8 ·
No chart plotter? And after the other thread and this one you still want to charger from them?
You must love the boat/price. And that's a strong consideration.

Firstly, well done getting the engine going. Problem solving is what boats are all about and its more difficult on someone else's boat because u have no idea about the individual intransigence s.
Next: if you are enjoying boating you maybe should get your own charting AP on a smart phone, laptop etc so you can plan better at home and have your own kit. Considering some iPad ones are free and the USA charts are free its crazy not to.
finally, have a look around for another charter company in the area you want to sail. There may be a better one.

I think you are learning the real adventure of cruising... its not just walk on/walk off. A boat is a living breathing 5 year old child... you have to manage it with care, psychology and a few lies. Swearing often helps!

Mark

#10 ·
I always bring my own hand-held chart plotter and seldom rely on the boats CP as they are all enough different that I'm not confident I can use it fast enough.

Something as important as navigation I try not to depend on others.

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife
#11 · (Edited)
I'm the last guy to throw stones, I've screwed up too many times to count.

In this case based on your accounting of the story you screwed up and scratched the boat, probably.

Then after the fact it sounds like your inner hamster goes, Well it's not just me it was them too, the Engine, the chart plotter etc. inconvenienced me, so what I did didn't count, or at least evened out.

I'm not blaming you for your reaction, it is human enough, no one wants to be wrong. But from an outsiders perspective with no skin in the game your inconvenience does not stack up to permanent damage to the boat. By your own story they were right, you were able to manage. Without the scratch you would have been telling everyone what a great time you had and how you were able to solve a few problems but it worked out great.

Something you may not have thought of is who owns the boat? The people you are dealing with may not own the boat. It is common for someone to put a boat in charter with a third party, the people you are dealing with. If this is the case your guy is between the boat owner who is pissed that his boat is scratched and you. He may be faced with working all season and loosing a most or all of his income for the year to solve this problem. You are from out of town but he has to live with these people and it may even effect his business next year, if he can keep it going at all.

This sucks for everyone, we all make mistakes. No one died, it could have been worse. Do the honorable thing, whatever that is, I don't know.

Be aware that I'm just some idiot on the internet who probably didn't even read your story, at least not carefully, and who as absolutely no moral standing to tell someone else how to live their life.

#13 ·

If you had arrived for check-in for a 3-day charter to find that the chart plotter wasn't working (it is listed as one of the accessories on the boat) and the fuel kill switch was broken and jerry-rigged, would you have canceled the charter on the spot and driven 2.5 hours home?

The plotter I could do without. The engine kill switch...? Frankly, I'd have told them to keep the boat and I'd keep my money.

#14 ·
If it was the throttle or the shifter I would feel that way.

The kill switch would not be that important to me.

I always bring a spare t-shirt:smile

#15 ·
I'm a little confused why you didn't request a replacement vessel? Just like auto rentals, if the vehicle/vessel you secured with your deposit isn't available, the company should have made good on their promise to deliver, by offering you another vessel.

Reactions: rnixon
#18 ·
Capta: I couldn't request a replacement: they only have one sailboat; they charter large motor boats.

Mark: Yes, great boat at a very good price. The best I have found on the Chesapeake. The boat is older (1984) so that is probably why the price.

As to who owns the boat, like many bareboat charter companies they manage the boat on behalf of the owner, who rarely uses it.

I'm keeping this scenario separate from the incident with the scratches...especially here on this board. I took the boat out with the issues above, and in the end it didn't cause me any real inconvenience, so I'm not tempted to go back to them and make an issue of it now and demand some after-the-fact discount or a discount on a future charter.

Thanks all for weighing in.

#16 · (Edited)
I'd have asked if they had another boat. If all they had was more expensive, that would be their problem IMO. The chart plotter being out would be an issue for less experienced / qualified skippers, so really ought to be working. The engine kill switch is a safety issue, e.g. in case of an engine fire or getting stuck in gear. The engine also needs to start easily - you might need it quickly.

If I were expecting a leisurely sail, and another wasn't available, I'd have taken the boat too. However, everything would have been documented on a pre-cruise, including the state of the hull. I'd have made one if they didn't provide one.

#17 · (Edited)
Some years ago I chartered, from a local charter company.
On one week long charter I had picked a nice boat. while we were away the engine kill switch broke. or more accurately stuck in the kill position.
I called and talked to the Charter company, They were unsuccessful, trying to arrange a mechanic. We ended up stuck on an Island for an extra day, Until I borrowed some tools from another boat and disconnected the kill switch .
We got going again and enjoyed the rest of the week with some minor inconvenience stopping the motor.

At the end of our week. On return to the charter base they were extremely apologetic about the problem and particularly about not being able to get someone to our location to fix it. They refunded us two full days charter fee without even asking.

Would I charter from them or recommend them again. I have done both.

Problems happen its how they are dealt with what counts.

The engine kill switch should have been fixed prior to departure. If it took to much time then the charter fee should have been reduced until the boat was ready.
Would I take the boat with a temporary repair? Probably.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.