SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Computer Upgrade

6K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  Delezynski 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Smurphny,

OpenCpn will most likely work fine on W10.

BUT, Not upgrading may not be a bad thing. I see a few things about 10 that makes me not want to go there. Like no choice on updating in the background. That might be good for a machine always on the web, but no so for one that may spend months away from shore. Also, it sure looks like it is paving the way for a subscription op system. Free today, but next you MUST pay per month.

Greg, a geezer geek........:devil

#3 ·
Yeah, you never know with Microsoft. Now they seem to be abandoning their phones which seemed like a good idea. They've also had some real disasters in the operating systems along the way. I'm going to try it on my home computer here. If it's a dud, I'm very tempted to go to Ubuntu.

#15 · (Edited)
Yes, it's the only way to get some older XP programs to work on 7. My Win 7 is 64 bit which narrows down some options as well. I've had some conflicts but 7 seems to have plenty of work-arounds.

Getting Win 7 or 10 on the boat computers is a no-go because they are older Dell laptops. Has anyone tried SSB software like Airmail with Ubuntu?

#18 ·
Shouldn't we be talking about Navigatrix? Navigatrix.net - A Voyager's Companion ?

An operating system (of course based on Linux, like the overwhelming number of computers these days) "put together by people on boats for people on boats"

I have to admit though that while it is a great idea, things are not moving very quickly with navigatrix. But who am I to complain, I have not contributed a thing to it. And the people that actually do work on it are probably busy with, ehm, sailing

:sailing-pilgrims:

#19 ·
Linuxes are pretty good - Ubuntu, Linux Mint, PCLinux OS - all great choices, except if you really can't do without a critical Windows-only software. That's why my work PC is still stuck on windows 4 years after I shifted to Ubuntu full time on my laptop - just for 1 crucial windows-only app!

#26 ·
Taking this all down guys. Thanks.

So, what can be done in a transition regarding Excel spreadsheets and Word files transfer? It'll be easy enough to just start from scratch with navigation stuff but impossible to start from scratch with hundreds of Windows-based files accumulated over the years. In communications with other computer users, is there translation ability so that text files sent from Linux can be read by Windows-based recipients and vice versa.

This particular job is new to me but I've been involved with computers since the Commodore, writing my own business programs, DOS, managing networked computer systems at school, etc. so am fairly confident in making things work.

#30 ·
So, off into the unknown. Just wiped an old laptop with Dban and installing Ubuntu. Love this stuff. You guys remember writing macros for Lotus? Programming in MS Basic? The prehistoric past is only a few years into that past:)

#38 ·
Check out PLEX. I've got a PLEX server running in the house and will eventually mirror it on the boat.

It's great stuff and constantly getting better.

https://plex.tv/

#36 ·
Well, couldn't get any Linux to work on an old laptop, too little RAM but did split volume and installed Mint on a desktop. I don't understand how to get CPN to work on Linux though. There seems to be a way on the CPN home page but it is written in Old Geekish so am puzzled:)

Reactions: Atlas
#37 ·
Hmm, sounds like it might be time to revisit Linux. I won't touch Windows 10 until it's on version 10.1 and service pack 2, maybe not even then. I can't stomach the idea of not being able to turn off upgrades. I've been burned too many times by Windows updates. :hothead

I'm an old dog when it comes to IT. Cut my teeth on VAX Assembly and Fortran and remember when K&R's C programming language was the hot new thing. I even remember the BSD vs Sys V debates (if you know what that is you're as old as I am).

These days I want to plug it in and have it work. I don't want to dig down into the OS anymore. I want to sail and tinker with the boat.

Is Ubuntu really at the plug and play level now? Or do I still need to be a Linux geek to really get it humming smoothly?

#39 · (Edited)
Hmm, sounds like it might be time to revisit Linux. I won't touch Windows 10 until it's on version 10.1 and service pack 2, maybe not even then. I can't stomach the idea of not being able to turn off upgrades. I've been burned too many times by Windows updates. :hothead

I'm an old dog when it comes to IT. Cut my teeth on VAX Assembly and Fortran and remember when K&R's C programming language was the hot new thing. I even remember the BSD vs Sys V debates (if you know what that is you're as old as I am).

These days I want to plug it in and have it work. I don't want to dig down into the OS anymore. I want to sail and tinker with the boat.

Is Ubuntu really at the plug and play level now? Or do I still need to be a Linux geek to really get it humming smoothly?
So far the Linux Mint Cinnamon has crashed twice, some graphics issue with switching monitors. But no "blank stare" problem although shut down button was lost so had to power off and reboot. Anyway, it seems to be workable even for this first time user. The included office programs seem to work flawlessly, being able to access all my Windows files. Firefox works with all the add-ons I use regularly. It automatically updated which will likely be frequent since it's open source and kinda permanent beta. Going to keep using it. If it doesn't do anything radical, can see switching from Windows altogether. It also comes with VLC Media player which I've used in the past and is a good media program.

#47 ·
To keep this on topic........
When we are out cruising, we are often beyond cell range and no chance for WiFi. But even at anchor we like to watch a show or hear music.

I bought a "Wireless Router, RAVPower Mirco SD Card Reader, Hard Drive Companion, Access Point, 6000mAh External Battery Pack Travel Charger - FileHub White" from Amazon. It's a GREAT toy! I ripped most of our DVDs & music to a external hard drive. I can just plug it into the RAV and turn it on. It's a wifi hot spot that we can watch all the videos from no matter where we are. And, it will even charge a cell or other item when they need power.

Greg

#48 ·
Greg,
VERY COOL !

It's amazing how quickly this stuff is evolving.

Jim

#53 ·
Best upgrade I've made was using a SSD in my Intel NUC. Boots up Win7 Pro x64 in about 10 seconds. I put all my programs on it, and save files to an external HDD.

#61 ·
Airmail 3 program loads up ok at home here but I have no radio/Pactor to actually test it with. It asked me for my call sign (which I had already input) so lost it on the upgrade to W10. Likely all the setup info will have to be re-entered. On the boat I use old, trusty XP computers for nav and radio so windows 10 isn't an option there. Been using XP for years and it works just fine for that stuff. That's one of those "If it ain't broke......." issues:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.