If you owned more than one sail boat in your life time. - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-06-2015 Thread Starter

If you owned more than one sail boat in your life time.

If you have owned more than one sail boat in your life time is there one you wished you had never set foot on. Why?

I bought a J-Boat that was refitted in Chicago and sailed to Louisville, KY. Owner was visting kids on the way to the Gulf. He took sick and kids put boat in inside storage, 40', son took all electranics off boat, so they would not be stolen, and had them taken in a home invasion. I ended up buying boat not knowing anything about boats being a money pit. After working on it for 6 months, going every weekend from Indianapolis, then finding out what replacement cost was for all the items taken I sold the boat. Didn't lose much money but out all the weekends I spent there hoping to learn on it that coming summer.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-06-2015

Re: If you owned more than one sail boat in your life time.

Not so far .

Kinda an odd thread though Warren. I guess misery loves company, and I bet there will be other examples posted, but I assume there is more to your story. It can't be that you were turned off simply by the cost of electronics -- not with a 40-foot J-boat.

You can spend endless amounts on electronics, but if you kept it to stuff that is reasonably necessary (radio, speed, depth, plotter, perhaps AIS) it wouldn't add up to much more than a grand or two. Could even add wind and autohelm and you'd still only be into a few thousand bucks.

If the boat was in poor shape I can certainly see the bills mounting to unexpected heights, especially if you didn't really know what you were getting into. This is certainly where people get in over their heads.

Why go fast, when you can go slow.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 07-06-2015 at 03:19 PM.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-06-2015

Well, sorry about the bad experience, which sounds like you learned something from.

IMO the problem wasn't so much the boat itself - your mistake was buying a 40' J-Boat as a first boat (!!), without foreknowledge about what a money pit boats are

As has been oft repeated, buying the boat (any boat, really) isn't really the problem - it's being able to afford everything else that comes after the initial purchase.

What were the missing electronics? I have trouble accepting that as being the show-stopper... I can get by with just a VHF, depth and speed/distance for hard-wired electronics, a masthead windex, telltails on the sails, a paper chart kit, binoculars, and a handheld GPS. Everything else is nice to have, but hardly necessary to the point that you can't go sailing without it.

Otherwise, the one boat I had that I regretted buying was a JY14, and that was just because it was a really boring, uncomfortable boat to sail.
Brent Swain likes this.
post #4 of 19 Old 07-06-2015
arrgh!

Dock

I've had three, all under 15 ft.

I had a Paceship Oak Island (P-12)... I wouldn't say I wish I never step foot in, though I would never head in that direction again. It was smaller than the Chrysler LoneStar I had before --- in two ways (shorter in length and because there wasn't a keel boat, more area in the cockpit).

The Paceship had several other details that I didn't like. I had fun on the boat... but what I didn't like about it, was a learning experience to avoid in the future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vector X Y
post #5 of 19 Old 07-06-2015
just ducky

I've had 2 boats, a Cal-39 and my current Hunter 410. I wish I had never wasted my time and money on the Cal-39 as my first boat and just gotten my Hunter to start with. Yes having it I learned of things I wanted on my next boat, but I already pretty much knew those to start with and it just proven them. I probably got the Cal-39 based on two factors:
1 - it was less expensive on a price basis, but as a cost basis it just wasted the money I spent on it for two years in maintenance, repair, and lost money getting rid of it
2 - I had read too many internet forums and let them convince me that the Hunters I was attracted to at the start weren't good boats, which now after 5 years of owning one I know are complete ********

The lesson I learned is, get the boat you want to start with and don't waste money on "starter" or some "learning" boat. If you are wrong it probably ends up costing you about the same, but if right you just saved a lot of boat bucks!

Don't blow air up my rear, be useful and blow it at the sails!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-06-2015 Thread Starter

Where I was working on the boat was a frish water marina ran by a guy with no bluewater knowadge. He had me at $15,000 on the things he was telling me to buy to go to the sea. I now know you don't need all the toys just to go but at the time knowing nothing I was buying hook,line and sinker thinking he should know.
Brent Swain likes this.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-06-2015
arrgh!

Dock

Un-fortunately you have to learn the hard way....

To go back to your original post...

Is this the only boat you have owned?

I don't know if you could say this was a bad boat (model) or even bad for you, but for the shape it was in. One of the things I think about when looking at boats is what can I do and what needs to be done. A boat that needs fiberglass repair is not a boat for me.. but if the woodwork needs sanding and varnished, that I can do.. Since I am buying small boats, electronics don't figure in... however... the main reasons I see for buying used boats are: better price and how they are rigged. You boat a boat that doesn't seem to have either.

To me it is like getting a 'good deal' on a sailboat, but it doesn't have sails... well not only can you not take it for a test ride, you aren't going to find good, used sails anywhere... so what you are buying is new sails...

Vector X Y
post #8 of 19 Old 07-06-2015

I'm now on my 5th sailboat in 40 years of sailing. Each was pretty much right for me at the time. No regrets at all.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-06-2015
At my Helms 27

Three boats over 60 years. Had fun with all of then and worth the small amount I paid for each . Two 25's and my present Helms 27 footer. The last one is my favorite.
The Following User Says Thank You to drsutton For This Useful Post:
oysterman23 (07-06-2015)
post #10 of 19 Old 07-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren5421 View Post
If you have owned more than one sail boat in your life time is there one you wished you had never set foot on.
Nope, every time was just a step up. From 20ft to 33ft to 36ft to 44ft.

So far and no further, 44ft is as big as I want it to get but I don't regret any one of the aforementioned. They were all good boats for me at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON0190
The lesson I learned is, get the boat you want to start with and don't waste money on "starter"
Every boat I've bought was the one I wanted "to start with" at the time. But I believe it is a rare sailor who can predict the boat he's going to end up with.
MikeOReilly and jimrafford like this.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.