Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006

CBinRI is on a distinguished road
Indoor Winter Storage for Yachts

I recently purchased a 41 foot sailboat with teak decks that were recently redone. I am thinking that it may prolong their life if I store the boat indoors during the winter, but have not yet researched the cost involved. Can anyone tell me how much more this will cost and can anyone recommend a specific faciilty that offers a competitive price for indoor winter storage? I am in the Newport, RI area, but would go as far as Mass or Conn. for a deal.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I think the real difficulty you will run into is the size of your boat. Most indoor storage facilities are not geared towards storing large keeled sailboats of that length.

What kind of boat is it and what is the displacement, beam, LOA and draft on the boat. Most of the facilities I am familiar with would store a boat of that size outdoors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
I think the real difficulty you will run into is the size of your boat. Most indoor storage facilities are not geared towards storing large keeled sailboats of that length.

What kind of boat is it and what is the displacement, beam, LOA and draft on the boat. Most of the facilities I am familiar with would store a boat of that size outdoors.
She's a big girl. An old S&S designed Swan 41. 41 feet long. 12 foot beam. Just under 7 foot draft. Just under 24,000 displacement.
Old 08-02-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Sailingdog's right about size limitations - boat's of that size are difficult to accommodate. However, I have seen some very large vessels stored indoors at our marina, at NEB - New England Boatworks and next door at Little Harbor/Hinckley Yachts. But be prepared for some serious sticker-shock at both those places. NEB is where America's Cup contenders and custom megayachts are built.

My boat's entire life was spent indoors for the winter at Stanley's Boat Yard in Barrington, RI, before I purchased it in '04. She has a 14 foot vertical clearance with both masts unstepped, 11 ft beam, 37 ft LOA and 18,000 lbs. Stanley's has a nice building, but with a waiting list. Check them out - just up Narragansett Bay from where I am.

Due to my boat's teak decks and exterior brightwork, I knew that it should be very well protected from freeze & thaw conditions. After getting indoor prices from NEB, I decided to build a metal EMC collapsable frame with "Framemaker Clamps" and a custom fabric cover, at a cost less than one winter's indoor storage rate.

If you're interested, I can share some photos, specs and details of the design. Otherwise, give Stanley's, Little Harbor and NEB each a call for price quotes - all just north of Newport.
Old 08-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Yes, there's a boat just a bit bigger that winters at my marina. She's a 50' steel schooner with a displacement of 28,000 or so. But she's under shrink wrap, outside...not indoors.

Good luck, most of the places I've dealt with have an upper limit of 35' or so for indoor storage.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue
Sailingdog's right about size limitations - boat's of that size are difficult to accommodate. However, I have seen some very large vessels stored indoors at our marina, at NEB - New England Boatworks and next door at Little Harbor/Hinckley Yachts. But be prepared for some serious sticker-shock at both those places. NEB is where America's Cup contenders and custom megayachts are built.

My boat's entire life was spent indoors for the winter at Stanley's Boat Yard in Barrington, RI, before I purchased it in '04. She has a 14 foot vertical clearance with both masts unstepped, 11 ft beam, 37 ft LOA and 18,000 lbs. Stanley's has a nice building, but with a waiting list. Check them out - just up Narragansett Bay from where I am.

Due to my boat's teak decks and exterior brightwork, I knew that it should be very well protected from freeze & thaw conditions. After getting indoor prices from NEB, I decided to build a metal EMC collapsable frame with "Framemaker Clamps" and a custom fabric cover, at a cost less than one winter's indoor storage rate.

If you're interested, I can share some photos, specs and details of the design. Otherwise, give Stanley's, Little Harbor and NEB each a call for price quotes - all just north of Newport.
Many thanks. I will make those calls.
Old 08-02-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Coincidentally, I have a metal frame for a boat cover that I am looking to unload if you are interested.
Old 08-02-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Coincidentally, I have a metal frame for a 41' boat cover that I am looking to unload if you are interested.
Old 08-02-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfesq
Coincidentally, I have a metal frame for a 41' boat cover that I am looking to unload if you are interested.
Thanks. I will keep it in mind.
Old 08-03-2006
Catalina 38 Avantura

duffer1960 is on a distinguished road
I would think well vented shrink wrap would do the trick. Maybe add some solar fans to circulate the air.
Catalina 38, Hull #112
"AVANTURA"
Lake Erie
Grosse Ile, Michigan

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.