Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule? - SailNet Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-14-2015 Thread Starter

Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?

Hey guys,

I have a peculiar query. Lately I've become very frustrated(and even a tad bit scared) of flying. The long waits at the airport, the entire process is a bore to me. When younger(I am 30) I would get excited at the prospect of flying. Not anymore.

I am a film director(and yes, someday it is my dream to make the definitive Sailing movie). As such I will have to keep travelling across continents. I intend to keep two houses-one in Mumbai and another in LA and divide my time.

Now here's my question: My father was a marine sailor and sailed for 30 years before retiring as a Master/Captain. I sailed almost the entire world on his few ships(Bulk carriers/Oil tankers). Even then I loved the serenity of the oceans. Perhaps in retrospect that is why I got into an artistic field.

Is it my overactive fantasy or can I have a boat and literally use it to cross oceans like I did with my father? Of course with much practise. I am already reading seaman's manuals and astro navigation.

I'd need to buy a nice boat ofcourse
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-14-2015
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

Re: Is it possible to travel by (own) ship as a rule?

Is it possible? Yes. Is it practical? Nor really. You have to remember that when you travel by boat you go very slowly, perhaps 1/100th of the speed of an airplane. Also you need to deal with prevailing winds and currents and storm (cyclone) seasons. Going from California to India and back would really mean sailing around the world. Even with a very fast race boat you would be doing very well to complete this journey in three months and that would only be possible with departures at the right time of year. Better off to get help dealing with the flight phobia.

Back home on Lake Ontario after something over 36,000 nm circumnavigator. Not surprisingly there is a lot of stuff I want to get done on Ainia both cosmetically and functionally. Getting an early start so it will be ready to go for next summer (Lake Superior?).
post #3 of 18 Old 07-14-2015

Dock

As Killarney says.

Mumbai to LA: You cannot get further apart in the sailing world. It is a multi year passage because you can not go direct in one season in either direction. So to sail either way will take you 18 months.

That's too long.

Sorry to be a dampener on your thoughts but you are going to need to fall in love with flying again
smackdaddy likes this.

Sea Life
Notes on a Circumnavigation:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 Old 07-14-2015

Book a cruise on the QEII and enjoy yourself.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
post #5 of 18 Old 07-14-2015

If you make a sailing movie and you use this song in the movie I will buy a ticket .
Really I would , here is a idea ... Buy a sail boat, (LA .). It will give you a whole new out look on the day ( Peter Fonda , Easy Rider ) .

Last edited by Markwesti; 07-15-2015 at 12:56 AM.
post #6 of 18 Old 07-14-2015

Yes, but you'd be better served with something like a Nordhavn than a sailboat, and your still only going to average about 6 kts. at 1.6 to 2 GPH.
My wife wants a 40' "baby Nordie" when we retire from sailing.

"Just call me TB"

Last edited by capttb; 07-14-2015 at 09:52 PM.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-14-2015

A friend recently sailed from the NY Metro area to Gambia to attend a conference and sailed back; double handed on 38' sloop. He's shooting for a low carbon footprint
post #8 of 18 Old 07-14-2015

There are companies that will book you as a passenger on a working ship, just googled "cruising on freighters" and got several hits. Might fit your needs well, gives you time at sea as well as being on a schedule. Just a WAG, but I'm thinking that trip would maybe be two or three weeks on a freighter as opposed to several months on a sailboat.

Last edited by grnrngr; 07-14-2015 at 10:54 PM. Reason: punctuation
post #9 of 18 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrngr View Post
There are companies that will book you as a passenger on a working ship, just googled "cruising on freighters" and got several hits. Might fit your needs well, gives you time at sea as well as being on a schedule. Just a WAG, but I'm thinking that trip would maybe be two or three weeks on a freighter as opposed to several months on a sailboat.

Oh Yes, yes.....They are. I have done all the research. And these are the ships my father captained and I spent all my childhood in-bulk carriers and oil tankers(mainly bulk carriers or frieghters as you call them)

They usually charge around 4k(inclusive of everything-bed, food) and last anywhere from 20 days to a month. Very fascinating but there comes a time when one wants to take charge. I will do this once a blue moon though.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-15-2015 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
As Killarney says.

Mumbai to LA: You cannot get further apart in the sailing world. It is a multi year passage because you can not go direct in one season in either direction. So to sail either way will take you 18 months.

That's too long.

Sorry to be a dampener on your thoughts but you are going to need to fall in love with flying again

Yeah yeah, that is what I want. I'd love a few months in the ocean like the good ole days. Not that I'd be making a trip every few months. Just once a year ritual.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.