Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006

mwer is on a distinguished road
Question What are good 'learn to sail' sites?

What are good 'learn to sail' sites?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Depends... what are you trying to learn about sailing. If you really want to learn about sailing, you need to go sailing.

A good book for beginning sailors, and one that is standard issue for my newbie crew members, is Seidman's The Complete Sailor.

I have found that it is well-written, clear, concise, and uses illustrations to good effect. It also covers a very wide range of material, yet is a relatively easy read. I'd start there, and also get some time in on a boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-02-2006

Jack Tar is on a distinguished road
I think this could be a great learn to sail site if we just ask more questions. I'm new to sailing also and have plenty of questions that I just haven't bothered to ask. There are so many knowlegeable people in this site (Sailingdog is one of the best) that love to help newbies but the questions have to be asked.
I bought my first boat this year. It's a 1964 Marconi-rigged catboat. Though I learn more everytime I sail, I find more things I don't understand. I'm the kind of guy who would rather find the answer myself than just come out and ask, but I'll start asking more questions of the experienced people to help the learning community (and myself).
I'm not talking about questions like, "which sailing school is best?" but things like, "when I'm sailing downwind and I want to turn, how do I avoid the crash gybe?" This is something that actually happened to me the other day. The catboat has a huge mainsail (for a 13 foot boat) ant I was shocked by the force with which that boom came around. I can't believe my 42 year old gooseneck survived!
Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread but my point is, this site has a "learn to sail" section, let's use it.
Old 08-02-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The real problem I see, is that you have to have at least a basic foundation of some knowledge. If you don't have that, you don't even have a basis to ask intelligent questions from. The book I receommend is a very solid way to get a solid foundation and answer a lot of the basic questions.

Jack Tar-

Thanks for the compliment. As for the gybe, what you're should do is bring the sail in, by gathering up the mainsheet, as you turn the tiller and bring the stern through the wind. As the wind crosses the stern you swing the boom over to the other side and release the mainsheet. Try it a few times, and you'll soon have it be second nature.

Of course, this technique should be practiced in light winds before trying it in higher winds. It also, generally, needs to be modified a bit depending on the wind strength.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 08-03-2006

conamor is on a distinguished road
Gentlemen, I too need to know a few things. I used to own a boat several years ago and have forgotten ore than I ever knew! What I need to learn all over is the names of the parts on the boat. Obviously I know what the tiller and the engine is. lol I basicly need to know the rigging and such.....Something in SIMPLE terms with arrows pointing saying...... "--> this is the COMPANION WAY" or, "--> this is a winch" lol are there any 1st or 2nd grade level books out there for me?
Old 08-03-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
We all like to seem to make it more difficult than it really is, don't we?
here are some primers.

"Sailing for Dummies" and "Learning to Sail: The Annapolis Sailing School Guide for Young Sailors of All Ages"

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 08-03-2006
Telstar 28

conamor-

As much as I like the two books that Cardiacpaul has recommended, I still stand by The Complete Sailor as the way to go for a basic primer on sailing.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-03-2006

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
Oops

Dog,
I forgot to add that one to the list!

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 08-03-2006
Telstar 28

Must be slipping in your dotage...

Telstar 28
New England

Old 08-03-2006
Seńor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Everyone has responded with some excellent suggestions for sailing education. However, since mwer has only one post and his signature line indicates he's a spammer, wouldn't his question be best worded as: What are good "learn to sale" sites?

Perhaps his marketing plan is to gather links to other popular forums for spreading his spam message - or he could be sincere. To me, this just seems like another one-post wonder.