SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Cruising Lake MI (Traverse Bay) suggestions

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Azzarac 
#1 ·
Specifically the Sleeping Bear Dunes/ Traverse Bay area with kids.

My wife and I and our 3 boys, ages 10, 11, and 14 are trying to plan a vacation on our boat the 3rd week of August.

We've pretty much settled on the above mentioned area and are looking for specific suggestions on places and things to do that the kids would really like. Any other suggestions on good anchorages, hazards, etc. would be appreciated.

We did cruise the Apostle Islands 3 years ago and had an absolute blast. We really lucked out as it was an itensely hot summer and the lake Superior water was pool temperature so the the kids could swim all the time. Also, as no sail was more than a few ours boredom was kept at bay.

We keep out boat slipped in Milwaukee so I'm thinking of delivering it up to Port Washington or Sheboygan before we depart to keep the trip across as short as possible. From there were are thinking of going direct to Luddington or Pentwater, spending the night, and then heading north along the cost.

Is Traverse Bay typically warmer than the main Lake? Where/what are the things to do that boys of this age would like. Also, regarding the costal dunes and/or the Manitou Islands, any particular spots or interest or enjoyable anchorages?

Thanks...

See less See more
#2 ·
South Manitou Island is a wonderful adventure. It is one of two cubs mother bear waited for as she slept on the Michigan Shore. The north end of the harbor is a great anchorage. There is an old life saving station and a beautiful wood sailboat that I'd love to launch and sail around the island. The light house may be open for tours. I've been told that the oldest white cedar trees in the world are on the south shore. There is a wreck ont he south shore that ran aground in the 60's. I don't know how much of it is left after 50 years in the weather. South Manitou is one of my favorite places to visit in northern Lake MI. If I were me I'd spend more time on Manitou than in Traverse Bay. Leland, MI is an interesting historic fishing village. Suttons Bay in the West arm of Traverse is a popular destination.
-CH

#3 ·
I visited Sleeping Bear Dunes via automobile. I was really impressed with the monster dune on the shore itself. Regarding the trip up; you could make the trip across the lake do-able in daylight if you go up through the Sturgeon Bay shipping canal (about 25 hours from MKE), spend a day in one of the Door County towns, then up through Porte Des Morts and across.

#4 ·
I used to live in Suttons Bay, about 20 miles north of Traverse City and cruised in the area. Frankfort and Leland are harbors of refuge where they have to accommodate you I believe. Leland is a small harbor and tends to be expensive. Both would require land transportation to Sleeping Bear.

Beaver Island is north of the Leelanau Peninsula and I think kids would really enjoy it. St. James is a bit fussy to anchor in; lots of bottom trash. But it's a keyhole harbor, lots of protection. You can rent old postal trucks to tour the island, including an abandoned light house and wreck off the southern end.

East Grand Traverse Bay is shallow; most people stick to West Grand Traverse Bay. Around the corner from Lake Michigan is Northport, a lovely little town, nice marina with the usual facilities. I used to cruise there very summer when my son was the age of yours and he loved it. There's also a little bay on the southern end of Northport bay that is surrounded by private land but has good anchorage. It's a notch in the northern side of the Omena peninsula.

Omen is very small; not much there. It's a fjord, which means it has a shallow shelf around it and deep water in the middle. I've anchored in 8 ft and had the boat swing out over 100 ft.

The nicest harbor along West Grand Traverse Bay is Suttons Bay. Lots of shops and restaurants; great town owned marina. This is NOT a harbor of refuge (means they DON'T have to take you). Lots of places to anchor around the southern end of the bay but it's not protected from the north.

Apple Island (which goes by a variety of names) is all park; most sailors anchor on the eastern side. No facilities except outhouses on the island but great beaches.

Traverse City itself is fun but the marina can get crowded in the summer and it's a dicey place to anchor because you're not protected from the prevailing northerlies and north westerlies.

hope this helps, have a great trip

#5 ·
I've had a Grand Traverse Bay cruise in the planning stages for two years now. This was supposed to be the summer we launched our little expedition but alas, life got in the way. In addition to pouring over charts and the always helpful Water Way Guide to the Great Lakes, I found a couple of online resources that may be of interest to you.

Cruising Grand Traverse Bay has a series of great 2-3 minute videos of points of interest on GTB.

Northern Michigan Guide, Traverse City to Mackinac Island is an online magazine for the area with a lot of info on Sleeping Bear Dunes and GTB in general.

Good luck and just maybe we will see you out there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.